ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ferlach Hahndrilling
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi all.

Newb here. I went through the safety course and got my license specifically to be able to take possession of several rifles from a deceased relative oversees. I am now trying to learn more about them and their history. I'll start with the cream of the crop: this drilling.

Calibres (presumably metric): Barrel 1 = 7 x 57R; Barrels 2 and 3 = 16/65
Scope = Austrian-made Karl Kahles Helia S 6x42

I've managed to scrounge some info off the net but I only somewhat understand it:
http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Austrian-Proof-Marks.jpg
http://www.hallowellco.com/Ferlach%20gunmakers_code_numbers.htm

I guess my big questions are:
1) Who was the maker? (Does the 47 refer to Mr. Schaschl as per 2nd link above?)
2) When was it made? (Does 476.49 refer to the 476th gun from 1949?)
3) What might this rifle + scope be worth if I decide not to keep it for whatever reason?
4) Is there any other info that might be helpful that I neglected to post above?

Looking forward to any replies and insights.

Post subject: Re: Ferlach Hahndrilling
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

47.xxxxxx would denote effort by Lorenz Schaschl. We really need to see the full ensemble of marks. Yes, it was Nr. 476 thru the Ferlach proof facility in 1949.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Thx Raimey. Your comment suggests there may be more on (or in?) the rifle somewhere. The same three proof marks you see in my pics repeat themselves on each barrel. Another "476.49." on the smaller barrel is what you partially see in pic 4. I actually haven't been able to find a code in the xx.xxxx format.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:35 am 
Diamond Grade

Those 476.49 are all final pass stamps. There should be a preliminary datastring along the lower rib & a makers mark on each of the tubes, if visible. There also may be a maker's mark on the standing breech or buttplate. I doubt Schachl played any role but it is possible. Probably a drilling cobbled together from pre-WWII parts for a US serviceman or just to get some food money after the War.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:39 pm 
Limited Edition

Franconia Jagd was selling similar guns into the mid-80s as Germany’s largest arms/hunting store. They all carried premium prices like you would expect. I’ll check an old catalog when I get home.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:44 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the comments.

Here's a follow-up pic:

After discovering how to take the gun apart, I found these additional marks that I think answer the question as to maker and history.

(1) "26/152" suggests it is the 152nd rifle by maker 26 (Jakob Koschat)
(2) "476/49" (see earlier photos) suggests it is the 476th rifle proofed in 1949.
(3) "NPF" suggests a Ferlach proof mark.

Does that sound right?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:45 am 
Diamond Grade

Indeed, the 152nd weapon manufactured by Jakob Koschat after the Brits as an occupying force assigned the house numbers to the Ferlach mechanics. Has the rifle been deactivated? Forward on the rifle barrel looks odd. Could you pleasure us with a pic?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:10 am 
Utility Grade

Not deactivated as far as I know, though I don't know when it was last shot. I'll happily upload more pics, but I don't know what you mean by "forward on the barrel".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:32 am 
Diamond Grade

Looking @ this image left to right, just additional area to the right side of the image out towards the muzzle. It could be just an odd angle on the forend hanger.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse