Shotgun Forum banner

Refinished Model 12s

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Ga. Skeet 
#1 ·
How much does it decrease value?
Saw lots of them at the Tulsa gun show. More refinished than original ones.
New trend??

#4 ·
Dr Duk said:
CriscoKid said:

50% of the value of an un-refinished gun is the general rule... 8)
Why are all these people refinishing them then??
Some people just can't stand the look of a tired old gun. Me being one of them. I had a beautifully refinished 20 gauge by Simmons. I would not have given it a second look had it not looked pristine...........even though it was obviously refinished.

#5 ·

Yep, what he said - plus..... many gun owners think refinishing will make their old beater as valuable as a original NIB example, or don't know/care about value (since there's no plan to sell it).

IMO, it makes sense to refinish a gun that's been ridden hard and put up wet - unless it's a very rare specimen (factory special features or provenance) of whatever.

#8 ·
It entirely depends on the grade of the gun. A decently refinished field grade will obviously be worth more than one that has no bluing left. I'll bet the market price of a decently refinished field grade would be more than 50% of a comparable condition gun with the original finish.

#9 ·
Also if it has a Simmons Stamped rib on it, the barrel at least has been refinished and quite possibly the receiver too. It all depends on the quality of the job. Art's gun shop can restore a Browning to like new factory finish. High end English guns are expected to be "re-blackened" at least once in a generation. I have no problem with a re-blueing if it's done correctly. Unfortunately some use the polishing wheel way too much.

#10 ·
casonet said:
Unfortunately some use the polishing wheel way too much.
So much this.

For a proper bluing job a polishing wheel shouldn't even come into the equation, it should really be done by hand. The line between a perfect job and "oh ****" is measured in seconds on a polishing wheel, and once you've gone too far making things right is basically impossible.

Anyone who doesn't want to take the time to hand polish, and doesn't have the proper skill to use power tools should just stick to beadblast and blue.

This was done to a kinda-sorta family heirloom A5 by somebody my uncle found. Rounded edges and most of the roll markings gone. They were even kind enough to reblue the trigger assembly with every pin, spring, and part intact, that was fun getting apart to make the gun quasi-functional.

#11 ·
Man, I love these old guns!

When I think of refinished Model 12s, I think of the many I have seen at gun shows and on Gunbroker where they have been very poorly polished. There is one on GB right now where the left side of the receiver is polished completely flat. On many others, the angles at the front of the receiver aren't right. On many others, you can see streaks or lines in the polishing. On a lot of refinished guns, the blue isn't the correct color, giving away that it has been hot blued instead of the original rust bluing. I have one old M12 that I love, but it looks like a previous owner soaked the receiver in cold blue. I've seen stocks with the wrong color that have obviously been refinished.

I can't help but see those things when I look at a Model 12. There are many other guys here who have collected them extensively and know a lot more about them than I ever will. Unfortunately, I know enough that refinished guns don't look right to me.

Then there are restored guns. These are guns carefully restored by skilled craftsmen, using the rust bluing process. A Model 12 properly restored by a skilled craftsman will hold a better value. Of course, with the cost of a restoration, it isn't always about increasing the value.

There are some seriously awful refinishing jobs on Model 12s out there. If you know enough to recognize the difference, why would you pay the price for a refinished gun when after a little more looking you can find an original? For some, it's the right answer. I just wouldn't be able to justify it.

If you don't notice those details, but you see a Model 12 with a gorgeous finish, then by all means, indulge yourself, shoot it, and enjoy it!

#12 ·
Walt Lister said:
Refinished guns may have had a hard life before they were refinished so a buyer should check for excessive headspace, wear at the bolt recess, trigger pull weight, worn extractors/ejectors etc. Same applies to a well worn original for that matter.
Good post. I will take to a local gunsmith to go thru it to be sure all is safe!

#13 ·
I sent my uncles 40's vintage model 12 28ga to Simmons in 74 to completely go thru it. New rib reblue and put a grade 4 model 12 dim. stock on it. I then had the whole set and when I shot my first tournament I shot a 65 with the 42 and the ref said young man have you thought about an auto or O/U? Went in the clubhouse and sold all but the 28.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.