ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Favorite game to hunt?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:01 am 
Utility Grade

Jealous of the variety of game some of you guys have in other countries.

We only really have wild pigs around here to shoot on the farm, but I really love venison so will be taking a trip interstate to pick up some deer. Been spending my time reading up in the meantime. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

Having grown up in Potter County, Pa where Grouse and Woodcock hunting have been part of our family tradition, back as far as any of my family can remember, even the Deer and Turkey hunting take a back seat to working Grouse and Woodcock with a fine gun dog. We have a fantastic Black Bear population here that the men love to hunt also.

For me however nothing matches the excitement of watching a great Grouse dog match wits with the King of Game birds. We have owned and trained a lot of different kinds of Gun dogs thru the generations, from German Short Hairs, Weimars to Small Munsterlanders, Gordons to Ryman Setters, our family has owned, hunted and trained many different gun dogs.

I always keep coming back to George Ryman's Pa Grouse dogs, both his Ryman English Setters and his Gordons Setters, his Gordons few people actually know about. It's the way they hunt, especially in the snow covered mountains, they drift thru the endless mountains and handle Grouse in ways that I truly love, instinctively setting birds for my gunning without having to be spoken too.

George had a saying about his dogs, just take my dogs to the woods and they will teach a man how to Grouse hunt. Truer words were never spoken, I learned behind my Grandfathers incredible female Ryman Setter Maggie Mae, I started when I was 5 years old. When GBE started complaining about the lack of Grouse in lower Pa and WVa we had so many Grouse in Potter County, Pa my Grandmother called them nuisances birds, they were in her garden so much.

We hunted Woodcock along with our Grouse, some of the finest gunning a man can ever have. My Grandfather liking the taste of the Woodcock he shot many, and he ate everyone of them. I love the taste of Grouse, a lot more than Woodcock. My Grandmother made Grouse meals that were out of this world good. GBE and Kay only thought they knew how to cook Grouse, my Grandmothers cooking witchery, Kay Evans would have given her soul to possess. Not just Grouse & Woodcock but Rabbit and Squirrel, and wild Turkey & Venison, even some incredible Bear meals. My Grandmothers Elk roasts were Potter County Legend. On top of all this, my father was a Master Chef and Baker, trained by the man who owned the Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter, New Orleans, La.

When I grew up I thought everyones parents cooked as our family did. Got a rude awakening when I was drafted into the U. S. Army, in the Viet Nam era, I tell ya.

Having grown up being taught a lot about life by my Grandfather, I know I am a throw back to his generation. I try to pass on his way of life by being a mentor to as many Grouse and Woodcock hunters as I can, via my Grouse dog training program and the RGS/AWS.

It's a way of life not just a sport!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Penny our incredible Gordon Grouse Dog.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pheasants and whitetail deer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Shout out to Dave- my Dad's side of the family is from Coudersport, it's beautiful around there!

I live in South Central Wisconsin in the city but I can drive to large areas of public hunting land in about 25 minutes. It's not "step out the back door" like my dad did as a kid or I did before the city grew up around us, but I think it's just about perfect. The area is stocked with pheasants- not as pleasing as if they were wild but natural populations don't sustain around here. Birds are sometimes sunbathing on a trail waiting to be shot, more often just off the trail waiting to make a fool of you for not paying attention but most likely are deep in the rough near impassable underbrush and briars of marsh areas or stream beds. I have a young high energy flushing/retrieving Labrador, hunting Pheasants with him is my favorite. Watching his skills and seeing how happy he is to see me delighted with him is all part of the special partnership. Pheasants are easy to dress and delicious to eat. While my wife doesn't want to see dead birds, she has no objections to prepared meat in the fridge and eating them!

We recently vacationed about an 8 hour drive up north. I had known there were grouse up there but it had not really connected until the dog started flushing grouse on several hikes we took. He knew exactly what they were, big ground birds, and that means "find em and make them fly!" I had not even thought of it, but I would travel to hunt wild grouse- maybe come better prepared next year! I like walking solo or with a pal with the dog and seeing what we can see in nature and maybe put up some birds, maybe bring some home for a nice meal.

Number three is turkey, although at my skill as a Turkey hunter there seem to be two kinds of turkey hunting- shooting suicidal birds that walk up to you and demand to be shot or birds so wiley they spook at the stump they just walked past. I like that you get easy delicious meat for your cleaning efforts. Dog would have to stay home so that's a minus.

Rabbits and squirrels are just not for me- it's a lot of work to clean and prepare them. When rabbits got overpopulated at a friend's tree farm, I helped shoot a lot of them. I thing the dog would be bored.

I used to really enjoy deer- but my deer hunting pals have fallen by the wayside and now we are a hotspot for CRW and that takes a lot of the fun out of it for me. Just as you need a dog to hunt birds, you need a vehicle to hunt deer- I got yelled at by the wife for getting deer blood all over the Subaru. That's another detraction. If the neighbors were inviting me, I'd go. On the plus side, after all the cleaning, testing, butchering, wrapping, freezing... (oh, you need a big freezer to hunt deer, too...) you have a winter's supply of some of the best tasting organic wild meat from steaks to roasts to chili cubes... so ... it's still on my mind!

I'm blessed that we can enjoy all the benefits of city life while living in a state with vast areas of public hunting and fishing lands where all one needs to do is get a license and start walking!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:02 pm 
Crown Grade

For game, quail, pheasant and rabbits, in no particular order. For varmints, called coyotes and prairie dogs.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Not sure if it's geese or little muntjac deer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:42 pm 
Field Grade

I'm a deer hunter for the most part. I actually prefer archery but do hunt with a slug gun as well as a muzzle loader. Turkey are my second quarry but that came mostly because they started arriving around us within the last few years and the season is at a time when nothing else is going on.

Time constraints limit most of my hunting for anything else but this year I find myself in the strange position of having tagged out on deer so I think I will go back to basics and do some squirrel hunting. Haven't done it much since I was young so it will be something to look forward to.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I used to hunt deer, and I’ve killed my share, but after eating deer jerky, deer sausage, blackstrap and everything else prepared in every way imaginable, I’ve come to the conclusion that I just don’t like it. I’m not going to shoot one just for sport either. So I quit. By the way, the same goes for wild goose, especially snow geese; not fit to eat IMHO. You may feel differently and I respect that.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

cas,

Man I agree with you when it comes to the snow Geese, not fit to eat IMHO also. Grouse, Pheasant, Quail now those are fine eating! My buddy Cpt Denny Boyce and his wife eat all the woodcock I can shoot each season, they love em, me not so much.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

The good stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:04 pm 
Field Grade

I grew up hunting small game on our farm and neighbors place back in the 70's and we had rabbits, squirrels and quail. Pheasants had not made it to our area yet and the deer and turkey populations were few and far between. In later years I have hunted all over NW Missouri and all of Kansas enjoying quail and pheasants more than just about anything else due to the dog work. I would have to say quail may be more fun because we get to shoot more of them and enjoy our dogs working the fields. Of course this was when we had a lot of quail to hunt.
My other hunting trips can't compare because hunting bears can not compare to the enjoyment of my brittany retrieving quail and when she had trouble picking up her first rooster pheasant because it would not fit in her mouth!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Byron Whitlock,

I am with you 100%, however I'm my case it's Grouse not Quail. However I love Mearns Quail hunting in AZ. Nothing compares with a beautiful gun dog doing its job, for his master.

I had a Small Munsterlander male who was just incredible, here in Pa we are now allowed to hunt fall Turkey with our dogs. Sampson and I were Grouse hunting and he went on point in our pine tree stand, here on our own land. I thought he was pointing a Grouse, when I told him to get the bird up, a big female Turkey flushed just like a Grouse, from under the pines. I had #6's under the 2nd trigger and killed the big bird outright at just over 22 yards. Sampson retrieved the bird and laid it at my feet, there is nothing in this world that could compare to shooting that big bird on the wing, and having my old Small Munsterlander dog retrieve the bird back to me. I will remember his prancing with that big bird until he and I are reunited in Gods Great forest.

Yes sir I agree there is nothing to compare with beautiful gun dog work, absolutely nothing.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man - L.C. Smith fan also!

Pine Creek Sampson my incredible Small Munsterlander with his true Double Grouse taken with a Pre 13, 16 Gauge L.C. Smith Hammer Gun.