ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grouse Season in Pa
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

Now that the 2018 Grouse season here in Pa has closed the results here on the northern tier here in Potter and Tioga counties, and most of the surrounding counties were very very good. The Grouse population here was unaffected by WNV, the Grouse population was up and we shot lots of birds. This happened thru out the entire season, in fact right up to the end of the shortened season, we had great bird contact and serious gunning. The early snow had the birds sitting tight and the gun dogs made the best of it.

The tree harvest by the Pa PGC & the SFL a few years back is really starting to pay off, the conservation efforts of the Pa Game Commission, especially that of Eric Miller and the SFL Forester working together has really payed of in great Grouse habitat, and increased Grouse population. Our actual Grouse contact was more than 4.8 Grouse per hour thru out the entire Grouse season. The more the forest is managed properly, the bigger the Grouse population becomes. Great job guys, this is how our state employees working together make Pa habitat management possible. This same kind of forest management needs to happen in the Williamsport area also, so that the Grouse population will recover in that eastern portion of the northern tier.

{hs# Congrats to Eric Miller of the PGC and our Foresters here in Potter County - Fantastic Job gentlemen, your efforts payed off in our Grouse population increase here in Potter/Tioga.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 2018 Grouse Season in Pa
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:31 am 
Tournament Grade

Dave, more bad news for PA grouse hunters. In addition to your concern about the influx of grouse hunters from NJ due to the closed season there, the PA Game Commission is not optimistic about the numbers for this season. In the Sept/Oct issue of Pointing Dog Journal, the PGC grouse expert is quote as saying the flush rate in 2018 was down 20% from 2017. Your great hunting in 2018 must have been an exception due to the forest management you mentioned in your area. The expert also said the flush rate in 2018 was the lowest in the 52 years of keeping records. West Nile was given as a reason for the low numbers. So with less breeding birds for 2019 and the cool wet weather hindering brooding this Spring, PGC believes things don't look good for this season. The cool rainy also had a negative affect on nesting in NY according to the article so NY may not be a better option for NJ hunters.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

Doublesforever,

I was told that our Grouse population in this area was one of the few places unaffected by WNV, I guess we will see how things actually turn out this fall. Unfortunately I have just had open heart surgery so I will not be in the woods until late December of this coming season. I would rely on Eric Miller to furnish the actual Grouse count information, later on this season. I am certainly not giving away my covert locations that is for sure. Our home property has a lot fewer Grouse on it than last year. This gives me cause for concern, even here in the up coming Grouse season.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Penny my prize Gordon Setter Grouse Dog with one of her many Potter County Grouse and my modern 28 gauge L.C. Smith double gun.

Pine Creek Sampson our Incredible Small Munsterlander Grouse Dog with his Potter County, Pa True Grouse Double, taken with a 16 gauge L.C. Smith Hammer Gun. He was also responsible for the only true Scotch double Grouse I have ever taken, with a different L.C. Smith 16 gauge double gun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Dave, Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Hope you can quickly get back into the grouse woods.
Great pictures of your dogs and guns.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:39 am 
Presentation Grade

DoublesForever,

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it buddy.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man