ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Belgian Browning Auto 5 Proofing
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:39 am 
Utility Grade

Hi All! I am about to buy a Belgian FN Browning Auto 5. However, I just want to make sure it is indeed a Belgian FN Browning Auto 5. Its serial number starts with small font 71 then 36xxx. So in total 7 digits starting with the small 71. I assume the manufacture year is 71. From my research I found that in some time frame Browning used small font year numbers followed by letters than the serial number. However mine has no letters. But I also assume this can be a difference for the auto 5s meant for European market. Also I have FN markings inside a circle above the SN.

Another point is that on the receiver the gun has no markings apart from the SN. No Browning no Fabrique National nothing. And I am sure its not a Savage nor a Remmy as it has the mag cut off feature. So I am a little worried about not seeing any Browning logo/writing on the receiver. This can also be some European difference, I dont know.
However the gun has the Fabrique National stamp and proofmarks on the barrel. Also It has the FN (Browning Automatic) buttpad.

I just want the purchase to be a valid one for my conscious. Cause I really liked the gun and already felt attached to it.

Any info is much appreciated. Thank you all very much.

Post subject: Re: Belgian Browning Auto 5 Proofing
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:42 am 
Crown Grade

According to the Browning Auto 5 Shotguns, The Belgian FN Production, your shotgun was made for non US distribution. 71 was 1971 production although the serial number is in the 1972 serial number range which is not unusual for these guns. Guns made for US distribution had a letter after the year to indicate the model.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:18 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for the answer. I really appreciate that Sir. How about the receiver? Is that normal for a non US distributed Auto 5 having no Browning or no FN writings on it? Have you ever encountered a blank receiver (apart from the SN)? or is that normal for European market distribution?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:24 am 
Crown Grade

I'll have leave those answers to more knowledgeable posters. My guess is that it is normal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:32 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you very much Sir.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes that is normal.