ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite game to hunt?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:53 am 
Diamond Grade

What's everyone's favorite game to hunt?

I'm caught between hunting rabbits over ferrets and flushed foxes with the dogs.

I think the Foxes probably win, I grew up shooting fox drives every Sunday after church as a kid, and I still do the odd drive now and want to get back into it through the local field and game club.
Calling them into the whistle also gives me a strong sence of achievement as tricking something so cunning into running my to within meters of its only predator against it's instinct is a great feeling

I've taken Pigs and Deer and even wild goats with the shotgun but those same game animinals I hunted as a kid still give me the most satisfaction.

Last edited by Bob9863 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Favorite game to hunt?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wild Bobwhite quail, hands down! Nothing else even comes close.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:17 am 
Crown Grade

Depends...several bird species are special for the time and effort invested, the place found and the memories made.
However, I would hate to downrate any of them by attaching a numerical value to their attraction, as each can shine...if we are looking.

The important and consistent point which connects them all, pun intended, are the birddogs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:06 am 
Crown Grade

Multiflora wrote:
Depends...several bird species are special for the time and effort invested, the place found and the memories made.
However, I would hate to downrate any of them by attaching a numerical value to their attraction, as each can shine...if we are looking.

The important and consistent point which connects them all, pun intended, are the birddogs.

This pretty succinctly summarizes my feelings. Hard to pick just one because they are all different and equally precious in the events and memories that I`ve been priviledged to
experience. Matching wits with a spring gobbler and just enjoying the woods, the memories of walking up behind a setter or pointer on point, the comraderie and shooting ( a lot ! ) in a busy dove field... all equally special.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:10 am 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
Wild Bobwhite quail, hands down! Nothing else even comes close.

Great fun but it is now #2 for me. Ruffed grouse is the King IMO!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ain’t no grouse in Kansas. In fact I’ve never even seen one. So, we have to settle for wild pheasant and quail for the most part. Quail are coming back and pheasant are plentiful

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:16 am 
Presentation Grade

casonet wrote:
Quail are coming back.....
It may be so in your part of Kansas, but we're sure not seeing in our little corner of the state. Thus, my vote, right now, for favorite game is doves.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:18 am 
Crown Grade

Great to hear quail are coming back! Really good news!!!

Since I live in FL there is even less to hunt than in KS. It is also hindered by being an over populated state. I travel to do my grouse or anything else hunting. Either that or settle for some lame preserve quail hunts and tower pheasants.

There are significant numbers of turkeys to be hunted and that is fun when I can get on private land. Otherwise it is too dangerous.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:14 pm 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:
Great to hear quail are coming back! Really good news!!!

Since I live in FL there is even less to hunt than in KS. It is also hindered by being an over populated state. I travel to do my grouse or anything else hunting. Either that or settle for some lame preserve quail hunts and tower pheasants.

There are significant numbers of turkeys to be hunted and that is fun when I can get on private land. Otherwise it is too dangerous.

First of all, I don`t blame or criticize anyone who hunts pen raised and put birds. If that`s all you have.... Having said that, it`s not for me. I did it one time and compared to wild quail it felt like shooting small chickens. Sometimes they would fly only 15-20 yards. One guy actually killed one with his cap! I do get the impression that there may be a bit of an increase in wild populations here in Georgia. I would love to see them come back to significant levels in what remains of my lifetime. Even if I never hunt them again, just hearing them whistle conjures up so very many dear and pleasant memories of people..and dogs..and times... that I`ve loved.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Ruffed Grouse.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I hunted last fall in the Great Bend area and we got up 5 big coveys. It was fun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ruffed Grouse and Woodcock top the chart for me, but driven pheasant, partridge and woodcock are a close second.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

I did love hunting Magpie geese up north, and as fun as wing shooting is, especially as they come thumping down.
But I still think that rolling a fox in full flight is my favorite thing to see.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ducks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:24 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
I hunted last fall in the Great Bend area and we got up 5 big coveys. It was fun

Be careful casonet or you will have me coming to KS to hunt those wild coveys! You have been warned. LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Tops for me is squirrels, with doves as a close second.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

#1-pheasants
#2-whitetail deer

However, squirrels are on my list to get me in the field more.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:59 am 
Diamond Grade

That's something I love about shotguns, there isn't much that you can't hunt with them, they are the most flexible of hunting arms.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Squirrels and rabbits.

Why rabbits? I love hearing the dogs run. Beautiful music. I don't care if I have a gun on a rabbit hunt.

Doves when there are any. None, or very few in coastal NC last few years. 40 years ago they were plentiful, now very few.

I will pick rabbits as my favorite now due to the woods being so tangled up by fallen trees due to hurricanes. It is almost impossible to get through. One can't get to the squirrels. With rabbit dogs, the quarry comes to the field or lane.

The two most common elements in the
universe are hydrogen and stupidity.”

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Wild quail for me, followed by plantation quail, any species.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin