ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: What shotgun do you hunt with?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:23 am 
Crown Grade

Different strokes for different folks! I learned many years ago the quickest way to lose a friend or make an enemy was to bad mouth or criticize a man's favorite gun (or dog). You would be better off insulting his wife! The best gun for me is not necessarily the best gun for you! Things like stock fit, familiarity, personal physical characteristics and on & on make a difference. I have shot SXS DT double guns exclusively for over 50 years. They are not better but I'm too old to change horses in mid stream. Being left handed had much to do with it as there were not a lot of left handed autos around when I was learning to shoot. I did attempt to shoot a couple autos but they just didn't work for me. I shoot 3 gauges not counting my muzzle loader which is 11 ga.. They are 20 ga., 12 ga. 2.75 & 3",& 10 ga. 3.5" & 2 7/8". They all have a niche in my shotgun hunting scheme. Berettas, a Uggie, a Merkel 147sle, & yes, I love my Elsie's. I once went out of State pheasant hunting with a cousin. He had a new Benelli. I am not a name dropper so I won't do that but one member of our party has name recognition in shotgun circles. My cousin had a long face so I asked him, "what is wrong?" The reply was, "he called my gun a mechanical contraption"! A Benelli is contently not a mechanical contraption & that wasn't exactly the best way to promote harmony in our little hunting group!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:13 am 
Field Grade

Small Game: Ward Hercules Model 10 - .410 Bore
Skeet & Trap/Dove/Small Ducks/Turkey: Western Auto 36C (Mossberg 500C) - 20 Gauge
Skeet & Trap/Dove/Upland Bird/Turkey: Remington 58 - 16 Gauge
Deer: H&R Topper 48 - 12 Gauge
Skeet & Trap/Upland Bird/Duck & Goose/Turkey: Savage Upland 726 - 12 Gauge
Duck/Goose/Turkey: Mossberg 935 - 12 Gauge (Magnum)
Deer/Goose/Turkey: H&R 176: 10 Gauge

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

geometric,

Every hunter should own and shoot the gun he likes best, growing up as we did there was a lot of teasing done by the men and boys about the guns people used, to Grouse hunt with. I can remember this one guy who teased GBE about his beautiful Purdey double gun, told George it was a copy of a Fox. GBE even wrote about it in one of his book.

Most all of this is done in good fun, it seems the younger generations take it to heart however, different men from different era's look at life in completely different ways. I will not quit teasing the men I hunt with about which guns they choose to use, if I can tease Ken Graft about his incredible 16 gauge 1908 Purdey, (nasty foreign gun) I can sure tease the younger guys about their Semi-Auto's. Heck I even bust on my brother for using a stack barrel Browning, a beautiful gun highly engraved and he is deadly in the Grouse woods and on the Clays course with it. Grow up purchase a Best SXS classic American double gun to Grouse hunt with! Ya got to love it!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

My hunting Partner Ken Graft's incredible 16 gauge Purdey double gun, they don't come any better.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sounds like your hunts are more about the guns than the hunt.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

cas,

Any time you believe Grouse hunting is mostly about the gun, you missed the point by a long long ways.
It's only a part of what makes Grouse and Woodcock hunting so great, the dogs and the beautiful mountains, along with the incredible Grouse birds are all part of what God has granted us. We never take it for granted, ever.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I never said that I “believed” that. Go back and read my post. I said that reading the discussion that it gave me the impression. Anyone could easily come away with the same opinion.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:16 am 
Crown Grade

All of them.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

cas,

I hunt Grouse and Woodcock most of the time, and your statement was directed to me. Therefore you must believe Grouse hunting in my case is directed more to the gun, than the actual Grouse hunt. My statement stands correct. Grouse hunting has a lot more to offer than just what gun is used, especially in my case.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks and I understand your explanation, however I stand by statement that it was easy to be mislead by the course of the thread.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

Woooo.
Some areas require a shotgun for deer hunting. I use an Ithaca Model 87 12 gauge.
For waterfowl I shoot an SX3 Win 12.
For pheasant, partridge and sky rats I use a 16 gauge LeFevre
For rabbit and crows I use a 16 gauge Ithaca Model 37.
For turkey, the SX3.
And if I could only have one gun to do it all, my 870. I have both a rifled and bird barrel for it.

Feather tossers who cross over into equipment braggadocio are a breed apart. Most of the ones I have known rely on someone else to maintain the rods and have someone else tying for them. I'll hand them a 24 or 26 I've tied and see if they can figure out how to get a leader through the eye. Often not.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:17 am 
Presentation Grade

emgerrish,

What you say is some times true, however there are many of us Bamboo purists who both tie and fish with all kinds of different Flies, and can restore and repair their fine Bamboo Fly rods. Here on the upper Pine Creek in Potter County Pa we seldom use small flies unless it's very late in the year. Big Parachute Drakes catch big fish here on the open water. Each man should learn how to tie his own flies and fish with what ever Fly Rod makes him happy. In my case I love my old Bamboo F.E. Thomas fly rods, my favorite is my 7' slow action that I use on West Bench most all the time.

tight lines buddy
Pine Creek/Dave
F.E. Thomas Man

Rod pictured on the West Branch picture is a J.D. Wagner 3 WGT. A fine modern builder of Bamboo Fly Rods.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:33 am 
Presentation Grade

greatness1978,

I am fond of my 20 gauge guns also, had a Browning 28/20 Combo gun that I really liked, I also have a Silver Reserve II 28/20 combo gun that does a good job also.

However I like my pre13 L.C. Smith 20 gauge double guns even more. In fact I just picked up another one in the past couple weeks. One sweet light 20 gauge with 28" barrels and DT! Very serious little Grouse & Woodcock gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:13 pm 
Hunting Expert
Hunting Expert

That Smith has a definite Cool factor. Rates a definite Two-Cool 8) 8)

I mostly shoot one of my 16 gauge drillings for upland hunting and occasionally my 12 gauge/30-30 Sauer/Charles Daly sidelock drilling.

Daly:

Drillings...2nd is one that seems made just for me, a Kreighoff Trumpf Dural in 16 and 7X65R.

I also have taken a lot of our NV wild chuckar with this little Sauer post-war in 16 and 6.5X57R

"He's a good Democrat, Mr. Ambassador, willing to share all you have."

Last edited by luv2safari on Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:27 pm 
Hunting Expert
Hunting Expert

Here's a line up of my combo and bird guns.

This pre-war Sauer better grade two-barrel cape gun set is one of my all time favorites. It's 12/8X57JR and 12X12, each with dedicated forend.

A MT grouse hunt of years ago with it and my famous Llewellin, Ms Scarlet.

Scarly-Barly was a wonder on chuckar, too. I'm holding the 12ga SXS Sauer that took these chuckar and grouse.

"He's a good Democrat, Mr. Ambassador, willing to share all you have."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:24 am 
Presentation Grade

L2S,

Great dogs and guns, real nice hunting. I would like to have J.P Sauer side lock 16 gauge gun some day myself. Love the pictures!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7