ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sporting Clays transitions to hunting
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:25 pm 
Utility Grade

So I currently have and been shooting a Sport II. I used to shoot clays a lot a couple years back and grew up in the sporting clay world but, bigger game hunter has taken over my time. So I not completely new to the shooting scene but I want to get into bird hunting. So this season I'm planning on dove and hopefully waterfowl later in the season. Just wondering what all if anything needs to be modified, as I haven't been involved with shotguns as much recently. I know the design of the gun is sporting clays in particular so I am not sure if things such as the buffer spring would need to be replaced for a higher tension spring. Are the loads used for birds in general much greater than clays? As well as the gun being for 3" shells, can I stick with 3" for dove as well as waterfowl in the future?

Any advice/input appreciated

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Sporting Clays transitions to hunting
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

dsd,

In reality your Clays gun is a high grade hunting gun, your 3" chambered gun will accommodate most any kind of shell you need for both Upland and Waterfowl, you may however find your stock a might long for winter gunning. I do suggest you pick up a nice Classic American or German Best double gun for upland hunting. The more you upland hunt, the more you will appreciate a good SXS double gun. If you are going to do a lot of Duck hunting many hunters like the Semi-Auto for the softer recoil while shooting multiple Ducks.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:13 pm 
Crown Grade

You do not need 3" ammo for doves; there are even excellent 2-3/4" no-tox loads for waterfowl.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

oneounceload,

I believe he already has a gun with the 3" chamber, you are correct however there are 2 3/4" shells that are more than adequate for most any hunting.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Just because a gun has 3" chambers does NOT mean he has to use them. I know that, I KNOW you know that, but maybe he doesn't?

See the same thing on handgun forums with 38/357 and 44Spl/44mag

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Yes I do know that I am not limited to just 3" shells, more was wondering if larger loads were needed or often used. Basically what I am taking from this is that my current set up it more than adequate, yet in the future if I do end up being more involved I should look into another gun. I do appreciate the input guys, it has cleared things up for me!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Unless you're pass shooting high geese, you should be GTG for clays and winged creatures with lead or non-tox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

dale,

Once you start upland hunting, my recommendation is to invest in a few quality SXS double guns. If you intend on becoming a Grouse & Woodcock hunter or a Quail hunter there are many quality Classic American, Euro and German 2 1/2" double guns that are light and fantastic to upland hunt with. After you use one of these good well balanced double guns that you can carry easily all day long thru the mountains or the fields, you will understand what I am talking about. Don't get me wrong you can still use your Clays gun to upland hunt, having good SXS double guns just expands how you think upland hunting should be accomplished.

Owning a fine Boss or J.P. Sauer Best double gun is an investment into your upland hunting tradition, Classic American SXS double guns can also be addictive to upland hunt with. After a while many Grouse hunters like myself, leave their O/U guns at home while they are upland hunting. Even my 28 gauge O/U guns are pretty much religated to shooting Clays and gun dog training.

When you get into traditional Grouse, Woodcock & Quail hunting, gunning birds with a fine light double gun begins to mean something a lot more than just killing birds. In my case a gun dog and a fine double gun mean as much as the incredible habitat we hunt in. We all look at upland hunting in different ways, I hope you enjoy your upland & Duck hunting as much as I do.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

When you really want to add some serious tradition to your upland hunting, add a Classic American Hammer Gun to your upland or Duck hunting.

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

The most import transition is a proper gun mount. You can’t sit in the dove blind or walk around the field with a gun plastered to your shoulder. If you do not routinely shoot clays with a low gun start now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

dale,
I agree with PO 100% practice from the gun down safe on starting position as you would while you were hunting. As I indicated before you may find your Clays gun a might long in the stock, for late fall and winter hunting, practice your gun mount with the clothing you intend to hunt in.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

I differ from Pine Creek Dave, in that I believe you should not give any need to his advice to buy side-by-side doubles for upland hunting. Yes, yes, they are supposedly the quintessential bird gun. Bear in mind, however, that many of the "classic" guns Dave touts have abominable stock dimensions, wholly unsuited to the shooting style of most of today's hunters.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

dale

Of course there are many American Classics with stock dimensions that you might not like, there are also many with great modern stock dimension, a man must choose wisely any gun he is purchasing. Further many men still gun birds with the old time stock dimensions on their guns. I have learned to gun birds no matter the stock dimensions.

Many people like VJ2 do not like SXS double guns to upland hunt, each to his own. If you are looking to eventually due traditional upland hunting a Classic American or Best double gun is part of that tradition.
However many guns will get the job done and at a lower cost. It all depends on what you like and what you can afford to purchase.

Further there is something to be said for the sportsmanship of using a good SXS Hammer Gun while bird hunting, especially Grouse and woodcock hunting. IMO nothing comes close to the sportsmanship of using a sub-gauge Hammer Gun, hunting over a fantastic pointing dog. Other people have different ways of looking at how they hunt, each to his own.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Our old 20 gauge SXS H&R Hammer Gun made in 1900. With the RST or Poly SpredR shells it performs like the day it was made. The gun weighs under 5 Lbs, carries and shoots incredibly well. IMO gunning Grouse & Woodcock with this kind of Hammer Gun is sportsmanship at its highest level. This particular Antique bird gun, has great modern stock dimensions especially for a gun built in 1900, that uses 2 1/2" shells. I am currently looking to acquire a 28 gauge Hammer gun just like it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Your current gun will be fine. There is no significant operating difference between field and sporting clays guns. Your standard target load of #7.5 or #8 shot will work fine for dove. Waterfowl will probably be best served with 3" shells of the appropriate size shot if using steel.

If you have proper gun mounting technique you will have no problems with the gun catching on clothing. Sporting clays is typically shot with the gun down so gun mount will not be much of an issue. The most difficult transition is not seeing "call birds" and being able to set up your shot. You will have to make some mental adjustments and physical adaptations but the basic skills do transfer well.

As for shotgun types, yours will work great for anything you want it to do and there is no need to change. If you want a SxS, O/U, pump, or other type then go with it but don't think you need a certain action type for certain game. It is what you find enjoyable and pleasing that matters.

As an aside, if you get the chance to hunt ruffed grouse try it with a 22 rimfire or pistol. As a big game hunter you may find it very challenging and satisfying though not very productive. If you want numbers, use a shotgun with dogs but the birds taken begin to blur. Of course, make sure doing so is legal where you are hunting grouse -not everyplace is enlightened to allow the practice.