ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Favorite game to hunt?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, Cape buffalo is the most awesome hunting there is, period.

Now if you are talking with a shotgun, my first choice would be the Virginia style dove hunt. It is as much a social event as a shooting/meat gathering exercise.

Finally, anything with a dog. Whether yelping hounds, stylish pointers, crazy labs, or whirling dervish spaniels, I feel their joy. I would't shoot at all if it wasn't a reward for the pups.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

Rabbits&beagles,ducks,doves,and pheasant WITH a dog.And last but not least squirrel,mostly float hunts again with the pooch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:43 am 
Diamond Grade

Sporting Fan wrote:
Well, Cape buffalo is the most awesome hunting there is, period.

Now if you are talking with a shotgun, my first choice would be the Virginia style dove hunt.

I've taken northern territory water buffalo with Brenneke slugs, I started seeing a few turn up at a backwater spot I hunted geese at one year, after the 2nd time I saw them I started packing slugs on the just in case.
They showed up again a couple of weeks later and I managed to sneak in behind them and drop one with 3 slugs after a hasty reload.
A month later the same mob was back and I got another one, but it took a few more shots and run after a wounded one and slug to the head when he stood his ground.
Now that was an exciting hunt, but not one I'd care to repeat again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

I hunted Bantaan (sp?) and Water Buffalo in the Northern territories (Arnhem?). I could really fall in love with Australia. The people are awesome and the hunting is so very good. I might add hot, Really Hot.

I hosted an Aussie for a few days of Scaled qual hunting in eastern Colorado. That man could shoot a shotgun as good as anybody I have ever met.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Bob9863,

Pa's spooky Grouse & Woodcock hunting are my favorites, however Mearns Quail in Az are a mighty close 2nd. When Lancaster County, Pa had wild Pheasants they were great hunting with a dog, pointing or flushing.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ducks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pheasant and white tailed deer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:24 am 
Presentation Grade

The ever elusive clay pidgon!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:31 am 
Limited Edition

Chasing Partridge with Pointing dogs on the prairies.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:33 am 
Crown Grade

In no particular order,

Quail and pheasant with dog(s) and shotgun,

Coyotes, by mouth-blown calling and centerfire rife,

Rabbits with dog(s) and .22 DA revolver.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

2nd post - It's Grouse and Woodcock for me, a close 2nd would be Mearns Quail in Arizona. All of this with a great gun dog, nothing beats the dogs work on wild birds.

Our wild Pheasants in Lancaster County, Pa were great sport also. With a serious gun dog it was fantastic hunting. Gone for the most part now.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:54 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

My member name says it all. If it fly's, have gun will travel.

Endowment Life Member NRA, NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Rifle,Shotgun,Handgun), Georgia Hunter Safety Instructor, Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (Rifle,Shotgun). MOTTO: "Molding Young Minds Is The Future" & "I'm The NRA"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

While I now live in the far north of Minnesota and right in the middle of prime grouse hunting habitat, the open farm fields of west central Minnesota still call to me for the pheasants of my youth.

I still enjoy relaxing days behind my Spaniels searching for those elusive roosters. The quickened pace and spinning tails of my dogs hot on digging out a rooster from the cattails, the explosion of wings as the bright colors of a rooster trying to climb skywards and if you are very lucky, the sight of a liver and white Springer stretched out "climbing the sky" just inches behind the bird. In honesty, such a tableau before me has prevented me from even thinking about shooting at times. Much to the disbelief and "I am disappoint" look of the dog. But the awe of the moment never fails to bring me to a total stop.

Grouse are fun to hunt and are among the finest table fair, and the sudden wing beats in the dense forest will quicken your pulse. But nothing can match the memories of those roosters and Springers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:51 am 
Presentation Grade

Dalee100,

Got to admit I have a soft spot in my heart for the big bird hunting myself. Here in Pa we had some of the greatest wild pheasant hunting ever known to a sportsman. We never used flushing dogs much except to flush the big birds when pointed. I can sure understand the way you think, however even with all the wild Pheasants we hunted and shot, watching a great Grouse dog set a Grouse for gunning still makes my heart beat faster than all the Pheasants I ever shot. Got to admit Mearns Quail have almost the same effect on me as the Grouse. However there is something special about wild Pheasant hunting, especially when you grow up gunning the big birds, what a great learning experience.

From The Upland Shooting Life, page 73.

" When I think of shooting, which is often, I think of grouse. For if woodcock shooting is one of my delights and pheasant shooting a dalliance, grouse shooting is my addiction" GBE

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

Bob9863 wrote:
What's everyone's favorite game to hunt?

Yes! :lol:

Game.

And games.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

First-for me would be Woodcock. A very sporty little bird. By profession I am a forester and that puts the Woodcock right in my wheelhouse. For me nothing matches watching a motivated and athletic dog with a good nose lighting up the woods. After the point the wing shooting can be about like hitting a sparrow while trying to shoot through the eye of a needle.

Second-Wild pheasant. There is no more spectacular flush in the uplands than a cackling rooster with all its brilliant colors lit up by the sun. Their running nature also lends itself to some good dog work. A running crippled rooster can lead to the most spirited tracks leading up to the retrieve I have witnessed in the uplands.

Third-wild Chukar. Their wily nature and where they are found make them a prize that most often is the hardest earned of the upland birds. Bat sh*t crazy birds that the best dogs often use thermals to get pointed from above. If not for their predictable tendency to flush down the fall line they would be almost un-killable.

Fourth-scaled quail on the desert. No bird I have hunted teaches a dog to deal with runners quite like a blue quail. If any bird was spawned by the devil, it is the blue. They are also my favorite to eat.

Fifth-Gentleman Bob White. In the boom years when birds are plentiful, there is nothing like that up your leg flush of a tight holding covey of Pointed bobs to go along with the sub gauge shotguns the purists favor.

Six-Huns. Bob White on steroids. Tailor made for a big running dog with a long nose.

Hell, as different as they are, I like chasing them all with a good dog.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Willie T,

Great post! If you aren't already an outdoor writer, you should give it some consideration.

s/f Steve
(was Sporting Fan)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am rather partial to deer hunting, along with small game. There are some nice deer on my lease. Here is the last one I shot just before the season ended.

The two most common elements in the
universe are hydrogen and stupidity.”

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Gunsite Guy wrote:
Willie T,

Great post! If you aren't already an outdoor writer, you should give it some consideration.

s/f Steve
(was Sporting Fan)

Just an old bird hunter with a deep appreciation for the birds and places we hunt them and the simple joy I get from watching a good bird dog work.
Willie T

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:51 am 
Diamond Grade

That's the thing I love about shotguns, just look at the game that can be hunted with one, everything has been taken with one in this thread just shows there's pretty much nothing that can't be humanly taken with one.
We have the tiniest of birds to large deer and a few bigger game too.
Best of all you can hunt you favourite game with it and still be set up for any other game you might have the opportunity to hunt.