ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 1100 Special field 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:09 am 
Tournament Grade

Hi
I have a Remington 1100 Special field 20 Gauge that I am looking at and thinking about buying

The gun has a fixed improved choke 21 inch and is 2 3/4 with plain receiver and no engraving or scroll

Made in Mid eighties I think.

It has a Straight buttstock

The Buttstock will have to be replaced as It has a big ship on the toe of the stock

No major scratches or loss of bluing

What is a ballpark figure for what it is worth and where could I find a stock to fit it ?and about how Much to replace stock?

I need this information as soon as possible please

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Remington 1100 Special field 20 Gauge
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:34 am 
Crown Grade

Is that a improved cylinder or improved modified choke? There are several places on the internet to buy replacement wood or synthetic stocks. You can do your own research for what is acceptable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:28 pm 
Crown Grade

The 1st gen Remington 1100 Special Field were all issued with an IC fixed choke & 21" bbl. (2nd gens had 23" choke tubed bbls)

The straight/English 20ga Special Field buttstocks are made of unobtainium, and any old Remington 1100 stock will not fit, unless the stock is meant for a 20ga M1100 LW (lightweight/smaller receiver)

If the gun can be had for a reasonable price, you ( or a professional stockworker) can fix the chip out w/o a whole lot of trouble, if you have the wood piece that chipped out.

If the chip has gone walkabout, some walnut that closely matches the stock wood would needs be grafted in.

In both cases, the factory finish would need to be removed & the stock refinished.

The 20ga Special Field I had was my favorite bird gun, until my state closed Grouse season permanently.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

albanygun wrote:
Is that a improved cylinder or improved modified choke? There are several places on the internet to buy replacement wood or synthetic stocks. You can do your own research for what is acceptable.

The guy that has the gun told me that it is Improved Cylinder

I called myself doing my own research when I asked the Questions here as there seems to be a lot of knowledge on this forum about Guns in General and Shotguns in Particular.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

CriscoKid wrote:
The 1st gen Remington 1100 Special Field were all issued with an IC fixed choke & 21" bbl. (2nd gens had 23" choke tubed bbls)

The straight/English 20ga Special Field buttstocks are made of unobtainium, and any old Remington 1100 stock will not fit, unless the stock is meant for a 20ga M1100 LW (lightweight/smaller receiver)

If the gun can be had for a reasonable price, you ( or a professional stockworker) can fix the chip out w/o a whole lot of trouble, if you have the wood piece that chipped out.

If the chip has gone walkabout, some walnut that closely matches the stock wood would needs be grafted in.

In both cases, the factory finish would need to be removed & the stock refinished.

Thanks for your input,I appreciate it

You are right about the unobtanium as I have done quite a few searches before asking the questions here.

I don't know if I can get it for a reasonable price or not as he seems to want to point to gunbroker prices and wants about $900.00 for it and I think that is ridiculous !

I was just trying to figure out what would be a good price for it with the Broken stock before I made him any kind or counter offer.

I was thinking about maybe $450.00 as it is with the broken stock

The 20ga Special Field I had was my favorite bird gun, until my state closed Grouse season permanently.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:33 pm 
Crown Grade

While YMMV, IMO $900 for a perfect M-1100SF is walk-away money, nevermind one with an issue like that.

If the stock is repairable, the $450 you're thinking is OTOH reasonable, also IMO.

My opinion, BTW, is worth every cent you paid for it. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would strongly advise that you shoot it before you buy it and make darn sure that you like that short barrel. I have one and I could never be effective with that tube. I ordered a 26” replacement and it made a world of difference. I still have the 21” barrel, but it just sits in the safe

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

casonet wrote:
I would strongly advise that you shoot it before you buy it and make darn sure that you like that short barrel. I have one and I could never be effective with that tube. I ordered a 26” replacement and it made a world of difference. I still have the 21” barrel, but it just sits in the safe

Makes sense but the Main reason I am interested in the short barrel is a home defense shotgun.

Send me a Pm if you want to sell the sit in the safe 21 inch barrel.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:43 am 
Diamond Grade

Buy a HD gun if that’s what you want. Those special fields are fantastic hunting guns.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

chairman wrote:
Buy a HD gun if that’s what you want. Those special fields are fantastic hunting guns.

Just because it does not have HD stamped on the reciever or Tactical stamped on it does not mean that it is not an excellent HD gun as well.

A lightweight compact Semi Automatic 20 Gauge with Buckshot Makes for a great HD weapon ..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

No kidding really

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

You may want to consider a pump for home defense. Less likely to jam it have a failure to feed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Colt99 wrote:
You may want to consider a pump for home defense. Less likely to jam it have a failure to feed.

Not necessarily
I am 60 years old and Have seen Many Pumps Jam

In some case it was ammo related but most often operator error,but operator error can happen in a Defense scenario just as easily(perhaps even more)in a defensive scenario.

And a Gun in the Home should be able to be operated efficiently by an adult.
My wife is unable to operate a pump(in my case a Mossberg 88 security with 00 Buckshot) efficiently because of her size and arm Length.

Also there is the recoil factor.
There will be less recoil with a 20 Gauge Semi Automatic than a Pump 12 Gauge Generally speaking.

Therefore the case for the semi automatic

Rest assured I think things through clearly and there is a method to my madness !!

Thanks for your input though

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’ve seen more shooters “short shuck” a pump gun and tie it up than I’ve seen semi autos malfunction: lots more!

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith