ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Enders Special Service 16 gauge
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:59 am 
Utility Grade

About a month ago I picked up an Enders Special Service double barrel sxs hammerless 16 gauge shotgun at a local garage sale for $50. Here’s what I’ve gathered about it so far: Made by Crescent arms probably in the 1920s for Shapleigh Hardware, it seems like it has armory steel barrels, right barrel choked improved cylinder, left barrel choked modified, 2 3/4 chambers, 28 inch barrels, overall actually nice condition, shiny bores, very slight rust on the rib, excellent wood, tight action, generally in very happy with it (not planning on selling it). I am wondering if anyone could give me a slightly more exact date of manufacture(serial no s16123, and it has a 1 above the serial on the barrel latch), and I’d like to know opinions on shooting smokeless loads out of it, I’ve been shooting Remington sluggers with it and it hasn’t blown up yet but the powder in the shells that came with the gun burns differently than the powder in the modern shells. And of course any other info y’all might have would be appreciated too.

Post subject: Re: Enders Special Service 16 gauge
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

Wm. Enders Oak Leaf, Enders Royal Service, Royal Field, Royal Western, and Special Service for Simmons Hdw. and possibly Shapleigh Hdw. Co., St. Louis
(Enders Royal American was a Hopkins & Allen double; Enders Royal a Hunter Arms Co. Fulton tradename double)
Wm. Enders was Sales Manager in 1904, and Vice President of E.C. Simmons Hdw. in 1914

Previous Special Service thread
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 5&t=469952

If it does not have cocking indicators, it would be a Crescent Model 60 made about 1926

No one on the internet can tell you if the gun is safe to use, and it should be evaluated by a double gun spam before use.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 5&t=366087

As to the Armory Steel barrels, they should be viewed as of similar strength as other U.S. post-WWI maker's barrels.

The gun was most certainly NOT designed for Remington Sluggers. The 2 3/4" 16g 4/5 oz. load is 1600 fps. I'm amazed the 95 year old stock has not already cracked.
https://www.remington.com/ammunition/sh ... fled-slugs

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Directions Against Covetousness
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Kingsley Brown "Shoot more, shop less."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Awesome, lots of great info and I’m happy that I have a better idea of the manufacture year. I’ll limit the amount of slugs I put through it (it does kick a LOT with the slugs so yeah that’s probably not great). I’ve been putting mostly federal #6 birdshot through it, 1oz loads https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/federal ... cm_soc=AFF
It barely kicks with those and the shell opens fully so I’m betting those are fine for it? I did take it to two guys at a semi local gun shop but they weren’t much help (they said it was probably 1950s lol). I’ve been having fun with it and heck I might take it hunting this fall :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:35 am 
Crown Grade

Most 16 ga. shotguns ofnthat vintage were made with 2 1/2 or 2 9/16" chambers. (That's the open length of a fired shell.) I would suggest you have a gunsmith measure the chamber length to be sure. In addition, I would quit shooting slugs through it, as you could severely damage the soft solder joints holding the barrels together and in alignment.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

DoubleBarrelPaul,

BobK gives good advice, your 16 gauge gun is chambered for 2 1/2" shells, quit using the shells you have been shooting immediately, and order some RST low pressure 2 1/2" shells. Before using them have the gun inspected to make sure it is in proper working order. These old Crescent guns are nice field guns, they were made to hunt with, I own a Crescent 16 gauge Hammer Gun and a 12 gauge Hammerless. They shoot well and mine are still used today, to Grouse and Pheasant hunt, both are over 100 years old.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:25 pm 
Utility Grade

I have the same shotgun. 16 gauge double barrel Enders Special Service shotgun. It was my grandfathers (born in 1895). He gave it to me before he passed away in 1968. I've never shot it. Good to get some info on it. Thanks