ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clothing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:16 am 
Tournament Grade

I need some new hunting clothing, Camo pants mostly, that can handle thorns when I’m doing upland, mostly rabbits. Both by not ripping and keeping the thorns from poking through and tearing my legs up. What brand and particular pair does everyone like here Camo pants wise that’s good for fighting through thick brush and thorns to get to your hunting spot?

Post subject: Re: Clothing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:46 pm 
Crown Grade

https://danshuntinggear.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:57 am 
Diamond Grade

Multiflora wrote:

Interesting...never heard of these folks before. How good is the quality? The selection and prices are right on...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:03 am 
Tournament Grade

Those look great, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:11 am 
Crown Grade

emgerrish wrote:
Multiflora wrote:

Interesting...never heard of these folks before. How good is the quality? The selection and prices are right on...

I had one piece of their gear and it was of solid quality.....never heard any negatives from others.

Other than their clothing can be heavy and hot, which are often offsets to briar-turning.....in general, such gear is not for me.
Heavy and hot is also very individual in description.
I prefer the opposite in clothing for birds or, even, bunnies but, the OP asked and that line is a good suggestion, to me...for him to try.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Multiflora wrote:
emgerrish wrote:
Multiflora wrote:

I had one piece of their gear and it was of solid quality.....never heard any negatives from others.

Other than their clothing can be heavy and hot, which are often offsets to briar-turning.....in general, such gear is not for me.
Heavy and hot is also very individual in description.
I prefer the opposite in clothing for birds or, even, bunnies but, the OP asked and that line is a good suggestion, to me...for him to try.

Weight I’m fine with and if they are really really durable and tough I can wear shorts underneath to help with the coolness. But I hunted rabbits a couple days ago and it was 34 and raining the whole time so I would have welcomed the heat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:54 pm 
Field Grade

Just bought some Patagonia field hacking pants. They are awesome but do get sweaty if it is warm and you are going uphill. They need vent zips but so do all of the upland pants out there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,
Many times when upland hunting and I know I am going to push some thorny brush, I use a light pair of pants and over them my upland chaps, made by Browning or Filson. I have been told Dans hunting gear also has some nice chaps, however I have never owned a pair.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:42 pm 

Get some Filson Tin Cloth chaps. Buy once, put them in your Will.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:19 am 
Presentation Grade

I agree on the chaps.
I purchased a pair of chaps from Cabelas a few years ago just because they were basically free with my points. I love them. I can layer whatever I want under them, they work well, and if need be I can take them off and put them in a backpack or game vest. Very versatile.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:44 am 
Tournament Grade

I use chaps a lot. I have an old pair of Bob Allen chaps that look like they will put live me. Second to the chaps is a pair of Orvis brush pant I bought at a rediculously discounted price at their outlet. I’ve never been much for brush pants, but man, these pants are comfortable.

Not sure why you need camo for bunny hunting. Not sure why anyone would wear camouflage for any type of upland hunting. Not really needed, and truthfully, when I’m with others who are also swinging a shotgun, I want to be seen.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

I just received my TEK Upland Water proof brush pants from L.L. Bean. These seem to be L.L. Beans version of Gore-Tex lined Brush Pants, and they are decently light for Grouse hunting in seriously bad weather. They are not camo like my Duck hunting Gore-Tex pants, these are two tone brown. So for Duck and Goose hunting they are pretty much a no go, however for jump shooting Wood Ducks they are just fine. Finding a camo pair of brush pants for using both ways is kind of tough now, everything seems to be a speciality item today.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:46 am 
Tournament Grade

uglydog .com has Columbia ptarmigan pants for $62.00. I have used these pants for years, and they hold up very well.
Also they have suspender buttons, which I regard as a must have.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:26 pm 
Crown Grade

The Columbia Ptarmigan pants are pretty good, I use them often when it is cooler outside. I haven't seen them in camo but I don't have an issue with light khaki that mine are.

When it's on the warm side I wear 5.11 Tactical pants. These are old duty pants of mine but they do a decent job of turning briars. They come in lightweight or winter weight though mine are all lightweight. They are also blue but olive, tan/khaki and probably a couple other neutral colors are available. These will work as well as camo -if they didn't then our forefathers wouldn't have been as successful as they were wiping out waterfowl.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:58 pm 
Field Grade

Check out Orvis. A person who hunts from beginning of season to the end will need a couple different weights of pants and shirts as I am often hunting in 80s-90s in Sept and below zero in Feb. A windbreaker is a great garment to have as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

rambo8+,

I have to agree that a good Wind Breaker is one useful piece of hunting gear. I have a Guide Series Water Proof Techo wind breaker that seems to be made out of some kind their own Gore-Tex material. Fully water proof I wear it Grouse hunting, under my Gore-Tex Browning Grouse Jacket when it is raining hard. Nice light wind breaker that really woks incredibly well. One of the best purchases I have ever made. If you purchase a wind breaker for hunting, make it a light weight fully water proof garment.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man