ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First shotgun for clays help?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:40 am 
Field Grade

I'll try to keep this short because usually I get lengthy.

Shot clays at a friend's farm not long ago and loved it!!! Never had any interest after shooting my tactical shotgun because I didn't think my shoulder could take 100 rounds nor even hit anything! Fast forward and after shooting a semi auto, it was way softer and I was hitting clay!

Now I'm hooked!!!

I've done a lot of research/reading before posting this so I'm hopefully not asking dumb questions.

I know I need to hold different guns to see how they feel before anything! With that said, I am leaning towards a Maxus carbon fiber or sporting...also not sure if 28" or 30"? What I need help with is should I be looking at something cheaper to start with...SX4, A300? I eventually want a browning so I feel going cheaper is just money that I could have put towards what I want.

If it matters (aside from me holding them) I'm 6'2" 225. I will be primarily be using this on friends farms with a thrower and every once in a while sporting clays and trap but right now friends places 90% of the time. I have no interest in hunting and that's where I feel I should go with 30" but in the back of my head I feel the 28" is more universal if I change my mind.

Thanks for any and all help in advance!!!

Post subject: Re: First shotgun for clays help?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Which gun did you use at your friends? That seemed to work for you from your post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:00 pm 
Crown Grade

If you like the Maxus, get a Maxus. 28" or 30", which ever feels right to you! Those 2" matter only in your head.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:06 pm 
Field Grade

Colt99 wrote:
Which gun did you use at your friends? That seemed to work for you from your post.

Not sure which exact model but a 28" SA Weatherby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:07 pm 
Field Grade

Oldfarmer wrote:
If you like the Maxus, get a Maxus. 28" or 30", which ever feels right to you! Those 2" matter only in your head.

I wasn't sure if it made sense to go 30" because of my height and because I don't plan on hunting with it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

A 30” would be fine for clays. Your height shouldn’t matter. If tou ever did want to use it for hunting, you could purchase an additional barrel in either a 26” or 28”

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Barrel length is more an issue of balance rather than fit - it's a personal preference. I like a 28" barrel in my semi-auto but that's just me. Lots of people use 30".

Just keep in mind that a 28" o/u and a 28" autoloader are not going to feel the same. Semi-autos of course have longer receivers in general, so they tend to be longer than O/Us with the same length of barrel. The balance will be different, you'll just have to find what you prefer.

Personally I like a 28" Semi-auto in 12 gauge (I'm kind of a short person) and for small bore my go to is a 28" 20 gauge O/U which is much lighter and shorter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:39 pm 
Crown Grade

For targets, I'd opt for a 30" in whatever semi brand you and your wallet prefer. Try to shoot as many as you can; just holding is better than nothing, but not as effective as actually shooting them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:16 am 
Utility Grade

For what it's worth I have a 30" Maxus 5 for rough shooting and hill shooting over here, I also have a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 30" barrels O/U for range days, I never considered a shorter barrel as I believe they swing faster. Add into the mix I have extended chokes for the Beretta so in effect my O/U barrels are in effect 32" :-)
In the end it's what shoots comfortably in your hand, a good clay range or gun shop should let you try various guns to see how they a) fit and b) how they swing. If you have friends at the range ask to try their guns, in the end it's down to what works for you.

I only recently returned to shotgun shooting after a break of thirty odd years and it's a whole different ballgame now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:27 am 
Field Grade

I had a MaxusSporting Clays Gold with 28" barrel. I shoot clays. I felt the gunneeded a little more front end weight . I always wished I had gotten the 30" barrel.

Just an FYI, I believe the browning chokes are much more open than one would think. For example, Improved Modified is typically .025" constriction, the Browning Improved Modified is .015". .015" is the same as a Briley Light Modified. The Full choke goes to .037" That is considered extra full by most conventions.

The gun was reliable all the way down to 3/4 oz loads.

Personally, if I were to do it again, I would get a Beretta and have an adjustable comb and adjustable pad installed. You can easily add weight to the front by changing the end cap on the forearm.

If you ecver become very recoil sensitive, you can add most any recoil device to the Beretta without having to worry about interference from the recoil spring tube .

Then again , everyone that ever shot my Maxus shot it lights out. I never did well with it.