ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm a small man looking to buy my first Semi-Auto 12Gauge
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Ive been looking to buy my first semi-auto 12gauge mostly for shooting clay pigeons but also for just shooting for fun. From my research the Tristar Raptor Field or Tristar Raptor ATAC seem to have quite the reputation for its price. However, I'm a small man. I'm 5'1"
with a wingspan of about 5'2"ish, and I weigh 101 pounds. I gladly welcome any insight or suggestions on what semi-auto 12gauges to look at

Post subject: Re: I'm a small man looking to buy my first Semi-Auto 12Gaug
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:21 pm 
Crown Grade

PieSappinMyCake: I too used to shop in the Petite aisle of men's clothing. However, it is now the Petite Pregnant aisle due to my build being quite similar to a small but very pregnant woman. It is not a pretty picture as you can imagine. :shock:

I think for reduced recoil and overall a great do-it-all gun I recommend the Remington V3. There are many others that feel the same way. They make a version, "Compact model" that provides easy factory adjustments to the length of pull from 13 inches to 14. I would try and see if I could buy the buttstock for a compact and put it on the regular size V3 synthetic. It is what I will do if I go duck hunting again because I need a shorter LOP when bundled up.

Check it out in the link I provided. Good luck!

https://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_V3_compact.html

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:33 pm 
Utility Grade

oyeme wrote:
PieSappinMyCake: I too used to shop in the Petite aisle of men's clothing. However, it is now the Petite Pregnant aisle due to my build being quite similar to a small but very pregnant woman. It is not a pretty picture as you can imagine. :shock:

I think for reduced recoil and overall a great do-it-all gun I recommend the Remington V3. There are many others that feel the same way. They make a version, "Compact model" that provides easy factory adjustments to the length of pull from 13 inches to 14. I would try and see if I could buy the buttstock for a compact and put it on the regular size V3 synthetic. It is what I will do if I go duck hunting again because I need a shorter LOP when bundled up.

Thanks for the suggestion!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:35 pm 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:

Second on the V3 Compact stock on a synthetic. Excellent trigger, almost negligible recoil, especially for a 12 . Excellent field gun.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:37 pm 
Limited Edition

Agree with oyeme, I'm on the small side myself and feel finding a gun that fits you is extremely important even if it means spending more. Understand too that altering a stock to fit is a simple task for most gunsmiths, if at all possible try to shoot several guns before taking the plunge.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

What's your sleeve length?

I'd check out models marketed to women although you might not like the cast. Field model guns tend to have slightly shorter stocks as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:08 am 
Field Grade

Remington V3 Compact

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:31 am 
Crown Grade

OP, check for PM just sent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Can't go wrong with an A400, lots of people use this to get started and it has a very attractive price point and you won't be disappointed with the quality Beretta offers. If you have a higher budget, Fabarm's XLR is another great choice. I have heard nothing but great things about the Fabarms and they are very attractive to the eye considering their price point of around $1,800. Just depends what your budget is, both brands offer models that have an adjustable comb which I highly recommend to get the best gun fit possible. Best of luck with your search!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

The Beretta A300 Outlander Synthetic has a very good range of length of pull options with the supplied pad and spacer arrangement. You can get a 13" length of pull out of the box. The gun is also a solid value; the price is very reasonable, I think. I really enjoy mine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Four month old original post. Wonder what he decided?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:

Ooops! I looked at the last post and took it for granted the whole thing was recent. Oh well. I hope the OP found a shotgun that fit him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:02 pm 
Utility Grade

desmobob wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:

Ooops! I looked at the last post and took it for granted the whole thing was recent. Oh well. I hope the OP found a shotgun that fit him.

I went with a tristar raptor field, due to its awesome price point and it came highly rated from many reviewers. I bought an adjustable pistol grip/stock combofor it too, which gave me great length of pull but due the the angle your trigger finger is at with a pistol grip makes the trigger pull very weird, basically forcing you to pull it with your finger tip.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks for getting back with us. I`m sure others appreciate it as well. Far too often folks come here asking for advice, posters express an interest and offer advice and suggestions, and then the OP just disappears, never rendering the courtesy to those who responded of letting them know their final decisions. Hope you enjoy your gun, and thanks again for responding and " closing the loop ".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:48 pm 
Crown Grade

PieSappinMyCake wrote:
desmobob wrote:
Tidefanatic wrote:

I went with a tristar raptor field, due to its awesome price point and it came highly rated from many reviewers. I bought an adjustable pistol grip/stock combofor it too, which gave me great length of pull but due the the angle your trigger finger is at with a pistol grip makes the trigger pull very weird, basically forcing you to pull it with your finger tip.

Your first pad on your finger is where you should be pilling the trigger

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:42 pm 
Field Grade

I'd also look at the Mossberg 930. I believe the walnut stock model has a lop of 13 7/8, and the synthetic is right at 14". I'm also on the smaller side at 5'6", and I find the Mossbergs to fit me very well. Just another option to explore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:20 pm 
Field Grade

willy1125 wrote:
I'd also look at the Mossberg 930. I believe the walnut stock model has a lop of 13 7/8, and the synthetic is right at 14". I'm also on the smaller side at 5'6", and I find the Mossbergs to fit me very well. Just another option to explore

I second this. Always been a Mossberg man myself.