ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GSP winter potty training
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:07 am 
Field Grade

We have an 8w old GSP and located in NE Illinois. Any tips on potty training in colder weather? I've been through a couple of German Shepherds and they barely notice the cold.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: GSP winter potty training
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Often and consistently....and, think like the shepherd.

Truly brutal cold or on surfaces not grass may require judgment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:31 pm 
Limited Edition

The pup won't freeze in the amount of time it takes to go outside to go potty. Get a good routine established and pup will go out and do it's business in no time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:08 pm 
Crown Grade

I live in northern Minnesota, there is no difference than in July. Put the dog out after eating, playing, or waking from a nap or if it looks antsy or uncomfortable. I have done that with the dozens of dogs I have owned with no problems.

The only problem pet I have had was the Maltese/Yorkshire mix my wife picked up one December. She thought it too small for the cold and used a "fake grass potty training aid" and now the dang dog sneaks off to do its business on a rug in inclement weather. I think my wife learned her lesson.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:07 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks all!

I had not considered grass may feel warmer than hard surfaces.

Thanks for letting me know I don't have to be quite so concerned about her in cold weather. Just yesterday I saw 2 Gasps in an SUV with their heads out the windows. It was below 20 degrees.

We've been working on keeping the GSP on a schedule. We also have a 4-month+ old GSD and her potty training has been fairly easy being older.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I picked my pup up when she was 10 weeks old. If she wasn't in her crate in the house, she was on a four foot leash, the other end of which was attached to my belt. Keeping her from "stealth" peeing combined with regular trips outside made for quick house training. MAJ