ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Lab puppy help
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:04 am 
Utility Grade

Just getting into upland game, have hunted with friends that have dogs but never had one of my own. I was all set to get a Pointer of some sort but our family lab went and got herself pregnant and had pups
Mother is Lab
Father is Lab mix. (His mom was 75% lab 25% golden retriever and his dad was part lab and part Australian Shepherd)

So what ever the math come out to that’s what these pups are.

Any way my boys want to keep one so I won’t be getting my pointer but I figure maybe I can make a flushing dog out of it at the very least.

Puppies were 3 weeks old on Christmas.

What trading tools do I need?
Recommendations on a good training book.
Any info will help. Just want to get a head start on good training.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: New Lab puppy help
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:36 am 
Tournament Grade

I would buy this book, read it, follow the training and see what you have after 4-5 months. You should have a decent idea what you are working with at that point. I don't think I am telling you anything you don't already know, but the breeding may or may not have passed along many of the hunting ability/desire traits. You may have a perfectly serviceable hunting companion (marginally likely) or you may have a perfectly serviceable family pet (more likely).....

"Generally" I would say it is easier to make a marginal dog into a semi-functional retriever than a pointing/flushing dog. Your mileage may vary.

https://www.amazon.com/10-Minute-Retrie ... 1572233036

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:26 am 
Crown Grade

For amateur trainers and labs, I like Richard Wolter’s books. They will get you off to a good start and you can branch later if needed. I have used them on 3 labs; sometimes in conjunction with other books. Depends on where you want to go with your dog.

Game Dog is the latest. Covers upland and waterfowl.
https://www.amazon.com/Game-Dog-Retriever-Waterfowl-Training/dp/0525939423/

There should be someone coming along soon telling me I am crazy, as if I don’t already know. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

And sometimes it works out very well. I have a 1 year old male from a interlude between my lab and the daughters GWP. I've owned a lot of well bred gun dogs and this guy is the first mutt in over 30 years. He's way ahead of where any of them were at his age and very easy to train. No collar and no FF. first goose retrieve at 1 year and a limit of pheasant at 14 months. Sometimes the stars align,and it can with yours. I wish you all the best. If your into DVD's get Mike Stawskis Fowl Dogs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Deeretech.
More information would be helpful. The fact that mom is a pure lab may not mean much. What is her pedigree? What are the pedigrees for the other dogs? You may have something that will work out very well for you. Depending on what you are hunting and your standards, you may have something that will work out very well for you.

If you can get any pedigrees and send them to me that would be helpful.

Training could be a critical part of what you end up with. The best bred dog can be worthless without it.

Which means how much time you are willing to invest is going to be a determining factor.

10 minute retriever would be a good place to start.It doesn't teach you to train in ten minutes, it teaches how to train in ten minute sessions or so. The game dog books are very old and there have been many advancements in training since they were written.

If you are willing to invest the time, it would be good to find a local retriever club or group and try and get hands on help. That may mean throwing bumpers for them, the advantage is getting to see different dogs at different ages getting trained.

Lastly what is your primary quarry???

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:05 pm 
Utility Grade

I have no idea on pedigree. The mom was a rehome situation of a young couple that did not have the time or space for a dog of that size and energy level. She does love to play fetch but that probably doesn’t mean that her pups will be anything like that. The other dogs same situation no idea on pedigree. So here we have wild dove a few wild quail and very slim wild pheasant. And then pin raised quail and pheasant.

Mostly hunted dove but have a little experience with quail. I really have no idea what I am doing as far as training. I do know a few guys with bird dogs and see what they have to say or if they can give me some help with him.

My expectations are pretty low. I want him to pick up dead doves and bring them to me with out chewing the crap out of them as well as make the quail and pheasants fly so I can shoot them. I assume the retrieving is an easier thing to teach.

I will see what I have after a while and go from there. I may end up getting a “real” bird dog before it’s all over but one can not have to many dogs right?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

And then again you may already have a wagon full of "real"bird dog. Treat the pup like you paid a grand for him. Enjoy and keep us posted.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Absolutely Positively Gundog training. Maybe 12 bucks on amazon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

deeretech,

My advise is to keep one of the pups for your kids and purchase the Pointer you originally planned to acquire for your upland hunting. When a man constantly gives up on what he really wants, down stream he regrets it. If you are going to feed, care and train 2 dogs, one more is no big deal. I have a few wives who wish I would not give this kind of advise, however my business is training and raising Grouse dogs and once you have 2 dogs a third is no big deal and it can make a man very happy to be able to upland hunt the way he most enjoys. You can train the Lab as a Duck dog and still have the Pointer you want most for upland hunting, a win, win situation as far as hunting goes.

In fact a Pointer and a well trained Lab in the field together is a great way to hunt. The Pointer finds and points the birds and the lab flushes the birds on command and retrieves the birds to hand.

Pine Creek/Dave
Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Join this website. It will be the best $60 you ever spend. Trust me. Theretrievertrainer.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:25 pm 
Crown Grade

I had a coon hunting buddy that said, "A good coon dog is where you find it". I think that is true of all of them but the best bloodline tips the scales in your favor! We don't have any grouse here. DNR is trying to revive the Bobwhite population but for now it ain't very good. Pop always had pointers. He said in the old days, if he didn't kill 50 birds on a week end, he had a bum hunt! I am not sure what this knuckle head mutt I have is. Looks like a German Short hair. Since my better half has made a pet out of him & I am stuck with it, I guess I will take him out & see what he will do. My guess is that is why I have him. I live close to a quail preserve which leads me to think somebody got disgusted with him & left him here. He had a ratty collar but no phone # or address. He loves to hunt but not sure what. I guess I could take him to ND with me & see how he reacts to pheasant & sharptail.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:16 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a 13 month old english lab from Blue Cypress kennels, I hunt pheasants in Montana, I need a recommendation for a dog trainer near Winter Park Fl. that will shoot birds and have him retrieve.

He is not bothered by shotgun noise as I shoot sporting clays, while he watches.

Thank you for any help