ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My first shotgun: a Belgian "Guild Gun" SxS 12 ga.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:29 am 
Utility Grade

I'm pretty much in love. I've taken it to the trap range three times already.

It's a 100-year-old+ Belgian "guild gun" that was sold by Félix Warnier in Paris sometime likely before WWI. It's in pretty great shape for its age and seems to have been well taken care of. It has a fairly heavily cast off stock, which works well for me, because I have a large head. I'm only using it at the range, so I'm sticking with low-power target loads to be on the safe side.

It has fluid steel barrels, 2 ¾" chambers and is nitro proofed. The case and cleaning kit are from Jeff's Outfitters in Cape Girardeau, MO, and seems to be of extremely high quality.

Post subject: Re: My first shotgun: a Belgian "Guild Gun" SxS 12 ga.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nice looking gun.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:41 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Be advised---those "low powered" target loads are frequently as high pressure as a lot of hunting loads !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:55 am 
Crown Grade

Nice looking! And the proof marks say 70MM, not 65mm?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:11 am 
Crown Grade

oneounceload is subtly asking whether the gun is proofed for 2.5 or 2.75 inch chambers. You should verify that immediately, especially before doing anymore shooting.
That is very lovely gun, with way above average wood. You should be proud! I bet it handles beautifully and is an excellent field gun which is how it should be employed. Lots of cast off is quite beneficial to many right handed shooters. They discover that if they ever try a gun so stocked. It looks like someone added a proper new pad to it at some point; maybe redid the wood finish at that time because it is sure in fine condition. If you find it has 2 1/2 inch chambers, I would not be concerned as those length shells are readily available nowadays. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:00 am 
Utility Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Nice looking! And the proof marks say 70MM, not 65mm?

Yep. 70mm.

Here's an explanation of the Belgian mark:

It also has the nitro proof mark, so it's proofed for modern smokeless powder.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:08 am 
Utility Grade

oyeme wrote:
oneounceload is subtly asking whether the gun is proofed for 2.5 or 2.75 inch chambers. You should verify that immediately, especially before doing anymore shooting.
That is very lovely gun, with way above average wood. You should be proud! I bet it handles beautifully and is an excellent field gun which is how it should be employed. Lots of cast off is quite beneficial to many right handed shooters. They discover that if they ever try a gun so stocked. It looks like someone added a proper new pad to it at some point; maybe redid the wood finish at that time because it is sure in fine condition. If you find it has 2 1/2 inch chambers, I would not be concerned as those length shells are readily available nowadays. Good luck!

Thanks, yes, it's a beauty. I've fired probably 150 rounds through it so far - a box at a time at the trap range. I'm still getting the hang of it, but I'm getting more accurate with every visit. It does handle beautifully and is a joy to shoot. I'll never afford a Purdey or H&H, so this is about as close as I'll get...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:18 am 
Crown Grade

Great find...........have fun!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

bscepter,

Great old Guild gun for sure, I would use RST or Poly SpredR's, this is a fine old Grouse & Woodcock double gun. Forget the line shooting with her and start doing some bird hunting.

Congrats on owning a fine old Grouse Guild Gun! A real nice find for sure.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
bscepter,

Congrats on owning a fine old Grouse Guild Gun! A real nice find for sure.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

bscepter,

I also wanted to tell you how nice the stocks are on your Belgian 12 gauge Guild Gun. Beautiful wood on that old gun! That gun you do not give up.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:01 pm 
Crown Grade

You have no reason for thinking your gun is inferior to an H&H because they used many Birmingham box locks and put their name on them after final finish. I know because I had one.

How much does it weigh? If it is a true "game gun" it should go for around 6 lbs 8 ounces.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:25 am 
Utility Grade

oyeme wrote:
You have no reason for thinking your gun is inferior to an H&H because they used many Birmingham box locks and put their name on them after final finish. I know because I had one.

How much does it weigh? If it is a true "game gun" it should go for around 6 lbs 8 ounces.

That's funny - it literally weighs 6 lbs 8 ounces on the nose. And, thanks, I love it. H&H or no.

In fact, I weighed it because I made a Purdey-style label for it and needed to know its weight:

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Just a bit of esoterica for your label from what I know, and I could be wrong. The type of specifics as you list were traditionally found about 30% of the time on a smaller label than the makers label, and it would be located in the bottom right hand corner inside of the lid. The makers label was centered in the inside lid and only had the makers info including address and any advertisement such as maker for HRH Muckedy Muck. BTW, contrary to popular opinion the makers labels were not usually leather, but actually just paper.

Brits labeled their chokes in that era on their lower right hand labels as 1/4, 1/2/, 3/4 and Full. That corresponded to approximately .010, .020, .030 and .040. Markings of 3/4 were rare. Any shot loads, chamber length and such was also on that right side label. The barrels themselves were simply marked "choke" or not marked. A barrel marked as "choke" simply meant that it had at least .008 constriction but could have far more. The barrel not marked was considered cylinder but actually may have had a bit of constriction as long as less than .008.

This is provided based on you wanting to do something like a Brit company would have provided. I have not looked at enough samples of the French or Belgium guns to be able to provide any information.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:26 am 
Utility Grade

oyeme wrote:
Just a bit of esoterica for your label from what I know, and I could be wrong. The type of specifics as you list were traditionally found about 30% of the time on a smaller label than the makers label, and it would be located in the bottom right hand corner inside of the lid. The makers label was centered in the inside lid and only had the makers info including address and any advertisement such as maker for HRH Muckedy Muck. BTW, contrary to popular opinion the makers labels were not usually leather, but actually just paper.

Brits labeled their chokes in that era on their lower right hand labels as 1/4, 1/2/, 3/4 and Full. That corresponded to approximately .010, .020, .030 and .040. Markings of 3/4 were rare. Any shot loads, chamber length and such was also on that right side label. The barrels themselves were simply marked "choke" or not marked. A barrel marked as "choke" simply meant that it had at least .008 constriction but could have far more. The barrel not marked was considered cylinder but actually may have had a bit of constriction as long as less than .008.

This is provided based on you wanting to do something like a Brit company would have provided. I have not looked at enough samples of the French or Belgium guns to be able to provide any information.

Thanks for the info. I was sort of just messing around, really. I based the label on a Purdey one like this I found online.

I ended up placing mine to the left of the makers label, like this:

Here's mine. Again, I know it's not correct; I just wanted to have the feel of a vintage case.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:43 am 
Crown Grade

It is your "design" and therefore appropriate. It looks good. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:02 pm 
Utility Grade

oyeme wrote:
It is your "design" and therefore appropriate. It looks good. Enjoy.

Well, I see now that it's probably the shotgun equivalent of putting an AMG badge on a Honda, but as I said, I was really just goofing around and trying to give the case a vintage feel to match the gun itself.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Beautiful.