Shotgun Forum banner

New Hunter-First Shot Gun Recommendations

5K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Pine Creek/Dave 
#1 ·
Hi, I recently got interested in hunting and I am looking for recommendations for my first shot gun. I have been looking for mostly pump action shot guns- Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Browning BPS and Ithaca M37. My reasoning for leaning towards pumps is affordability and simplicity, but I am open to semi-autos. I have never hunted before and don't want to spend $1500 and not like hunting. I am looking to hunt small game, turkeys and deer, so I have been looking at 12ga. with a 28" barrel in the $600-$700 range. I have read some bad reviews on new 870s and would like to know if I should stay away from them? Any suggestions on how to test the fit, valuate used guns or something else I should look for- the more information the better.

#3 ·
For ducks I love the BPS in 3" chamber. Also really like the function, if not looks, of the Benelli Nova. For birds I prefer the 870 wing master. Feel like it's just a faster handling gun and I like the side port for more frequent load checks.

For fur hunting I'm not sure what's best suited. Turkeys and deer would probably benefit from a heavy gun like the bps. Rabbits and squirrels I think would be fun with a 20ga 870.

#4 ·
Have shot Remington guns since the 80s , to include newer ones ( '15 870 Express, '17 V3). No issues with any of them. Wingmasters may be out of your price range now.

#6 ·
Don't buy anything Tristar and expect it to last.

For you and your description I would recommend a bps or a moss berg pump. Nova rattle like a tin can full of marbles.

I got suckered into the tristar thing with a cheap over under in the past and they just are flat out junk. A cheap 870 will run thousands of rounds, so will a bps or mossberg. A tristar will break or wear in the first thousand rounds to the point of needing a gunsmith or factory service. There is a reason they are half of a comparable brand for the same product. There are the odd exceptions out there but overall their product is substandard.

#7 ·
In my opinion all the guns you list are good pump guns. Finding one on the shelf right now may be difficult. I would recommend a 3" 12 ga pump with choke tubes and maybe with a slug barrel if you can find one. A fixed choke 2 3/4" chambered gun would not be a deal breaker to me if it was a good deal, but it can affect the versatility of the gun. I used to see Mossberg combo shotguns with 2 barrels and a scope on special for $299 from big box sporting goods stores in the not too distant past. Those days seem to be gone for now.

If you decide to go semi auto, the Beretta A300 is a made in the USA semi auto 3" 12 ga. It was retailing for about $600. In my opinion it is one of the best deals on the market for a semi auto. Good luck with your search.

#8 ·
southdakbearfan said:
Don't buy anything Tristar and expect it to last.

For you and your description I would recommend a bps or a moss berg pump. Nova rattle like a tin can full of marbles.

I got suckered into the tristar thing with a cheap over under in the past and they just are flat out junk. A cheap 870 will run thousands of rounds, so will a bps or mossberg. A tristar will break or wear in the first thousand rounds to the point of needing a gunsmith or factory service. There is a reason they are half of a comparable brand for the same product. There are the odd exceptions out there but overall their product is substandard.
I think you are painting the entire line from Tristar with a broad brush from your one bad experience with their O/U.

I don't believe that your experience with an O/U from Tristar is of necessity transferable to their Viper G2 gas autos. Mine has gone over 2,000 rounds with only a recoil spring breaking at about the 1,000 round mark. I had the replacement spring in my hands, 4 days from making the call. I don't consider their semi auto Viper G2 to be substandard but then that is just my opinion.

A friend has a 28 gauge Viper G2 and has had zero issues with it. Go figure.

I don't know anything about their O/U models but agree that really low cost doubles from any maker are for the most part not a wise purchase.

#9 ·
OP do not fall into the trap da "bear guy" did. A cheap OU that costs less than a comparable auto from any company that is reliable is a "unicorn." It's like looking for the fountain of youth. Many try and all universally fail. Those cheap OU, if shot with any regularity, have problems. The tristar G2 is well proven; however, if you want more comfort Armsan makes this same gun branded Mossberg so you can check that out as well.

#10 ·
Ranger95,

If you want a good reliable pump gun pick up a Winchester Model 12, I have one in 16 gauge and have never had one problem with it. Opened the choke up to IC for Grouse hunting, the gun is light and works incredibly well. I purchased mine used for $650.00 a few years back. It is used as one of my home security weapons also.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

#13 ·
Thank you for all of your responses! Sorry for the delay, I never saw the e-mail notification for my first reply (it was in the spam folder). I should have just looked here sooner. Thank you for the semi auto recommendations, I have added them to my list of potential candidates. I guess I picked the worst time to get into hunting and purchasing a shot gun because the pickings have been slim in my area. I was hoping to get lucky and find some 2020 panic buys on the used racks, but no luck yet.

Thanks again for all of the information!

#15 ·
Ranger95,

Acquire a good knowledgable hunting mentor, if you're interested in Grouse hunting RGS has an entire program of mentors. They help with every aspect of Grouse hunting including choosing a shotgun, ethics, shooting safety, dog training, conservation and respect for Gods wilderness ect. Having a good mentor is one of the best moves a beginning hunter can make, it makes the learning more interesting. Picking a shotgun is just one part of learning how to upland hunt. I recommend you purchase a copy of George Bird Evens (GBE), Upland Shooting life and read it, much of the ethics of upland hunting is written into that particular book, you can learn quite a bit about our Pa Upland Shooting life, in a manner that is very interesting especially to the beginning hunter.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

#16 ·
Hi Ranger85,

Shotguns are excellent general purpose guns. Everyone should own at least one shotgun. They're excellent for recreational shooting fun. If you're in a rural region, they're excellent for dispatching pests. They're beyond superb as wilderness survival guns.

Wingmaster is a legendary shotgun. Don't let anyone tell you that recoil isn't an issue with high brass (We used to call 'em high base) shells. I've fired 12 gauge one-ounce slugs and 00 buck out of 870's. After a few, you'll notice recoil. Upland bird loads aren't an issue.

Based upon my experiences, always buy the highest quality firearms within your budget. Save longer and cut discretionary expenses to afford highest quality. Wingmaster is an excellent quality shotgun. I've never seen one fail.

An excellent quality semiautomatic might be worthy of your consideration.

#17 · (Edited)
Ranger95,

You can always use Guns International on the Web to purchase just about any gun you happen to want. They usually have good pictures of the guns for sale. Simply pick out a gun you happen to like, purchase it and have it sent to your FFL dealer. Lots of real nice guns available for purchase in this manner. If you need further help, ask more questions. There are a lot of knowledgable gun owners on this forum that will give you good advise on purchasing a good gun. I always recommend to my clients that they have a mentor, we do a lot of work with the RGS & NRA in this way, I am sure you can find a mentor in the community where you live. The RGS has an entire program where we mentor new hunters on all the different facets of Grouse hunting, including the purchase of a good gun.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

#18 ·
Hi, I recently got interested in hunting and I am looking for recommendations for my first shot gun. I have been looking for mostly pump action shot guns- Re
Hi, I recently got interested in hunting and I am looking for recommendations for my first shot gun. I have been looking for mostly pump action shot guns- Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Browning BPS and Ithaca M37. My reasoning for leaning towards pumps is affordability and simplicity, but I am open to semi-autos. I have never hunted before and don't want to spend $1500 and not like hunting. I am looking to hunt small game, turkeys and deer, so I have been looking at 12ga. with a 28" barrel in the $600-$700 range. I have read some bad reviews on new 870s and would like to know if I should stay away from them? Any suggestions on how to test the fit, valuate used guns or something else I should look for- the more information the better.
mington 870, Mossberg 500, Browning BPS and Ithaca M37. My reasoning for leaning towards pumps is affordability and simplicity, but I am open to semi-autos. I have never hunted before and don't want to spend $1500 and not like hunting. I am looking to hunt small game, turkeys and deer, so I have been looking at 12ga. with a 28" barrel in the $600-$700 range. I have read some bad reviews on new 870s and would like to know if I should stay away from them? Any suggestions on how to test the fit, valuate used guns or something else I should look for- the more information the better.
You can buy very good condition used Moss. 500 pumps on Gunbroker for less than $200. I have around 20 times. Or well used ones for less. Fun refinishing projects.

#23 ·
Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 would be good choices. They are the " jack of all trades" shotguns. Both designs are time tested. Set up with a vet rib barrel either would be suited on the range or in the field. Set up with a slug barrel either is suitable for most big game. Are they the perfect for all shotgun disciplines, No. But either would work in any situation and are good all around shotguns to start with. Many accesories available for either.

#24 · (Edited)
Ranger95,
There is a nice old 16 gauge LeFever/Ithaca Nitro Special for sale on GI for under $500. The gun is in 80% condition and looks to be in good shape, taken care of the gun will last many life times. It's a good gun to learn with and should never let you down.
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood Gun barrel

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

If you are looking for a modern entry level gun I recommend the 28 gauge CZ Bob White G2 double gun. Mine has worked out well, no problems with the gun at all, $800.00 delivered to my FFL. The modern gun comes with its own carrying case, with slip covers for each gun piece. Double Triggers and 5 modern screw in chokes, with choke key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.