ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iver Johnson Special Trap general value?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:45 pm 
Field Grade

Hello all

I just got a 1920's Iver Johnson S/N T86xx, and wanted to get a rough idea of the value?

I was planning on doing as much to it my self to get it in nice restored condition ( nothing destructive. Just refinish and repair a crack in the wood, and tighten up the lockup, tighten up the forearm.)

I was going to use this as my learning tool. but some googling made me think that is "May" be more valuable then I thought.

I got it for 200$ and I figured it couldn't be worth more then 600$ in the best case scenario. If that was the case it seemed a great gun to learn how to restore classic guns with. But I still cant really find any definitive info online, and the hints I did see was it is kind of a rare model, And that some fancy auction houses may have had them for sale in the higher price range.

Can anyone assist me with this please?

Post subject: Re: Iver Johnson Special Trap general value?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Based on what I can see, slight rust and what appears to be a recoil pad out of alignment, I'd value this at 250-300 dollars.

Post subject: Re: Iver Johnson Special Trap general value?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:37 pm 
Crown Grade

$300.- might be a bit high given its condition.

I would expect a V. G. example with 90% original wood and metal finish to be in the $400.- range and one in excellent (98%) condition to be in the $600.- range.

Either way, its a nice gun with some history. Given its current condition, I would first tighten up the action and then consider repairing and cleaning up the wood and maybe refinishing it and cleaning up any light rust.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi