ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: What shotgun do you hunt with?
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

This statement tells me all all I need to know if it wasn’t obvious from his other posts. “Grow up and learn to use a good s x s double gun ...”

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Wow

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

PO,

Each of us has our own way of looking at life, you do not have to agree with me, however never judge a person unless you get to know him in person, that tells you what you really need to know about a man. Little boys judge a man by what they read on the Net.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

Race ipsa loquitur ....

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

PC/D, I do believe that much of what you've posted about autoloaders and O/Us was meant to be taken tongue in cheek. Not everyone gets it, though, because you keep beating the SxS dead horse.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Over such stuff for 15 years or so and on a number of message boards.....terming "it" tongue-in-cheek, mountain humor, teasing, whatever, is not about "getting it" :D , it is about understanding a quacking duck.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, then, you must know him better than I.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

We as to what I hunt with I have.

1) Baikal IJ18 single shot, barrel cut and I use it as a muzzle loader with a 209 adapter with shot for rabbits and foxes and I've started on patched .69 RB for pigs and hopefully a Deer.
2) VG Bentley SxS model unknown but it was my grandfather's gun and I use it for my 1st duck or goose for the year to bring back memories of my grandpa and learning to shoot with that very gun.
3) Franchi Highlander for ducks and geese in the more open country like farm shoots, I like it too much to bash it about in the swamps.
4) Baikal 43E 26" barrels bored to imp/cyl in both barrels, for ducks and geese in the mud and swamps or throwing around in the boat.
5) Baikal 43E coach gun, also bored imp/cyl in both barrels for buckshot and .690 RB on pigs in thick cover or shooting out of a vehicle, it was my preferred pig hunting trip shotgun.
6) Adler lever action 2x 20" barrels, my shotgun for throwing slugs at deer, also used in fox drives and fox whistling.
7) Dickinson T1000 20" barrel, it's is a 212 with the bolt modified so it won't except an inertia spring and a larger, longer cocking handle making it a spring assisted strait pull to comply with our BS laws.
It will replace the Adler and probably see use on the Geese too if I can work out a repeatable ad method of attaching the scope and if I get a 28" barrel for it.

I could do without most of them but I can't be bothered selling any cheap ones and they serve a purpose and also make good guns to loan to visiting mates.
I tend to treat my shotguns rough so I don't like buying nice ones, the Franchi Highlander I actually handle with cotton gloves as it's so nice I don't want to mark it.
I'd rather a gun shoot a good, I can throw around and push through cover with as I will just use it and not worry about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:15 am 
Presentation Grade

lossking,

MF does not know me personally, has never hunted with me, his opinions are unfounded. Never judge a man by another mans opinion, always make that judgement for yourself when you meet the man personally. As a life member of the NRA I want everyone to own and hunt with the gun he or she likes best. We tease about gun ownership all the time.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:34 pm 
Field Grade

Beretta 303 Magnum for Waterfowl

Browning Auto 5 Light Twelve for deer drives

Ithaca 37 for upland game

Remington 870 Express, Browning BPS, 870 Supermag all used as spares/loaners

All are 12 gauge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have settled on the Ithaca 37 in 16 gauge for 90% of my hunting including waterfowl. The exception is a straight goose hunt when the 12 gauge gets used,Ithaca 37 of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:28 pm 
Limited Edition

For grouse, woodcock and quail I prefer my 20 gauge Beretta O/U. For Pheasant my 12 gauge Beretta O/U and for Waterfowl and Turkey, my Beretta A400 Autoloader.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:05 am 
Tournament Grade

For a number of years now, I am strictly an upland birds hunter. I use only 20 gauge double guns for pheasants, chukars, woodcock and grouse. My guns include 3 Beretta O/Us, a Browning Citori, a Ugartechea SxS and a CZ Bobwhite SxS.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Doublesforever,

Uggie Grade V, 20 gauge side lock, one seriously nice modern double gun, enjoy!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:56 pm 
Limited Edition

ohio mike wrote:
I have settled on the Ithaca 37 in 16 gauge for 90% of my hunting including waterfowl. The exception is a straight goose hunt when the 12 gauge gets used,Ithaca 37 of course.

Hard to beat a good old American classic Ithaca 37 for practical hunting purposes. Great carry guns. I hunt quail with a 6 lb 26 inch IC 20 gauge circa 1970, and chukar with a 6.25 lb 28 inch Mod 16 gauge circa 1954. Can beat them up in cover and rocks and not worry. I have more stylish guns but these are the go to for busting cover and climbing mountains.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:24 am 
Utility Grade

I recently switched to a Stoeger M3500 12g from a Remington SPR453 (russian gun)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

I recently picked up an old antique 1880's 16 gauge Crescent Hammer Gun that I plan to Grouse and Woodcock hunt with this next season. Just patterned the gun and from 25 to 45 yards with my RST & Poly SpredR loads the Hammer Gun shoots fantastic Grouse killing patterns, with no gaps. Looking forward to my trip to the UP and also home here in Potter County, Pa. This next coming season should be real interesting.

Sense our over all Grouse population has shrunk so greatly, due to poor forest management, it would be nice to see all the Game Commissions thru out the USA, make it mandatory to hunt Grouse & Woodcock with only SXS Hammer Guns, 16 gauge or lighter.

Now that should stir up the younger generations of bird hunters a bit.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

My Antique 1880's Crescent 16 gauge Hammer Gun. Hurry up Grouse and Woodcock Season!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
Sense our over all Grouse population has shrunk so greatly, due to poor forest management, it would be nice to see all the Game Commissions thru out the USA, make it mandatory to hunt Grouse & Woodcock with only SXS Hammer Guns, 16 gauge or lighter.

Don't forget the knickers, tweed jackets and Meerschaum pipes.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Primary:

Browning Citori Satin Hunter 3 1/2" 12 gauge - my favorite and the gun I gravitate towards most of the time, especially on waterfowl.

Sentimental:

3" Model 12, Simmons Rib - Was my dads first "keeper" shotgun - it goes out once a year on a lead shot only pheasant hunt.

Remington Model 17 - 20 gauge - was my mothers dad's gun, my first 20. Slick little repeater

Savage 220 - 410 - first shotgun.

Others:

870 Express - first gun I won on a drawing and shot for many year. Mainly a backup now.
SX2 - My daughter kind of latched onto this one for her goose gun, I like it for an ugly plastic gun but as a reloader I hate it as it throws empties about 15-20 feet.
SXP - a buddy won it and they only offered him 125 bucks trade on it, I gave him 175 so it's a backup 3 1/2" waterfowl gun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

Z Big,

We could work those in if need be!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next