ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coyote hunting
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:09 am 
Utility Grade

Ok so I went rabbit hunting yesterday with my Mossberg 500 with a modified choke and some 7 1/2 bird shot. This went awesome and I shot a lot of rabbits. However while I was out there I saw a few coyotes and I got to thinking about what would be the best coyote hunting setup on my Mossberg 500. I was thinking #4 buck but again was unsure as to what the best load would be from some more experienced coyote hunters. Also, what are some really good aftermarket chokes for coyotes? Thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: Coyote hunting
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:12 am 
Tournament Grade

Blast them with what every you got . You will save a lot of fawns. I get a lot coming in when Turkey Hunting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Assuming you are using a 12 ga:

My favorite lead shot size is #2 followed distantly by BB. An even further distance back at 3rd place is #4 in either bird shot or buckshot. The larger sizes of buckshot tend to run out of pellet density before energy and I am not a fan of purposely shooting something and letting go off and die. The exception would be if #4 buckshot came in something like the Flight control wads. Then it would tie with BB in second place.

The lead loads I use are premium loads featuring hard shot and buffering. 1 5/8 and 1 7/8 oz loads such as Winchester Super X Double, Federal Premium, and Remington Nitro Mag are some examples to look for. If havin g to rely on #4 birdshot, then I would look at what turkey loads I had available.

I found bismuth, tungsten poly, and other pellet types similar to lead to follow the lead recommendations.

In the heavier than lead non-toxics I have had good success with #2 and 4 birdshot followed by BB. I have found these effective enough that I have not used larger shot sizes much. I suspect B size shot in the heavier than lead types would be a very effective load but they have been rare on local shelves. The T and larger sizes work the little I've used them but I feel more comfortable with more pellets in the load.

I have found steel BB and BBB to be pretty effective on coyotes at appropriate distances. We usually shoot several coyotes while goose hunting and those are our standard loads. I don't consider any of the loads to be good for going away shots but give at least a slight quartering angle and the loads work much better.

This is what I have come to settle on but then the visibility where I chose a shotgun is not over 60 yards and shots are well within 50, usually considerably less. If shots of 50 yards and over are expected, then I grab a rifle instead of a shotgun.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:08 pm 
Crown Grade

I have only killed one coyote & that was with a spreader load of #6 (1.25 oz. & modified choke). He didn't move from where I shot him. Twenty yard 'ish. We didn't have coyotes here when I was a kid but I was in ND pheasant hunting when I shot him. Folks that have shot a lot more of them than me say a load of bird shot as, in pheasant, will make them mighty sick at normal range if it doesn't kill them. I have been planning to hunt them here in SC but have been too buisy until recently. I will use a rifle in day light. At night, I will use a 10 ga. with #2 or BB shot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

I always liked 36gm (1 1/4oz) BB's for larger vermin but then I switched to #3 shot and found I got more range due to much fuller patterns.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:17 am 
Tournament Grade

I have had good luck on foxes with T shot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:22 am 
Crown Grade

Use the Boar Blaster choke.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:47 pm 
Field Grade

I do a lot of yote hunting here in east TN and I hand load my own buffered T shot. I have killed them with a turkey load of 4's to the side of the head at 40yrds but trust me you want a little more bite down range. BB would be my absolute min for coyotes and pattern your gun at the range you expect. Carlson and kicks are my go to chokes. ( Carlson .680 tky choke for my a400 and kicks .680 for my sbe2)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just as a thought, get good at doing your shell changes to switch out shot signs