ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri May 07, 2021 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 12 ga u/o Golden West Tours SF
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Trying to get some info on this U/O 12 ga trap gun that belonged to a friend that recently passed. No definitive markings on top of barrel. There is a stamping under the forearm that says ‘Golden West Tours SF’, but that’s all I can see. Pretty gun w/ silver engraved receiver & gold trigger. Missing mid-bead. Little blank brass plate inlaid in stock.
I did find a slight reference to it having Savage origins...dunno?
I’ll try and post a few pics in a bit... Thx!

pix :>)

Post subject: Re: 12 ga u/o Golden West Tours SF
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:40 pm 
Field Grade

Beautiful Gun; it looks like an SKB manufactured custom. I suggest you post your question over on the SKB forum. I have two SKB 600’s, and mechanically, they are identical to what yours looks like.

N. Fowler

Last edited by nfowler on Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:44 pm 
Crown Grade

nfowler wrote:
Beautiful Gun; it looks like an SKB manufactured custom. I suggest your post you question over on the SKB forum. I have two SKB 600’s, and mechanically, they are identical to what yours looks like.

N. Fowler

I agree, it's definitely an SKB gun.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Dont know if it means much but found a serial # on bottom of receiver & same # on forend?
CMxxxxx
I’ll poke around the SKB forum & see what they come up with...thx!

Rich

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Depending on when that gun was produced, and imported, you might be able to get some info from SKB.

https://skbshotguns.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:05 pm 
Crown Grade

RnB,

The profile and engraving I.D.'s it as an SKB Model 700. The side of the top barrel should be stamped "SKB Made in Japan" together with the model number. An importer's name and city should also appear on the barrel or frame. If an importer's name is not present, It may have been purchased overseas and brought into the States as a personal import.

The engraving on the subject gun is done by hand. My Model 700 Trap has the same engraving and is an Ithaca Gun Company import that I purchased new in 1968. Later versions had less costly chemically etched "engraving". Models 600 & 500 have less ornate frames. The Japanese made SKB's are well made with very strong actions employing a Kersten-type crossbolt locking mechanism. Markings on the side of the monobloc I.D. the chokes.

Following Ithaca's bankruptcy in 1978, Mitsui in Chicago and later, Roy Weatherby and Guns Unlimited/SKB USA in Omaha each represented SKB in the States. The factory in Japan closed in 2010. Guns Unlimited purchased the remaining inventory, production drawings and brand name. The current line of SKB shotguns is made in Turkey.

I find no reference to any SKB importation by Savage.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:01 am 
Utility Grade

More good info DF...Thx!!! 8)

Like I wrote in the SKB Forum ~ No markings/stampings whatsoever on top of barrels.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

I don't recall all the details but I owned an SKB that was imported by BSA ( not Birmingham small arms) located somewhere in Florida . And there was something different about the markings on that gun. I did find some reference in the "Blue book" at the time. Good Luck !