ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SxS Shotgun that says Chas Shelley on the breech
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, I inherited a vintage shotgun. The name Chas Shelley on each side of the breech. Was told it was a 16 gauge. Barrell says London Fine Damascus It has the letters EB on the inside of the forearm. Can anyone tell me anything about it. I couldn't find anything on line re Chas Shelley. Appreciate any info. I am assuming my father bought it in the 1970's from a vintage gun dealer. I attached a picture of the marking inside the breech and the breech itself as well as a little bit of the lettering on the barrel. The butt of the shotgun has a picture of an anchor and the face of a dog with a bird in its mouth. Thank you

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by atkinskc on Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: SxS Shotgun that says Chas Shelley on the breech
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:51 am 
Diamond Grade

18, depending on DOM, would be a bore of about .637" or a tight 16g.
We need a full size image of every mark on the barrel flats to help date the gun.
I have no information on a Chas. Shelley gun maker and the gun may have been tradenamed for a local dealer.

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Directions Against Covetousness
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Kingsley Brown "Shoot more, shop less."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:01 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you Drew. Are you saying the 18 on the flats means its an 18 gauge? Not sure what you mean by DOM. I attached a couple of new pictures to the original post and one here. I couldnt get the entire flat due to the size. There are four of the same markings (2 on each barrel) on the flats which looks like crossed axes with maybe a crown to the left. The other picture shows some markings where the forearm attaches to the barrels. Thank you again....Ken

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:41 am 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

"DOM" = date of manufacture

The crossed weapons with a crown above is a legally-required proofmark indicative of the Birmingham (England) proof house, used 1868-1925.

A Charles Shelley was a British military man from around 1900 (+/-), so the gun might have had his name applied when he either bought or commissioned the gun.

If you dismount the barrels, there should be identifying marks (more proof marks, date marks and maybe a maker's mark) located on several different surfaces.

Investigate & photograph the action water table flats, the barrel's underside flats, the underside of the barrels and on the top of the rib.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

Found a Chas. Shelley "Marine Store Dealer" in London, 1891
https://books.google.com/books?id=u307A ... PA1336&lpg

"Marine Store Dealer, was originally the proprietor of a store selling equipment to Mariners, perhaps components of old ships such as sails, cordage, ironwork, and other provisions found on a ship."
Possibly also supplied guns for business travelers overseas?

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Directions Against Covetousness
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Kingsley Brown "Shoot more, shop less."