Shotgun Forum banner

Pheasants: Montezuma, KS

10K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Road Rat 
#1 ·
Thursday, December 11, 2008

Kansas P. Hunt w/ B&R Guide Service.

We just got back from a three day hunt in Montezuma, KS w/ B&R guide service. We had a truly marvelous time! If ya wanna hunt Kansas for pheasant I cannot recommended any bunch more highly. They can be found at http://www.brguides.com/default.html. They really do it right, great food and super hunting very near Montezuma, KS.

After an outstanding home cooked breakfast you are off with Tim Brown the head guide and five to six of his dogs. In less than 10 to 15 minutes you are on your first hunt of the day. It may be walking CRP, checking out a Tail Water pit or stomping through an abandoned farm stead. Tim has plenty of acreage permission or lease to hunt. We never went the same place twice in 3 days. His dogs work close and fast. When 'Toes' goes on point, you had best be ready because a pheasant is going to bust cover shortly. Y'all know the thrill you get when with a loud cackle and a fierce wing beat that beautiful creation of a bird blasts off to 10' in the air in no time.

We hunted CRP, standing milo, cut milo, stubble wheat fields, tail water pits, and brush filled draws

There were three of us and we all limited every day of the hunt before noon. Tuesday, December 9th was tough. We hunted Monday in shirt sleeves. Tuesday we awoke to 40 mph wind, that was blowing the snow horizontally and the wind chill was 4 degrees. There is only one fabric for me in that kinda weather, wool. I had on my Filson wool Waterfowl sweater, and my Cabelas' wool, dry plus, hunting bibs. Those two items coupled with a base layer of Under Armor were all the body clothing I needed. To stay completely toasty I used and neck gaiter, ear gaiter and watch cap all in blaze orange and some Thinsulated gloves. This outfit kept me totally warm and dry no matter where we were walking.

The day ends with more home cooked food made by Mrs. Sherry Brown. She really uses great imagination to prepare a variety of dishes, all of which are excellent. Dessert is awesome. All of the Brown's baked goods are home made and truly delicious. You take a hot shower and then eight hours on a clean bed and you are ready to go again.

I hunted with both my 28 and 12 gauges. I did the 28 thing because my knees are 'bout shot and both the shotgun and the shotshells are much lighter to carry than the 12. I was very pleasantly surprised with my 28. It is a Ruger Red Label that I know has both those that love and those that hate it. So far my RRL, has performed flawlessly. The RRL is very fast to mount and with the mechanical triggers the 2nd shot is there right away. My ammo was factory Winchester Xpress in the 1oz high brass loading of #6 shot. The round and the gun were deadly with several one shot kills. It was also my weapon on my first Pheasant double.

In the wind and cold I shot the B. Rizzini Uplander EL with the straight stock. I love that shotgun. I used the Kent Fast Lead in 1 1/4 number 6's flying at 1400 fps. Needless to say the difference in recoil between the 28 and 12 is instantly apparent. That Kent ammo is devastating on a rooster. In the 40+ mph winds of Tuesday I figured I needed all the firepower I could get; the Rizzini provided all the umph anyone could ask for. I had one really great passing shot on a rooster with the Rizzini. I was walking the west edge of a farmstead and a rooster came around an old dilapidated barn from right to left. The rooster was moving in that wind and had just banked to really take advantage of it and go south when I happened on just the right lead and bang, he cart wheeled to the ground. I will long remember that shot.

We had a great time, great shooting and eating. What else can a guy want?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.