ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Superposed Engraving
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:43 am 
Field Grade

I have a Browning Superposed Pigeon grade 1963 MFG. The question I have is the deep engraving and size of the pigeons does not match others I have seen. The engraving seems to be deeper than most other Pigeon grades I have seen and the Pigeons are larger and more detailed.

How do I tell if this was engraved by one of the famous Browning engravers ??? TNKS.

Miss 'n Out

Post subject: Re: Browning Superposed Engraving
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:50 am 
Crown Grade

Take a magnifying glass and go over the engraving very slowly. If engraved by a Browning engraver, the name will be very small. I have one engraved by Felix Funken and I did not know it until I owned it for several years and just happened to be inspecting the engraving, because it did not match pictures of other Brownings. Let us know what you find.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

pj, is it a 12 or 20 gauge? Since the 20 ga is a smaller frame the number of scrolls is less/smaller and so are the pigeons. A 12 ga will have 19-20 scrolls, a 20 gauge 15-17 or so. There should be NO deep engraving on the sides of a Pigeon, but the area surrounding the pivot of the opening lever will have deep oak leaves carved in, and the barrel ears/shoulders have Acanthus leaves... some are deeper than others.
It may or may not be signed...some Pigeons are, some not. Mine is not, even though it is absolutely above average engraving, specifically the shading on the pigeons. There are even documented cases of Diana grades not being signed because 2 or even 3 Master engravers worked on it, and they could not resolve who would sign it, so it was left (frustratingly) blank for a signature.
The differences in Graded Superposed engravings are what make them unique, all a work of art unto themselves.
Here is a pic of my 66 Pigeon for comparison to yours.
Cheers,
Scotty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I have a Browning Superposed Pigeon grade 12ga. that was left to me by my father. He passed away almost four years ago. Anyway, I would like to sell it. It was made in 1952 with serial #31xxx. The reason I am posting here is it has FUNKEN stamped on both sides of the receiver. Can you provide any advice on where I might be able to sell it and or what it might be worth. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:51 am 
Crown Grade

There is a for sale section on this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:29 am 
Utility Grade

I just picked up a 1972 Superposed Superlight 4 barrel skeet. Engraver shows M Rodson maybe. Ring a bell? Picture is too big, I’ll have to resize.

Thanks,
D.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:44 am 
Field Grade

ddivinia wrote:
I just picked up a 1972 Superposed Superlight 4 barrel skeet. Engraver shows M Rodson maybe. Ring a bell? Picture is too big, I’ll have to resize.

Thanks,
D.

Probably Mario Bodson - a well-known Browning engraver.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:51 am 
Field Grade

pjogrinc, you might contact the Browning historian to see if they have any record of the engraver. As well, you might contact Ron Reimer or Angelo Bee. As Browning master engravers, they’ve seen the work of so many Browning engravers that they can often recognize the style. Of course if it were done be a junior engraver who didn’t stay there long . . .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Tom Bryant wrote:
ddivinia wrote:

Thanks,
D.

Probably Mario Bodson - a well-known Browning engraver.

Excellent

Thanks,
D.