ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Releasing Trigger Pressure After Disassembly for Storage
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi,
Not new to firearms or long guns, but my first O/U is on the way, a vintage Kodensha Winchester 101 Trap. I've also picked up an SKB case for storage once cleaned and broken down, but my question is about how and when in the process to release the trigger pressure without damaging anything.

I have snap caps on the way as well, but I can't find anything in the current Win 101 Owner's Manual about this.

Don't want to store it with the triggers in ready to fire position, so how/when do I release the spring pressure for storage.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Post subject: Re: Releasing Trigger Pressure After Disassembly for Storage
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:24 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't think it maters. Put snap caps in, close the gun, pull the triggers, then take gun down for putting in the case. If it's an inertia trigger (most likely) you may have to bump the recoil pad on something to set the trigger to fire the second bbl.

I use a nylon tipped hammer and hold it against the firing pins. I don't use snap caps, I take the gun apart, then release them. Mostly because I have subgauge tubes in my o/u and don't want to bother with 4 sets of snap caps.

Be mindful of your surroundings and muzzle control. You may know you're using snap caps, others around you have no idea.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:22 pm 
Crown Grade

This topic sure gets discussed a great deal. I have a friend who does it all the time without snap caps and will not believe me that he should not do it that way; and more importantly, that it is totally unnecessary. I never do it on any shotgun and don't believe from my research with gunsmiths that I have used in the past, it makes one bit of difference if you do or don't.

However, I am not trying to convince anyone not to do it. Have at it if you insist, but then do as John H describes and cushion the firing pin fall with snap cap or something.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I dryfire my O/U's quite often and so far nothing bad has happened as a consequence. If you do want to use something to retard the sudden stop of the firing pin, a coin held against the face of the receiver (over the firing pin hole) works very well. Just make sure you know which barrel is selected to fire first and hold the coin over the appropriate hole. :D

You can bump the recoil pad on your work bench or just use the barrel selector switch to switch to the other barrel/pin.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks to the three of yo who have replied so far. Since, between the three of you, you have nearly 25,000 posts here, I may need to rethink this whole idea!

Appreciate your prompt responses and your advice!

So, where did the whole "release the spring pressure" thing come from?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ESquared wrote:
Thanks to the three of yo who have replied so far. Since, between the three of you, you have nearly 25,000 posts here, I may need to rethink this whole idea!

Appreciate your prompt responses and your advice!

So, where did the whole "release the spring pressure" thing come from?

Some people believe that springs, if left compressed, will take a "set". Other people are equally convinced that it doesn't/won't happen. Me, I'm not totally convinced either way and don't obsess over it. If I leave the hammers cocked when the gun is put away, it's no big deal.

If I remember to dryfire the gun before putting it away, that's OK too since I've found nothing in my personal experience to indicate it does any harm. Heck, sometimes, I'll stand there and open, close, and dryfire the gun repeatedly just for practice. BTW, I never miss a target when dryfiring. :wink:

So, do as you wish, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it either way. If the gun is empty, what is the worst that could happen from dryfiring? You might break a firing pin, but those should be replaced occasionally anyway. I just don't remember replacing any firing pins on any of my guns and some of them have considerable rounds through them. If/when I do have to replace one or two, I don't think that $10 is going to break me.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Some time ago, I read a piece by a guy that had pretty impressive materials engineering credentials in which the author explained that every spring has a finite number of tension/relaxation cycles. He claimed that we would do better by our guns by NOT relieving the spring tension on hammer or latch springs since every time that we do so, we shorten the effective life of the spring.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:22 am 
Crown Grade

Ulysses reminded me of something with his posts. I have not seen firing pins break but certainly have seen V springs break, when dry fired or just fired once too many times. Was it the dry firing or just the next firing that would cause the break? Don't know.

In my early shooting years, I used to watch those early Perazzi owners who routinely brought an extra spring or two and a small tool to compress the springs in order to replace them if it occurred when shooting.

That trigger plate action gave then easy access so they could get to work quickly replacing a broken spring. Didn't happen much but obviously enough that they felt it necessary to be like the Boy Scouts and "be prepared".

Finally on some (not all) early American doubles, particularly LC Smith, if you dropped the hammers after having the gun apart; you would not be able to get the forend back on. The only way was to get the hammers cocked again via the cam like cocking rods. Ask me how I know!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:32 am 
Utility Grade

Well, Ulysses and the materials engineer cited by Marshfield and many others in this thread have convinced me to leave well enough alone. It seems that not only would repeatedly releasing that spring pressure have some effect on the spring's effective life (to whatever degree), but it wouldn't be doing wonders for the pins, sears and other moving parts involved in the process.

Sorry to have revived a typical newbie topic, but at least I got it posted in the correct sub-forum!