ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hunting shirt and pants not made of cotton
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:31 am 
Utility Grade

Do they exists?

When I first started deer hunting, I quickly discovered I hated getting cold feet. I visited a store that specialized in hiking and mountain climbing, and asked to see the best pair of boots they had for warmth. I was educated on my real issue of wearing cotton socks.

Per the store owner, "cotton is refered to as death cloth by mountain climbers." It has no insulation value what so ever once it get's wet.

I've worn some form of wool socks ever since, so why is it every hunting shirt and paints made today is made of cotton.

I know you can get pants made of fleece, but what shirt options are there?

Last edited by Litijori on Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Hunting shirt and pants not made of cotton
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Litijori wrote:
Do they exists?

When I first started deer hunting, I quickly discovered I hated getting cold feet. I visited a store that specialized in hiking and mountain climbing, and asked to see the best pair of boots they had for warmth. I was educated on my real issue of wearing cotton socks.

Per the store owner, "cotton is refered to as death cloth by mountain climbers." It has no insulation value what so ever once it get's wet.

I've worn some form of wool socks ever since, so why is it every hunting shirt and paints made today is made of cotton.

That store owner's "specialization" could easily lead to predicting his comments....use, location, peers and conditions drive decisions in clothing, eh.

Wool pants are certainly available...often heavy but available.
Same for shirts, in various weights.
I assume an Internet search would help.
New "technical" shirts also have a definite value.
LL Bean has one.....and clearly not everyone needs or wants and expedition level of garment....nor does everyone chill and shudder the same.
I wear the LL Bean offering with an undershirt(often cotton bit not always) down to zero when birdhunting in winter.
At times tho, a windshear wool or non-wool garment helps.

Wool maintains much of it's benefits when wet but ...eh, it's just a choice that may fit one's conditions or sense of tradition or comfort level.
One choice of many.

That said, a wool Stormy Kromer can not be bested short of 70 degrees or so. {hs#

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:31 pm 
Crown Grade

https://www.gostwear.com/hunting-c-86.h ... gJ_ffD_BwE

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/506578? ... lsrc=aw.ds

https://biggamelogic.com/wool-hunting-pants/

And on and on.............Google found these in .00125 seconds

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Litijori wrote:
Do they exists?

Wool or synthetic material (polyester, nylon, rayon, etc) is what you want. There are many synthetic materials on the market. They will provide warmth, but at the same time allow perspiration to pass through and therefore don't become soggy and cold once you cool down.

For some people, "hunting" means walking a short distance at an easy pace to get to their hunting spot, then sitting at that spot for several hours. Under those conditions, cotton does fine. OTOH, if your hunting involves considerable walking, especially if climbing hills is involved, then you don't want cotton undergarments.

Look through some hunting and hiking catalogs and you should be able to find what you want.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

Litijori wrote:
Do they exists?

LL Bean was mentioned and I got one of there shirts for pheasants this year. It’s a new favorite of mine. With orange, good for deer too if you take your jacket off when field dressing or dragging it out of the woods.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/60157?p ... land-shirt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

The modern synthetic materials are so good for outdoor activities, I don't think I own but two or three pairs of cotton pants these days; just a few pairs of jeans.

I like the "tactical" pants from companies like 5:11, Blackhawk, etc. for hunting (and everyday wear). Lots of practical pockets make it easy to bring and organize everything you might need during the day. They are comfortable, lightweight, and dry quickly. Layering with synthetic under layers provide extra insulation when needed and an extra outer layer of a waterproof/breathable shell takes care of wind and rain, too.

Times have never been better for good outdoor clothing. "There is no bad weather; only bad clothing."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

I still like cotton for shirts, outer coat or shell is the rain shield.
Wool pants suit me, either new or Mil surplus.
Windproof pants over wool pants when it really gets cold.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:22 pm 
Crown Grade

I saw some camo wool pants at a gun show where you ordered them about 6-8 inches larger than your waist and inseam. After a few washings, it would shrink to your proper size but the material would have such a tight weave that they were basically waterproof.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:58 am 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

I use Gore-Tex and wool both and have the standard cotton stuff also. The Gore-Tex gets used one heck of a lot especially in the rain and snow.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:36 pm 
Crown Grade

https://www.duckworthco.com/

US made wool and wool blends sourcing the wool from their ranch in Montana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:45 am 
Presentation Grade

announceload,

Duckworth makes some real nice clothing, great stuff!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:02 pm 
Utility Grade

I know what the OP is saying. I tell everyone that is new to enjoying active outdoor winter sports "The FIRST rule is never wear even ONE THING made of cotton. NOT ONE THING! REALLY! I MEAN IT! NOT ONE THING! The second rule is LAYERING! The third rule is "don't let yourself sweat if you can take off a layer first."

The reason is that cotton will hold moisture from your body or outside and when you slow down, you'll get cold and clammy and miserable. A polypro or synthetic underlayer is just amazing for keeping comfy in the cold and wet. Wool is one of my favorites for a next layer, I like the texture of even coarse wool but some people find it itchy. Breathable outer layers like gortex are crazy good. I have sat in the freezing rain in my big gortex camo jacket, warm and toasty, feeling like I was inside a tent. But....

Walking in the woods and blackberry brambles the whole game is your outer layer must be incredibly sturdy, briar and seed pod resistant, it might get snagged on barbed wire, it's gonna get blood on it if you are doing things right, it can't smell artificial for many types of game, and it should be economical. My dad had some old hunting gear that was waxed cotton. After 50 years or so it just sort of got the dry-rot, but it was good stuff. I expect you can still buy it for about the price of a match grade English double... Sturdy old cotton protective layer under modern tech underlays works for me.. but falling in creek or getting rained on is MUCH heavier climbing out with.

I have an old pair of Columbia pants that had a strange outer shell of a teflon coated fabric. It shed briars and was reasonably thorn-proof but after 20 years its well pilled-up now. I might need to start looking for replacement.

If your feet are getting cold while sitting.. I got my LaCrosse pac boots three sizes too large and stuff the pocket sized handwarmers up in the toes. Lasts for hours. Wear good wool socks as your feet might sweat! Bring extra pocket warmers. Toasty.