ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri May 07, 2021 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: J.P. Sauer & Sohn -61
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:18 am 
Utility Grade

Hey,

Just bought this gun mainly because I needed a light "traditional" shotgun for pheasant hunting. I decided to buy S&S since I've had some hunting experience with their shotguns and I like the design (fits me well). I got this gun with a great deal. I only paid 150€ for this (168$) gun and the previous owner told me that he knows that it's worth more. He has two and just wanted to find a 'good home' for the other one. The bores are in excellent condition. Shiny without any spots. Loading indicators, ejectors, triggers, and everything else works like a charm. No visible gaps and it has a feel of hardly ever used. A certain stifness like a new gun would have.

I know that this gun was manufactured in January 1961. That much info I found online about the markings. And of course that it was approved by Suhl, smokeless powder approved, made in East Germany. But what I don't know is the model and actual worth of the gun. I couldn't find any information about S&S models online so I hope that you guys could help me out:

What is this S&S model and how much is it possibly worth?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by MacLeary on Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: J.P. Sauer & Sohn -61
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:29 am 
Tournament Grade

Hello

https://www.cip-bobp.org/sites/default/files/2017-07/Allemagne_DE.pdf

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:54 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you, Peter! That's a helpful link.

Yet, it still doesn't answer to my question about the model and value estimate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:12 am 
Diamond Grade

Although it wears the J.P. Sauer & Sohn name atop the top rib, it wasn't made by Sauer but on the machines in Suhl. Sauer was escaped to the West and the mechanics in Suhl continued to use the Sauer trademark without approval.

Anyway, 4 Ring Steel - we have had several discussions on this and I guess we can agree to disagree. After WWII the Soviets took all the quality newer machines and left the Suhl mechanics to make reparation weapons on old machines. In fact, new machines sat on rails cars out in the rain & rusted. Then the Soviets carted them off, picking up the railroad track as they departed.

Anyway, the pre-WWII quality components were about extinguished by 1950 and there was a revolt by the Suhl craftsmen predicated on better base components; thus the 4 Ringe Steel.

Typically the Modell Nr. is on the aft lug. Looks like a Modell Nr. 8?

Ejectors, huh?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:14 am 
Crown Grade

On a side note: those are some excellent detailed pictures! Well done! What type of equipment do you use to take them?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:38 am 
Tournament Grade

That's a safe queen ! Enjoy it.

No visible wear on frame. Almost no dings on wood. Case color still vibrant.
Damn, your friend the previous owner did right by you. Wish I had some friends like that!

It's "worth" $900 to $1300 every day of the week. No it's not a pre-war Sauer but to someone that wants a traditional well made German sxs that is a fine example in what looks like great condition.
Just my opinion. I'll send you double what you paid for it this afternoon. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:58 am 
Tournament Grade

Hello

The link I inserted was to show the thing had it's origin in the DDR. I see now you've edited your first post.

I, too, believe it's a Model 8.

Also: I don't estimate value by looking at images but believe the shotgun will do what you put it to do. Where I live these kind of shotguns usually go for a 100 to 150 Euro, maybe a bit more if an ejector. I personally would value a 16 gauge slightly higher. I believe you did well.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:57 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you so much for your answers! It seems like it is the model 8.

As for the picture quality: I simply used my iPhone (Xs) and just opened up the curtains for some natural light. I just placed my phone quite close to the target and then tapped the screen for some crisp focus. I then uploaded the pictures to imageshack and used the "[img ] [ /img]" to paste the pictures. I read the instructions on how much details should be provided for easier identification of the weapon.

Once again, thank you for your help!

//MacLeary