ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: What shotgun do you hunt with?
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
fireball,

You sinner you, using a O/U Browning gun in the Grouse woods. My Brother does the same thing, you guys will stand in front of God for gunning his favorite Grouse birds with an O/U gun. The old 28 Gauge Superposed my brother uses needs to be kept on the clays course, your Browning also.

I do like the Rizzini 20's real nice nice for playing clays games also. Pick up a good old pre 13 L.C. Smith 20 gauge for gunning Grouse!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

I hate to break it to you, but Superposed and Citori’s have killed more grouse and woodcock, and every other upland species in this county than all the other guns combined.

Your brother is clearly a smart man, shooting Browning. He, like me, has probably realized that all over the world shooting coaches and instructors have realized that one shoots a single barrel plane, whether a single barrel gun or an O/U, better than the wide plane of a SxS. You brother, like me, has probably realized that we have a responsibility to end each birds life as quickly and cleanly as possible. Out of respect and responsibility we strive to use the best equipment there is to do this, rather that to lug around antiquated equipment seeking to get some kind of a nod from a long gone figure who no doubt would have forgotten our names minutes after parting ways. Nope. Not us. We don’t chase dreams, we chase grouse.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:03 am 
Crown Grade

God does shoot an LC Smith...his forte is trying fixing cracked and flawed stuff.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Multiflora wrote:
God does shoot an LC Smith...his forte is trying fixing cracked and flawed stuff.

Oh! But it's not a pre 1913 special order handed down to him by his grand father. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Waterfowl: One of my all-time favorite long guns; the Beretta 390 Silver Mallard (wood stock) 12ga.
Turkeys: Winchester 120 with aftermarket barrel and stock
Grouse: DeHaan SO 20ga. SxS, Beretta 391 Urika 20ga., Beretta Silver 686 Special 12ga.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

hunterdcb wrote:
Multiflora wrote:

Oh! But it's not a pre 1913 special order handed down to him by his grand father. :mrgreen:

So that's his preference and he likes it, rightly so. What's the problem?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I understand the love affair with the LC Smith. I own several and they are among the most graceful of American shotguns, but they have their faults. My first preference is the Fox or the 21, but neither for bird hunting. For that purpose I go for modern light weight semi automatics

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Savage single shot 20, Winchester 1200 12ga, Ithaca 37 20ga, and 12ga, SKB 505 12ga, SKB 585 12ga, Remington 870 12ga. Savage 16 Automatic. All gone now. Currently using a Rizzini BR110 12ga a Benelli Montefeltro 12ga and a Dickson Ugartechea 12ga. Several others are in my possession that won’t get hunted because those last three get the job done. Especially the Benelli.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

Looks like I stepped on the toes of a few young men, Browning stack barrel guns are great for clays shooting, not Grouse hunting. Grow up and use a double gun in the Grouse woods!

Only kidding gentlemen, use the gun you most like, and have fun doing it.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Gentlemen,

Looks like I stepped on the toes of a few young men, Browning stack barrel guns are great for clays shooting, not Grouse hunting. Grow up and use a double gun in the Grouse woods!

Only kidding gentlemen, use the gun you most like, and have fun doing it.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

For the record, I am probably as old as you, and I also use a sxs. I just don't feel the need to run on and on incessantly about it.
And by the way; Name dropping is a habit of an insufferable bore. And believe me "bore was not the word I wanted to use, as there are two words used together that would be much more applicable, but the use of them would likely get me banned.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Too many. But so far this year already I have used my new to me Fabarm Waterfowler to kill snow geese and my Benelli Córdoba in Camo to take a turkey mainly cause I did not have time or energy to pattern the Fabarm to see if factory supplied chokes were adequate. I know what my turkey choke and shells do in the Córdoba. Fall pheasants will bring out my Tristar G2 20 gage and if needed my M1 super 90 12 gage for steel shot required upland pheasants on WPAs. In general, I lean semi auto for game and o/u for targets but will shoot my 28 gage Br 110 on game farm pheasants and my Fabarm special sporting clays auto at targets. I have plenty of shot guns to choose from, which is not a problem by the way as I generally have them set up to same LOP and drop! :D another reason why I prefer autos since O/U generally don’t fit me as I’m tall.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

PO,

Another major sinner, Semi-Auto and O/U both! Always hunt with a good Double gun.

Hunterdcd,

It really is too bad you are so unsure of yourself as to think I am name dropping when I simply talk about the people and friends I have hunted with thru the years. People like you actually believe its's a name dropping thing. Not to worry there are lots of people like you out there for you to team up with.
I will continue to talk about the different people I have hunted with down thru the years as often as I like. Try adding something to the conversation instead of making disparaging remarks. Envy is a terrible thing.

That's for the record also.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Lets see until 2014 all I had was a Browning B-2000 12 gauge. In 2014 I purchased a CZ Mallard in 12 gauge and a few weeks back I purchased a Model 12 in 16 gauge for $345.00 I was looking for a used sxs but this fell in my lap... Eventually I may own a sxs in 20 or 16 gauge but....

Cz Mallard
Browning B2000
Winchester Model 12 16 ga.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

[quote="Pine Creek/Dave"]PO,

Another major sinner, Semi-Auto and O/U both! Always hunt with a good Double gun.

Hunterdcd,

It really is too bad you are so unsure of yourself as to think I am name dropping when I simply talk about the people and friends I have hunted with thru the years. People like you actually believe its's a name dropping thing. Not to worry there are lots of people like you out there for you to team up with.
I will continue to talk about the different people I have hunted with down thru the years as often as I like. Try adding something to the conversation instead of making disparaging remarks. Envy is a terrible thing.

That's for the record

When you're that full of yourself, I can see why you would think it's envy.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
PO,

Hunterdcd,

That's for the record also.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PD you should expand your horizons beyond s x s. A true lover of shotguns, like women, will embrace all manor and types. In shotgun autos I have long barrel recoil, short barrel recoil, inertia and gas. I’d have a Cosmi if they were not so much. I have pump, s x s, O/U and a bolt action. I recently picked up a true sidelock because I wanted a removable lock shotgun. I appreciate the mechanical approaches. I’ll probably add a 410 lever from Henry with iron sights made in Wisconsin now that 410 tss is out for turkeys. Why limit yourself to only redheads when you can fondle blonds and brunettes too? Shotguns don’t get jealous when you put them aside in favor of a different one!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:07 pm 
Crown Grade

I have several guns I hunt with.

Beretta A400 - 3 1/2" for waterfowl - especially geese. this gun gets used more than all the others. It can get wet, cold, frozen, dropped, muddy, dunked and it still runs fine and I don't have to worry about it.

Beretta 686 3" upland bird gun and some waterfowl. I like this gun for ducks and pheasant (when I have to use non-tox) I will sometimes keep this and the a400 handy in the blind. The A400 loaded with goose loads and the 686 loaded with 3" duck loads.

Beretta 686 28 ga. Upland bird, especially early season and game farm birds (dog training days). I'd use it more, but where we hunt pheasant there is a reasonable chance the geese will be out and about. No. 5 bismuth is useless for pass-shooting geese.

Fox AE SxS 12 ga. Upland when I don't have to use non-toxic shot. I love this gun as it was my grandfathers. Unfortunately The only pheasant hunting within a couple hours drive from here requires non-toxic shot and I'm too cheap to pay $3 / shell for pheasants. I know it makes no sense considering what a day in the field costs, but thats the way it is I guess.

One of Many

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Out here in wild pheasant country, nobody, and I mean NOBODY hunts wits s SxS. The vast majority hunt with modern, light weight semi automatic in 12 or 20 ga. Once in a while you may see an ancient 870, but not often. When you walk 10 miles per day every extra ounce counts.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

cabinet,

Well I have hunted most all the western states including AZ for Mearns Quail and I have used my SXS double guns in every state, the men traveling with me, used SXS double guns also. Growing up has little to due with age, it has to due with maturity and knowledge of good double guns & Bamboo Fly Rods. Grow up and learn to use a good SXS double gun, Fly Fish with a great Bamboo Fly Rod.
My good double guns are lighter than most all Semi Auto and O/U guns, it's why were use them to Grouse hunt in the mountains, all over the world. Traditions & Ethics are important, especially in the Grouse woods.

Further just because I like good side lock double guns Best to hunt with, does not mean I do not own other types of shotguns for shooting clays and trap.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Wow. Some panties are really bunched up around here...

I have myself committed unforgivable "sins" such as hunting with synthetic wonder autos.

I'm going to keep my M2, and my '56 wingmaster, but I WILL NOT wander the mountains in search of grouse without a proper sxs any longer.

Honestly, I can't believe my stable no longer has proper irons for beating the grouse haunts. I am truly ashamed.

This madness must end. I am immediately searching for another sxs.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
cabinet,

Well I have hunted most all the western states including AZ for Mearns Quail and I have used my SXS double guns in every state, the men traveling with me, used SXS double guns also. Growing up has little to due with age, it has to due with maturity and knowledge of good double guns & Bamboo Fly Rods. Grow up and learn to use a good SXS double gun, Fly Fish with a great Bamboo Fly Rod.
My good double guns are lighter than most all Semi Auto and O/U guns, it's why were use them to Grouse hunt in the mountains, all over the world. Traditions & Ethics are important, especially in the Grouse woods.

Further just because I like good side lock double guns Best to hunt with, does not mean I do not own other types of shotguns for shooting clays and trap.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

I will agree with you regarding the value of good ethics. As for the traditions, not so much. It is far more important to be out bird hunting with a favorite gun, say, for example, an Ithaca Featherlight, Browning Auto-5 or Beretta O/U, than sitting home because one either doesn't own a SxS or simply does not shoot them well. I can appreciate your fondness for hunting with fine SxSs, but not your incessant harping about them to the detriment of other good shotguns. One size does not fit all...

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:30 am 
Crown Grade

Tradition varies with the individual and their own experiences.....it can be defined by no one other than the individual, nor can a tradition be applied willy-nilly and only based upon gamebird.

Ethics re birdhunting has nothing to do with a tool chosen(unless it is at some extreme or for need of a brag).... ethics has to do with the period of time pre-shot, the decision to shoot or not and, a period of time post-shot.
A large portion of ethics also involves respect for the bird at hand.

Character, to add another term, involves much but honesty in posting is one and couples tightly with an acceptance that we all differ in preference and procedure...within ethics and our own individual traditions.

"Name-dropping"....amazing how so many dropped names are often of dead folks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next