ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Turkey in about a dozen years.
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

I used to hunt turkey every year for quite a few years. I learned to call from a dear friend who was a great and early turkey hunter here in NY. My friend passed away 12 years ago and the turkey population around me dropped and I sat out many seasons. Last week I offered to call for a friend who had never taken a turkey. I called in two gobblers and unfortunately he missed. Even tho it's late in the season, I've been hearing Tom's doing lots of gobbling. Yesterday I picked up my Turkey tags and set out this morning.

I live on a small river and hunted the woods near my house. When I started my first couple calling sequence I heard a Tom hit my call across the river. I worked that bird for 15 min and finally heard it gobble on my side of the river. As I was working that bird, I noticed a hen about 30 yds in front of me, she never made a sound. When that Tom got close, she went to him and off they went. [email protected]#!!!. She walked off with my man!. He did hit my call a couple times as he went off with her.

I took a break and then started another yelp sequence. I heard a gobble far off behind me and started working on him. Then another Tom gobbled. I turned around to face them and continued calling, changing from my Lynch Raspy Hen box call to a Quaker Boy Pro Triple mouth call as they got close. I brought them both into 20 yrds and dropped one with a 3" Remington 4X6 Duplex load out of my scoped 870 Magnum. While the Jake was flopping around, his partner went into a full strut. Wha??? Stupid Jakes! I can only take one bird a day so I walked over to my downed bird and watched the other Jake run off, putting as he went. He got an education and will be harder to get next time. My Jake had a 3" beard and weighed 17 lbs. Even though I have taken many nice long-beards in the past, this first turkey in many years was fun and getting a mid-season bird on my first day out in 12 years was unexpected.

Post subject: Re: First Turkey in about a dozen years.
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

Congrats!

I specifically targeted a Jake this year so I could have options from my full strutter. Fake Jake is still under construction!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

Nicely done!

Then again, come to my neighborhood with a slingshot and get as many as you want. If you have bread, they'll stick their heads in the barrel of your shotgun for it. I swerve to miss them at least once a week or so.

I never, and I mean NEVER used to see turkeys in the suburbs growing up. I did see pheasants - haven't seen those in about 30 years out here. But turkeys? My brother in law curses every year he can't get a good one out in the sticks. I tell him they're all living above my garage and won't pay their cable bill, so come and get them any time :)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Very nice!
One of the few critters I have yet attempted to hunt. Great work!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Last edited by oneounceload on Sat May 18, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks all. I love talkin' turkey. Connecting on the shot is just a small bonus. This is the latest in a season I've ever gotten a bird.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well done, twohigh, and congrats! A 17 lb. jake is a very fine bird on the table.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks all. Having one of his breasts in a stir-fry tonight with curry, broccoli, carrots, snap peas and leek.

I might even enjoy it with a glass of Wild Turkey!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Congrats! I enjoyed your story telling also. Well done.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.