ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pigeon Model 12
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am being offered a Pigeon grade Winchester Model 12 With #5 engraving by Nick Kismut authenticated by Pauline Muerrel. (Hand written letter from her identifying the gun.) 1912 gun based on the serial number. 30” barreled trap gun with full choke. B carving on nice wood. Not a super pigeon. Reportedly VERY few rounds through the gun. I am told the gun did not originally leave the factory with Kismut engraving but was returned at a later date. That would mean it has been reblued albeit by Winchester.

Estimation of value please (?).

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Pigeon Model 12
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

For those interested this gun was purchased for $4,000. It is pristine with fewer than 100 shells through it. Bluing and wood 99++++%. Serial number put the gun made in the 1930’s. Letter from Pauline attesting to factory engraving included.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, it would be reblued. Guns returned for upgrades tend to have less appeal that those that left the factory as an original engraved model. Who did the stock work? Nobody can say whether you got a bargain or paid too much. If you are comfortable with your purchase, it shouldn’t matter. If you put the gun up for auction then you would have some idea of the market value. In the mean time, enjoy owning it.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

I didn’t purchase it. The gun was pristine and would really need to be a safe queen. I shoot every gun I own so it was less appealing to me. A friend of mine bought it. He showed me the gun after he purchased it.