ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New member question
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello guys. I'm a new member of the forum and also a beginner in shotgun. I want to ask a question, if you don't mind
What Shot Gun Is Best For Duck Hunting? I have searching but there are so many answers which make me a little confused in choosing
I'll appreciate if someone can give opinion
Thanks
geometry dash

Last edited by nbaumbach on Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: New member question
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

You are gonna get a lot of different answers to this question. Honestly, there are many great options out there. You have to determine what fits your needs best, and what feels more comfortable. Auto loaders are the most common. They provide a third shot that side by sides and over/under guns don’t, and they offer quicker target acquisition for follow up shots than pump guns. Then there is the 3” vs 3.5” decision. Some believe all a hunter needs for waterfowl hunting is a 3” gun. Some prefer to have 3.5” capability. 3” guns usually handle light target loads better than 3.5” guns, but 3.5” guns have an advantage when bringing down geese.

There are two types of auto loaders, and both have their fans.

Gas guns are very popular among waterfowl hunters. I prefer gas guns myself. They utilize gas expended from the shell when fired to operate a piston that works the action of the gun to expel spent shells, and load another. The main advantage of a gas gun is recoil reduction. They are the softest shooting of all shotguns. However, using gas to operate the mechanism does cause them to get dirty. Advances in technology have increased the reliability of gas guns to the point where you can easily go over 1000 rounds or more between cleanings. There are plenty of options out there as well at several different price points. The Beretta A400 Line (3.5” gun) is their flag ship gun. They run close to $2k, as does the Fabarm XLR5 (3” gun). The Browning Maxus Line (3.5”)is FNs high end gun. They usually run close to $1,500. The Winchester SX4 is a great value for a 3.5” capable auto loader. Similar gas system to the Maxus and you can get one for under $1,000. The Beretta A300 is an extremely popular gun as well. It’s a very reliable 3” auto loader that you can find in the $650 to $800 range. There are still a few new Remington Versa Max Sportsman guns in stores. I purchased one myself this year. They are the softest shooting shotguns I’ve ever shot, and will reliably cycle everything from target loads, up to 3.5” turkey rounds. There’s also the Mossberg 930 and 935. The 930 is a 3” and the 935 is 3.5”. There are many more, but those are the most popular.

Inertia guns have a huge following in waterfowl hunting circles. They they run cleaner, don’t have to be maintained as much, and are usually very reliable. Inertia guns have less moving parts and are usually much lighter than gas guns. However, the recoil on and inertia gun is much harsher than gas guns. Firing a lot of 3” and 3.5” shells can cause some bruising and flinching. The high end of inertia guns are the Benelli line. They are quality shotguns, but there are other options out there that are just as reliable for half the price. Franchi Affinity (3”) and Intensity (3.5”) have a good reputation. Prices range from $700 to $1000. Stoeger is a less expensive inertia gun that has a reputation for reliability as well. They are probably the least expensive non Turkish made autoloaders. Retay Masai Mara (3” or 3.5”) is a Turkish made shotgun, but they are gaining a loyal following from waterfowl hunters and have some innovative designs in the bolt and trigger group. They can be had in the $800 to $1200 range.

I know this doesn’t exactly answer your question, but in the end, you’re the one who has to decide what’s the best hunting gun for you. Everyone is different and a gun that fits me may not fit you at all. Go to gun stores. Ask questions, shoulder guns. Shoot any you can get your hands on before making a decision, then get the gun you like best. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use a Stoeger 2000. It is an inexpensive autoloader made in Turkey. Stoeger offers a 3500 that is a 3.5 inch autoloader. It is also made in Turkey. From my experience with Stoeger, i highly recommend them. I have been using the 2000 series about 20 years. They are 3 inch chambered. That is really all that you need. Those 3.5 inch shells are not necessary.

My take on your question is get yourself a Stoeger 3000. It is all you need and is much less expensive than the high dollar guns.

The only non-Turkish guns made by Stoeger are doubles made in Brazil. My experience with Brazilian doubles has encourage me not to recommend them.

Members who have experience with duck hunting should be able to tell you what they use. You are confused with all the choices out there. So, don't sink a whole lot of money in a name brand gun when a Stoeger 3000 works and works well. You may luck up and find the discontinued 2000 at a gun store. I have never had a problem with any of mine and I owned three until my sons "inherited"them.

Happy hunting, Baumbach.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:28 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you so much guys. I appreciate it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

When I started duck hunting, most everyone used a pump gun. I still prefer a 3" 12 ga pump for duck hunting. There are many good pump guns on the market for duck hunting, Mossberg 500 or 835, Browning BPS, Benelli Nova, or a Remington 870. Remington is not currently in production but there are lots of them around. You just need to figure out which one you like the best. They are all very reliable guns.

If you decide to go with a semi automatic shotgun, SHughes did a good write up. I honestly feel that the Beretta A300 is one of the best buys on the market for an American made semiautomatic 3" 12 ga. Good luck with your search.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Like already stated, it depends on what type of duck hunting you do. Shooting ducks over deeks, you might be able to get along with a 2 3/4" 20 ga., particularly if you shoot decent ammo. like bismuth. Looking at the cost of steel ammo., you can reload bismuth for a little more. If you do any pass shooting, 1.25 oz. tungsten alloy #5s or #4's will reach out & touch. Only practice & experience will tell you what type of shotgun handles best for you & which type you shoot best.