ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help identify a W. Weinmann SxS Shotgun/Rifle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Attachment:
Resized_20191112_214201.jpeg
Not sure where begin, seeking help identifying a W. Weinmann SxS Shotgun/Rifle, I'm unable to find anything on the internet. I don't even know the Gauge or Caliber... on the shotgun barrel a 28 GA Shell is to big and a 32 GA Shell is to small, so I'm SMH... The rifle side I have made a casting hoping the local Gunsmith can help out.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Help identify a W. Weinmann SxS Shotgun/Rifle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hello

Wilhelm Weinmann, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Büchsenmachermeister But he did not manufacture the Büchsflinte, or so I believe.

Here's Rothenburg ob der Tauber https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rothenburg+ob+der+Tauber,+Tyskland/@49.3657932,10.0924695,9z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x47988efdf06dff37:0x41eda32beb5f5c0!8m2!3d49.3801834!4d10.1867388 I hope the link works.

Belgian proof mark. The thing looks older than the period Weinmann was active. Perhaps he took an old Büchsflinte and performed some repair or other. I could be wrong. Are there any other markings on it? Any name on the tubes/rib?

EDIT: Hasengasse (possibly Hafengasse) 5 in 1931. That's the only address I have for Weinmann.
EDIT again: there's a present day Hafengasse in Rothenburg ob der Tauber so let's settle for that name.

Kind regards
Peter

Last edited by älgmule on Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

Any other calibre marks on the Cape? It is one of the early Lefaucheux platforms adapted & amended by the Germans. The Austrians held with such a platform till circa WWI. W. Weinmann founded his concern & hung out his gunmaking shingle in 1909 and in 1934 held a celebration event for 25 years in business.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hello

I have the same time period. However, or possibly oddly enough, Wilhelm Weinmann is only listed in the commercial register for the year 1931. After that nothing. Even more strange, he is not listed in 1926 either.

Kind regards
Peter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:40 am 
Utility Grade

[quote="ellenbr"]Any other calibre marks on the Cape? It is one of the early Lefaucheux platforms adapted & amended by the Germans. The Austrians held with such a platform till circa WWI. W. Weinmann founded his concern & hung out his gunmaking shingle in 1909 and in 1934 held a celebration event for 25 years in business.

Cheers,

Raimey

I will have to look again to see if I can find any other marks or proof marks elsewhere on this gun, if so I will post them. I'm totally at a loss right now as to what this firearm even is.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:37 am 
Diamond Grade

It might be a 13mm or 14mm. I see additional marks & if you could chalk those & post am image, then the calibre might become apparent. Also, if you have a chamber cast, the dimensions will ferret out the demon cartridge.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:43 am 
Utility Grade

I will look to see what else that I can find stamped on this gun maybe inside on the hammer locks...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello, as far as I know, such shotguns are considered pretty rare. And you are very lucky to own one of these. Where do you hold it by the way? Unfortunately, I broke my safe some days ago, and I am desperately searching for a new one because I don't one my wifi or other people to have access to my guns. Actually, I saw a good safe on https://thesimplesurvival.com/best-rifle-safe-under-500/, but I didn't order it yet. Take a look, you will like it for sure.