It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How far are you willing to go in qursuit of winged game
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

655 miles to Western Kansas for Pheasant
608 miles to Sandhill chickens and sharpies
897 miles to ND for Pheasant and a Hun or two
851 miles to SD for Pheasant and a Ruffed if we are lucky.
1209 miles to Az for Gambles and scaled.

We try to do at least two of these a year.

Also do some preserve, tower shoot, state released, opening day dove and the few and far between local wild pheasant or quail 12 or so times a year within 100 miles. Would love to do international some day. Have a bucket list retirement plan to do a 100th meridian hunt. Good lord willing and the creek don’t rise.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

I have to admit that the time and expense of traveling to bird hunts has definitely increased. When we invested in our motor home years ago, the cost went down for me to travel and set up a bird camp.

However now instead of taking the motor home to the UP we rent a nice cabin, for less than the fuel cost for running my motor home, back and forth to Pa. Short trips into the mountains to hunt here in Pa and NY are still cost effective, however they are becoming more costly also. Unless I purchase a new smaller motor home, that gets good fuel milage, the motor home is now more expensive to use than renting a nice cabin in most destination places, especially those farther away.

Because of my open heart surgery, the time away from my doctor appointments has become a problem also. Planning all this out to still be able to hunt has definitely become more difficult. Making sure there is a major hospital in immediate travel distance is also more of a concern. I use to travel and hunt a great deal of the time all by myself, this is no longer advisable for me either, and it cuts down on the many hunting trips I use to take all by myself. I need to have my hunting partner with me now, for my own safety, especially on the longer trips.

Dave B- L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:31 pm 
Crown Grade

It is not so much how far I am willing to travel but how far I can afford to travel. The furthest I have been was when I was a military brat in Taiwan where they have numerous species of doves, bamboo chickens & would you believe, Chinese pheasants? That was on the US Navy's nickel. The problem I have now is I can't leave my wife for long periods. I am on the NC/SC coast just South of Wilmington & the hunting is pretty good right here. I have been to N. Dakota a few times & am looking at Texas. I have hunted pheasant in Washington State & California but that doesn't count because at the time I didn't have to travel to get there!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

geometric,

Man you just brought back some hunting memories in the military for me big time. From Fort Devens, Mass to Germany, to Fort Huachuca, AZ and Fort Hood, TX there were other TDY stations also, that had good bird hunting. Near Ft Huachuca in AZ was the best Mearns Quail hunting in the USA, I also enjoyed the big Grouse in Germany, Ft Devens had good Grouse and Quail hunting both, Ft Hood had great Quail hunting and nice shoot to retrieve FT competitions. As a U.S. Army CID Special Agent I tried to bird hunt in every different place the military stationed me, or where I had to due felony investigative work. Most states and some countries in Europe allowed me to hunt on my military ID, some at no cost. I never thought of it as how far I went to hunt, Uncle Sam picked up all of the tab for travel most of the time.
I can remember being checked by a German Game Warden who was very polite, even gave me some directions to great Grouse habitat and different Grouse populations.

If you add all those miles into my hunting life, I traveled a good deal in my upland shooting life.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor