ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: What shotgun do you hunt with?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:18 am 
Field Grade

Back on point, as to what shotgun do I use to hunt, I have to say that I only hunt quail and do that only occasionally. As a general rule it seems that nostalgia plays a big role in our personal preferences. Not always but usually. My Grandfather started me out shooting quail with a 16 gauge Model 12 Winchester. I am still a pump man to this day. Being a pump man AND an occasional quail shooter could be viewed as mutually exclusive things but I ignore convention and plod on. My favorite blunderbuss for such endeavors is a Remington 870 Special Field in 20 gauge. It's one of the later models with RemChokes and is approximately 35 years old. Shotgun makers went through a phase of making upland styled pump guns that started in the early to mid 80s. The youngsters around here won't be familiar with these models. Browning apparently continued making their BPS Upland, although in a much cruder form than the early guns, until relatively recently. Remington, Winchester and Browning all made short barreled, straight stocked pump guns aimed at upland bird shooters who in turn aimed them at upland birds. I owned all of them. They were all, to my mind, handsome guns, but apparently not everybody shared that sentiment. They certainly seemed like a good idea at the time and I suspect, like fashion trends, we may see them again one day. The same Grandfather that taught me to hunt quail with the Model 12 also left me a 12 gauge Browning Lightning Superposed which is nice but hunting quail with it is like driving a finishing nail with a drilling hammer. I also have my departed Uncle's 20 gauge Browning A5 from the early 60s equipped with the stylish for then Cutt's Compensator and Lyman chokes. The A5 is a trim, svelte pleasing gun to use that causes quail to fall from the sky but try as I might I just can't pump it. So while it may seem gauche and blue collar I suppose I'll be a pump man until such time as I'm not.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

boray,

I have an old M12 16 gauge here at the log cabin training facility myself, it is worn so smooth that it almost rotates itself after firing. Had the choke opened to IC for Grouse and Woodcock hunting long ago. The girls love the light gun very much.

All my Semi-Auto's are now gone, gave the Model 58 Rem to my Best friend as a Christmas present a few years ago, the 1100 has been gone for many years, did shoot a mess of Lancaster County Pheasant with it in College.

My good guns are all Breech loading, L.C. Smith, J.P Sauer, Ithaca/LeFever, early H&R etc. Can't remember the last time I carried anything else to hunt with. Each to his own!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:05 pm 
Crown Grade

I usually hunt woodcock with a LeFever Nitro Special in 20 gauge. It has pretty open chokes which work great in our cover.I also have a Nitro in .410 that I hope to use next season for woodcock.

For pheasants, I have an old Charles Daly/Miroku 20 gauge O/U that I shoot pretty well. I recently bought a Dickinson in 28 gauge that I'll try out for preserve pheasants next time out.
Since the Dickinson has screw in chokes, it will likely see some time chasing dogs chasing woodcock.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

painter,

I have known and talked to different men down thru the years who really like the Ithaca/LeFever 20 gauge
Nitro guns and once they hunt with them, they are stuck on those 20 gauge guns. Got to admit they are smooth little Grouse guns, that swing well and put the birds down nicely.

Post some pictures of your hunts with the new Dickinson 28 some time, would love to see it.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:24 pm 
Utility Grade

I hunt only with 16ga shotguns. I rotate between a Citori, a Miroku A-5, and a Belgium made A-5. Sometimes I sprinkle an early 870 in there as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:56 am 
Utility Grade

Hi everyone. First post and Happy New Year to you and your loved ones.

I use 3 shotguns to hunt with but my number 1 is my Beretta Ultralight Deluxe.

Miroku MK10 Sporter that I mainly use for Skeet/Sporting Clays. A bit heavy to carry all day but does ok.

BRNO ZP49 which I take out every now and then for a bit of fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

Minoan,

The ZP49 looks real cool, have fun with her!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8