ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dog Tracking Devices
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We spend an awful lot of time and money on our dogs. I was the same, but recently lost my Boykin to a traffic accident after an outside gate was not latched. I think I could have saved his life if I had used one of the products below. If you know of other tracking devices please add them to this thread.
Jay Gentry

Sites that provide GPS tracking of your dog:
http://www.pettracker.com/
The Tagg™ pet tracking system uses advanced GPS tracking technology to allow you to see where your dog is and receive a notification if he or she wanders off. The lightweight tracker attaches to your dog's existing collar, and is designed to be worn at all times, even while swimming.

http://www.pawtrax.co.uk/main/
You just send a SMS from your mobile and within a few seconds it will send you a SMS with a map showing you the location of your lost dog or cat. Pretty Cool we think - K9 meets 007! Using the SMS network (GSM as opposed to GPRS) is the most reliable method of transmitting the location to your phone.
As admitted on a competitors website - "If the dog is in a poor GPRS area, the tracker can still be contacted via sms (requiring a much lower signal strength) to help identify the dog’s location"
Why pay expensive monthly subscriptions to use a less reliable GPRS Tracking service? With the PawTrax ® PATmicro there are no ongoing expensive monthly subscriptions. You choose your own sim (PAYG or Contract) from the provider that you know works best in your area and just pay for each sms sent to your phone as and when you need it.

http://www.retrievatracking.com/default.aspx
Because Retrieva is the only dog tracking collar in the world that delivers:
Live phone tracking on detailed topographical mapping or satellite imagery.
Live tracking to your computer or I-Pad.
Direction and speed of travel.
Location and full status messages on request.
Anti theft features including lock, anti-cut webbing and tamper alert messages.
Three ways to create safe areas / virtual fences.
Panic alert button for the owner sends location to chosen phone numbers.
Alert messages on battery strength, arriving / leaving safe areas.
Historical record of walks, speed of travel, time.

http://www.loc8tor.com/
Our GPS and RF tracking devices will keep tabs on everything you own. From finding lost keys to wayward pets, right through to wandering children and protecting / tracking your business assets. In fact there’s not much the Loc8tor hasn’t been used to find. Try any of our pet, personal locators or GPS tracking devices risk free with our money-back guarantee. Select a category below or go direct to the Loc8tor Store.

Post subject: Re: Dog Tracking Devices
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've seen the ads on TV and thought that it's an interesting product.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reply from Peter Calaway at PawTrax:

Thank you for your interest in PawTrax and the offer of advertising.
I see you are based in USA. Our present product will only work in UK/Europe.
We will be releasing a new product within a few weeks that will work worldwide.
It will also have some advantages over our existing product.

It will work using GPS/GSM/SMS with the location being sent to the owners mobile phone as a google map link

It will work using GPS/GPRS with the location being sent to a server allowing ‘live’ tracking via internet and the recording of movement history.

It will also give the dog owner the ability to track live any number of dogs on a map on a mobile phone, also the location of the owner will be displayed together with distance to the dogs location. Only on Windows mobile at present but soon Android and iPhone.

I’ll keep you informed

Peter Callaway - Founder & Director

PawTrax® Limited

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:38 pm 
Crown Grade

I had an argument w/ a gal I know not long ago. She was telling me she didn't like deer hunters takeing unfair advantage of the deer by using tracking devices to head them off. I tried to tell her the tracking devices were just used to find the dogs after the hunt but am not sure I got through to her. Obviously, if the dog is running a deer, you can hear it. I have never seen a dog owner operating a tracking device with a gun in his hands at the same time. Things people assume & think. Makes you wonder.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

Here is a review on the new Delta and Delta Sport From Garmin... excellent Battery life!

http://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin-delt ... snell.html

It looks pretty good.

2019 Henry H001L
2018 Henry US survival rifle
2017 Browning 725 sporting
2015 Excalibur Micro 335

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:47 pm 
Field Grade

I have a new Garmin delta sport but it is a training collar not a locating device. I do however recommend the Garmin Astro or Alpha GPS tracking collars. They also make a slick little tracking device that will send a message right over your phone if your dog goes outside the perimeter that you set up on a map. It is called the GTU 10

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

That collar is an e-collar. One of my dogs get's a hair now and then and loves to go chase the wind. I got a tracking collar to find him when he pulled that trash. First one was $150 less expensive than the Garmin 320. Was very unpredictable and inaccurate. In a five month period they replaced one collar a month until I got Gun Dog Supply into it. After the time and the trouble I had with the collar, they were gonna take it back and give back my money. Instead I used the money toward a Garmin 320 and added the difference to get it.

I'm pretty challenged with electrical product's like that but and can't figure out all the Garmin can do. Doesn't matter! They say at close range it can be inaccurate and they are right but close range is not my worry, long range is. I have found this guy as far off as a mile and a half and the collar had him pegged exactly where it said he was. Can't say enough about the garmin and don't even have a clue how to work all the stuff.

I don't know that what you really need is a tracker though. The problem is not that the dog was off where you didn't know, the problem is a gate was left open! The GPS collar will not keep your dog from danger, keeping him in will. I would suggest you check into one of the under ground containment device's. I think it's a wire underground and a receiver on a collar for the dog. The dog get's into the wire and get's shocked. It will stop about 99% of the dogs wearing it, if the dog is properly introduced to it. Important to introduce the dog. As I understand it the dog is taken to the containment wire on a leash and let find the wire by getting shocked, keeps the dog away from it. Similar as the procedure to snake break a dog except the dog itself cause's the shock by being where it should not be. I have a brother that got a dog a couple years ago and had the system installed on his property. He absolutely loves it! A sister-in-law also had it put in on her property and her dogs have never crossed it. I have read of a few hard dogs that do take the shock and go thru it but it's pretty rare.

Another option if the gate is the only place the dog is going through is a mechanical self closer on the gate. The gate is let go when you go in and close's itself. Gate would have to be set with a stop to only allow the gate to open into the property.

4150 less than the Garmin 320.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:24 pm 
Field Grade

i use GARMIN ALPHA it cost 800 dollars.
been great around house and in woods hunting.
i did a test of it over on our forum under EVERYTHING ELSE.

http://WWW.smallmunsterlander.info

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

My Bodie just runs way to much, it's nothing to lose him. I got the Garmin 320 and he never get's lost anymore. I've had him out as far as 1 1/2 mi and went right to him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:16 am 
Presentation Grade

Another old post. Ihave no clue about the devices mentioned here. I've used the Sport Dog system but didn't have much luck with it. Went to the Garmin Astro and found what I need. Of course they are rather expensive. I think the Astro 320 when I got it was $550 with one collar and I added a collar later at about another $250. On the up side I had a dog get away and got it on the Astro at 2 1/2 mi from the house. Range is said to be 7 mi on flat ground.

But it your simply wanting to see if your dog is outside the gate there are better answer's. First make the fence high enough the dog can't jump or climb it. then make the gate's open in and put a return spring on them!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

If you have a nice size yard with the Pet Safe electronic invisible fence. No wire needs to be buried, the transmit station goes on the wall in your home, the collar is placed on the dog. The collar beeps when the dog gets to near the invisible fence location, which is a circle around your home. If the dog does not back off from the invisible fence, the collar shocks the dog. The only problem with these Pet safe Invisible Fence is the rechargeable or battery operated collars can eventually go bad. We use one of these Pet safe invisible fences at both the Potter/Tioga training facility and around our 1 acre yard here in Murrysville, Pa.

I also use the DT & Dogtra T&B Collars for training and hunting.
We have also invested in the Garmin Pro 550 mini Plus Tracking collar, and it work very very well and is simple to use.
Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

Does anybody have any actual hands on experience with the new Garment 550 Pro Plus Mini. Can the audio beeper signal from the unit on the dog, be heard for any distance? I am thinking about adding this Garmin tracking training unit to my gun dog training business. However I would like somebody who has had some actual experience with the unit in the woods, to advise me as to its abilities. Also does the Hand Held remote control have a clip on it to attach it to a hunting vest. Have seen Steve Snells video on the 550 Pro plus and it is impressive.

Thanks in advance

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:19 am 
Crown Grade

LC Smith man???
Love my Smiths, I have 3, 12s, a 20 & a 10 ga..
My question is about a dog that adopted me. My experience is mostly with Labrador retrievers & hounds but the dog appears to be a German Shorthair. My wife loves him & he is very affectionate & he does display much inclination to hunt. He sometimes acts more like a hound than a bird dog. I want to take him out to see what he will do but he won't come or let you catch him until he gets tired or it's dinner time. I'm thinking maybe a shocking collar might work but I have heard a lot of horror stories about shocking collars. I recall the old adage that went something like, "To teach a dog something it helps to be smarter than the dog!"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

geometric,

The 1st thing you need to due is bond with the dog, use some treats and get the dog to trust you. If the dog was wild for a time and your wife can get near him, have her bond with the dog 1st then a little at a time you do it also. Once you can have the dog trust you enough to come to you, pet the dog and make friends with it.

After you have done this I will help you further with the training.

If you can take a picture of the dog and post it in your answer to me.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

I keep a little one like those in the butt of several of my firearms, if they get stolen it will be handy to say to the cops they are at this address.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Dave,
Thank you for your reply. Bonding with the dog is not the problem. He is very friendly & my wife has him spoiled rotten. He is also inseparable with my wife's boxer. I think he actually thinks I am hunting with him as he will stay close to me but will not let me catch him. He will come in when he gets tired & it's diner time. The road in front of the house is busy & I am afraid he will get killed. I am thinking of taking him to someplace like an island where it's safe to see what he will do. I will take a picture of him & post it soon as I can figure out how. I have no idea what he could be mixed with but he could easily pass for a German Wirehaired Pointer. He has a large scar in his side like I have seen on dogs that were cut by wild hogs. He is not very old. I would guess two years.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

I did purchase a Garmin Pro 550 Plus Mini collar just recently, it is charging at this time. Had to contact Garmin about whether we could leave the unit on the charger till we need to use it. Was advised that leaving it on the charge longer than the 5 hours or when the green light comes on would damage the unit. Was not real happy about this, it means there is no discharge unit built into the collar or the hand held. I was expecting to be able to leave the collar and transmitter on the charger when not in use. For the money expended I believe this should have been engineered into this Pro 550 mini GPS/training collar. The rest of the engineering seems to be working properly, we will see better when we are able to use the Pro 550 Plus mini in the big Grouse woods with the Dogtra T&B collars. I do like the way the arrow works on the hand held and the yardage shown as to the dogs exact location in the woods. Programming is decently simple also, and not having to look at the hand held while working with the dogs, will also match my Dogtra T&B set up. I do like the 2 mile range on the Collar also. Unfortunately no built in beeper, for master initiated commands, wish they would have engineered it with the beeper also.

So far the Garmin Pro 550 Plus Mini Collar is a go for our Grouse dog training business.

Geometric,

Good luck with training your dog, let me know if I can help you further. You definitely need a recall command that works, I suggest a Dogtra T&B collar for him. You do not want him hurt, he must listen to your command to come to you all the time.

Pine Creek/Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:08 am 
Presentation Grade

geometric,

After bonding with the dog the very first command the dog must lean is come, the dog must come to you every time he is called. Purchase a Dogtra T&B Collar, start out by introducing the beeper to him, and call him to you at the same time. Many gun dogs will respond to the beeper, I use it as a command tool all the time. The dog will start to understand different numbers of beeps as different commands as you train. Remember this, always give the dog the benefit of the doubt, never discipline your dog with the shock collar until he understand right and wrong. With the beeper the dog will understand you the master have long arms, if you need shock the dog, 1st use the nick function not the constant, and adjust he rheostat correctly for the amount of shock needed. Only use what is absolutely necessary to have your dog conform to the commands. The collar is also great for breaking your dog of chasing garments and Deer. I use the high setting for this so the dog believes the animal has given him the shock. This past week I taught my niece in the usage of the Dogtra collar for training her Lab, she the lab has responded to the beeper quite well, and seldom if ever needs the shock to discipline her. Each dog breed and individual dog is different, and there are many different ways to use the T&B Collar.

Good luck with you dog training

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:19 am 
Utility Grade

Dave ,
In time I think you will love the Garmin ,I have the Alpha and have thought about upgrading to the 550 hand controller seems much simpler I also have the Fenix 3 watch which is great much easier to look at here in the deep woods of Potter County.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

potter,

The Garmin Mini 550 pro looks like it will fit into our training program pretty well, so far so good. I do wish they would have built this new Garmin GPS mini collar with a beeper also, these collars are not inexpensive and for the cost the beeper should have been engineered into the package. The GPS and the shock portion of the new collar seem to work quite well, even in the big Potter County woods. I do like the approx 2 mile reach of the collar for sure. However at my age I want my dogs to work the deep woods a little closer than my previous dogs did, especially in the UP with the wolves around. Even here in Pa I am now starting to train them to work a 125 yard circle instead of the 300-400 yard circle Penny and Daisy use to work. At my age I am not as quick in the woods as I use to be, I will not be able to cover the ground I use to in the Grouse woods, so I want the dog a might closer. In fact less than half the distance of my prior dogs Grouse hunting range.

We will see how the Garmin 550 Pro Mini collar does after I use it a few years.

Pine Creek/Dave