ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shooting with Mono Vision
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:50 pm 
Utility Grade

I am brand new to hunting. I will be hunting with a shotgun. I am cross dominant (right handed and left eye dominant). I am far sighted in my left (dominant eye). I am near sighted in my right (non-dominant) eye. I've been taught to shoot a shotgun with both eyes open. Here are my questions: (1) Should I shoot left handed? If so, should I shoot with both eyes open? With mono vision you lose a little of your depth perception. (2) Should I get a pair of shooting glasses that has zero prescription for the dominant far-sighted eye but a prescription for the right non-dominant eye for distance? If I did that, both eyes would see clearly for distance, but only one would see clearly up close. This eye imbalance is a result of cataract surgery on only one eye. It left me near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Shooting with Mono Vision
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:08 pm 
Crown Grade

1) Shoot left handed.
2) Keep both eyes open.
3) Discuss with your eye doctor regarding whether a prescription is even needed providing they have an understanding of the requirements of a shooter. Otherwise, enlist the advice or get a referral to a sports optometrist who can help you. Close vision is not really needed for shotgun shooting, targets should be greater than arm's length away. If necessary, let someone else handle the score sheet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:46 am 
Crown Grade

If you opt for the prescription glasses, get bifocals. In fact, you can buy a small lens at the drug store that will stick to the bottom of your shooting glasses.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:53 pm 
Field Grade

I tried monovision contacts several years ago. Unfortunately I found that I had issues at matches with dust, drying eyes and comfort. So I switched to a pair of monovision shooting glasses I had made by my local optometrist. I had them made the same way, with the dominant close-up lens. Works very well for what I do.