ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cylinder choke for pheasant?
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:44 am 
Diamond Grade

In talking with a friend and making tentative plans for autumn, the subject of chokes came up. I hadn’t considered using a Cylinder choke before; he uses one. I was under the impression that without choke, patterns suffer. I thought I’d ask here. What experience have you had using a Cylinder choked barrel?

Post subject: Re: Cylinder choke for pheasant?
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:19 am 
Presentation Grade

For wild pheasant I think that a modified might serve better. I did use cylinder and improved cylinder for several years on wild quail behind dogs.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:23 am 
Diamond Grade

I use improved cylinder or modified normally but occasionally full if I’m using a double with fixed chokes.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:03 pm 
Limited Edition

My great uncle used to shoot around 150 wild pheasants a year over a great pointing dog with a 12 gauge 1100 Remington skeet gun. I had years I killed over 50 wild birds shooting a full choked 3" 20 gauge over a good flushing dog. I usually shoot a modified choke in a 12 gauge in more recent years.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:20 pm 
Crown Grade

How do you hunt pheasants and how willing are you to pass on shots?

True cylinder and pheasants, either pointed by a dog "up close" or those nearly or stepped upon after a snow, will see that theoretically zero constriction giving enough pattern(given appropriate load and pellet).....while understanding that the shooter is always the main if-y component in shooting game birds by placing the pattern where it is needed...when.
Choke trails shooter.

Most of us tho, or many, choke for a dose of worst case.....doubles and DTs may add a bit of leeway, of course.

If you are of the jump-em-up kind without a pup or are waiting on a skirmish line to advance...then be willing and wise enough to pass with cylinder bore.

Cylinder with pheasants appears to be seen by some as a way to gain an imagined helping hand....that thinking places the bird second to the hunter.
Always put the bird first, dog second and hunter third and.....proper choke issues will likely be more clear.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:45 am 
Tournament Grade

I have been using cylinder and skeet choke tubes in my double guns for pheasants for years.I mostly use 20 gauge guns with cylinder in the bottom barrel and skeet in the upper. I use 2 and 3/4 inch shells with steel shot. Steel shoots tighter patterns so less need for tighter chokes. I hunt over a pointing dog and keep my shots within 30 yards. Also, I hunt in areas where the birds are often in thick wooded areas not just big open fields. More like grouse hunting. In those conditions, shots are often within 20 yards. Tighter chokes would probably do too much damage to the bird. I have no problem killing birds with these open chokes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

As has been stated, it really depends on what type of hunting you do and what range your shots are typically at. Having said that, I personally wouldn't use cylinder choke on pheasants. I consider IC to be the most open choke I would use. If not using dogs or if pheasants are not holding/flushing wild, Modified or IM would be my choice. Maybe even Full. My philosophy is that I would rather have a little too much choke and let a close bird get out there a little ways before taking a shot than have not enough choke and have to pass on anything other than an in your face type of shot. YMMV.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:47 pm 
Crown Grade

double20 wrote:
As has been stated, it really depends on what type of hunting you do and what range your shots are typically at. Having said that, I personally wouldn't use cylinder choke on pheasants. I consider IC to be the most open choke I would use. If not using dogs or if pheasants are not holding/flushing wild, Modified or IM would be my choice. Maybe even Full. My philosophy is that I would rather have a little too much choke and let a close bird get out there a little ways before taking a shot than have not enough choke and have to pass on anything other than an in your face type of shot. YMMV.

^^Yes. I have done it with fixed Improved Cylinder but that was because it was all I had.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:56 am 
Presentation Grade

EricB,

For many years most Pheasant hunters used guns choked M/F many still do. Using an open choke for Pheasants is fine if you have a good dog who works close and points well. For longer shots on wild Pheasants I would stick to the M/F choked gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

1926 upgraded LeFever/Ithaca coked M/F.

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

I agree & will stick with Imp Cyl or Mod. I rarely change chokes at all. Cylinder, for me anyway, is too limited. Just wondered if other people on the forum were hunting pheasant with Cylinder bored shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
EricB,

For many years most Pheasant hunters used guns choked M/F many still do. Using an open choke for Pheasants if fine if you have a good dog who works close and point well. For longer shots on wild Pheasants I would stick to the M/F choked gun.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

1926 upgraded LeFever/Ithaca coked M/F.

You hunting woodcock with modified and full? :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:20 pm 
Crown Grade

I’ve shot a lot of wild birds with a skeet choke!
I’ve had good dogs and rarely lose a cripple.
My 1 year old lab is at the trainer and is looking really good so far! ^o^

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

lossking,

Not a problem with the RST or Poly SpredR shells, makes the gun preform as if it had old time slow burning powders that open up correctly with M/F classic American and German Best guns. The LeFever pictured is a deadly bird gun, with the correct shells. My understanding is that the gun was used in Texas for both Quail and Pheasant hunting by the original owner.

I did not take the time to dig out one of the bird guns with a Pheasant pictured.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ah, yes; makes much more sense with the spreaders.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

lossking,

You are quite observant however, this is not one of my usual Grouse & Woodcock guns, it gets used mostly for Pheasant and it really puts the big birds down quite well with Fiocchi #6 or Golden Pheasant #5's.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

However I still love my 16 and 20 gauge Hammer Guns in the Grouse woods! IMO it's the most challenging bird hunting there is. You and your companion dog must do everything perfectly, a true double Grouse in this manner is a life time accomplishment.

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:06 am 
Tournament Grade

Wild birds, late season, no way on cylinder choke. The flush is most likely 25-30 yds out after the first couple weeks on wild birds here.

Full or modified here, mostly full choke. I prefer to let the birds get out a bit if they are a close flush. 1 3/8 oz loads, 2's - 5's, lead.

My in laws ran a hunting lodge for years here in SD which I was lucky to spend the weekends for 10 plus years helping and the worst was when people came in with poor shells and way to open of chokes. Most of the day was spent with the dogs chasing wounded pheasants or watching them fly away. 1 ounce game loads in 6 or 7.5 shot are not a wild pheasant shell. This was all wild bird hunting and on average they harvested 3000 birds a year. Not to say they didn't pull in some released birds from the neighbors with the habitat they had, but it's easy to tell with the nose holes or clipped toe what you are shooting.

Now, pen raised club shooting, sure I could see the cylinder choke.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:38 am 
Crown Grade

The birds we hunt, over pointing dogs, are easily killed with a SK/M combination. If I'm using a SA, I'll use LM, that works really well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:19 am 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

From the 50's thru the late 70's we shot a lot of wild Pheasants in Lancaster County, Pa. The men used all kinds of different shotguns however most were choked either M or F even if you had a seriously good gun dog. Our SXS double guns were choked M/F and we used good high grade shells mostly of our own rolling, especially if you owned a good 16 gauge gun.
Few people in that era hunted Pheasant with open choked guns, those guns were used for Grouse, Woodcock and Quail, especially until the new Nitro type shells were introduced to the market.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:47 am 
Diamond Grade

I use mod and/or IC for wild pheasants in over under shotguns, and mod in single barrel guns. In my view a culinder choke would be marginal at best beyond 30 yards.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

df,

I agree in most cases. I have L.C. Smith shotguns choked in different manners and some 2 barrel set guns especially choked for Pheasant and Duck hunting with one set of Barrels choked M/F and the other set of Barrels choked C/IC for Grouse, Woodcock & Quail hunting.

However I have killed Pheasant and Wood Ducks with my C/IC barrels on these guns when the opportunity arose. Granted I would not have taken the shots without a good gun dog.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

16 gauge pre 13 L.C. Smith with 2 set of Barrels choked for different bird shooting.