ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Favorite game to hunt?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:01 am 
Utility Grade

Jealous of the variety of game some of you guys have in other countries.

We only really have wild pigs around here to shoot on the farm, but I really love venison so will be taking a trip interstate to pick up some deer. Been spending my time reading up in the meantime. :)

Post subject: Re: Favorite game to hunt?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

Having grown up in Potter County, Pa where Grouse and Woodcock hunting have been part of our family tradition, back as far as any of my family can remember, even the Deer and Turkey hunting take a back seat to working Grouse and Woodcock with a fine gun dog. We have a fantastic Black Bear population here that the men love to hunt also.

For me however nothing matches the excitement of watching a great Grouse dog match wits with the King of Game birds. We have owned and trained a lot of different kinds of Gun dogs thru the generations, from German Short Hairs, Weimars to Small Munsterlanders, Gordons to Ryman Setters, our family has owned, hunted and trained many different gun dogs.

I always keep coming back to George Ryman's Pa Grouse dogs, both his Ryman English Setters and his Gordons Setters, his Gordons few people actually know about. It's the way they hunt, especially in the snow covered mountains, they drift thru the endless mountains and handle Grouse in ways that I truly love, instinctively setting birds for my gunning without having to be spoken too.

George had a saying about his dogs, just take my dogs to the woods and they will teach a man how to Grouse hunt. Truer words were never spoken, I learned behind my Grandfathers incredible female Ryman Setter Maggie Mae, I started when I was 5 years old. When GBE started complaining about the lack of Grouse in lower Pa and WVa we had so many Grouse in Potter County, Pa my Grandmother called them nuisances birds, they were in her garden so much.

We hunted Woodcock along with our Grouse, some of the finest gunning a man can ever have. My Grandfather liking the taste of the Woodcock he shot many, and he ate everyone of them. I love the taste of Grouse, a lot more than Woodcock. My Grandmother made Grouse meals that were out of this world good. GBE and Kay only thought they knew how to cook Grouse, my Grandmothers cooking witchery, Kay Evans would have given her soul to possess. Not just Grouse & Woodcock but Rabbit and Squirrel, and wild Turkey & Venison, even some incredible Bear meals. My Grandmothers Elk roasts were Potter County Legend. On top of all this, my father was a Master Chef and Baker, trained by the man who owned the Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter, New Orleans, La.

When I grew up I thought everyones parents cooked as our family did. Got a rude awakening when I was drafted into the U. S. Army, in the Viet Nam era, I tell ya.

Having grown up being taught a lot about life by my Grandfather, I know I am a throw back to his generation. I try to pass on his way of life by being a mentor to as many Grouse and Woodcock hunters as I can, via my Grouse dog training program and the RGS/AWS.

It's a way of life not just a sport!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Penny our incredible Gordon Grouse Dog.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor