ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help Identifying an Italian O/U
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi!

I need some help IDing an Italian O/U. If it's not much of anything I'd like to turn it into a bit of a custom project, but I know I will mess it up, so if it is of any value or importance id like to know before I start!

http://imgur.com/a/ba4ZlkY

Here's what I know so far:

As you can see from the pics, it was made my Bruno Castellani. I've found a lot of tidbits about this maker, but nothing definitive.

The proofing marks indicate it's from Gardone/Brecia post 1951.

There is a stamp of an ornate "CB" you should be able to faintly see in the picks that I cannot identify. It's definitely not the same "CB" as in the date stamps.

I couldn't get my camera to focus well on the barrel, but it indicates it used Breda B4 steel, which I gather was common.

The other side of the barrel say "acciaio compresso extra speciale," which I can't find any info about.

Anyone known what I have?

It's got beautiful engraving, and as I said, id like to try some aethetic customizations to the stock, unless it's a valuable specimen!

Thanks for any info!

Post subject: Re: Help Identifying an Italian O/U
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:20 am 
Crown Grade

The ornate "CB" is one of three different maker's marks that Bruno Castellani registered with the Gardone VT Proof House. A date code consisting of Roman Numerals will be stamped on the monobloc. Is an importer's name and city stamped on the barrels or frame? If you post clear, close-up photos of the proof marks, we can determine the proof pressure of your gun.

There are four Castellani firms registered with the Gardone Proof House, Adria, Bruno, Emilio and Fabio. There is no mention as to which, if any, of these firms is still active.

FWIW, your gun employs the typical "Brescia" action of the 1960's and 70's wherein the the barrels pivot on trunnions and are locked to the frame by means of dual Purdey extensions that nest into slots in the standing breech and secured by a flat tapered crossbolt. This type of action was shared by entry level imports produced by Angelo Zoli, Antonio Zoli and Guerini-Pintossi amongst others.

Similar Italian over/unders of that time period having double triggers and extractors were priced in the $175.- to $200.- range. By contrast, Charles Daly/Miroku O/U's were priced in the $250.- to $300.- range. I have found no mention of any Castellani guns in the published used gun current value guides.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:49 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks!!

I'm will try to get better photos today and will put them up.

But bottom line, it sounds like this was an entry level gun that it wouldn't be a tragedy for me to tinker with? I'd like to try my hand at some refinishing and inlaying.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:34 am 
Utility Grade

http://imgur.com/a/MnRTg5e

Here are some (hopefully) better photos with some notes.

Sorry they are potato. I cannot camera. If there's something specific you'd like to see I can try again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Your assessment that the gun is an entry level field model is correct. The presence of sling swivels (if factory original) indicate that it may have been built for the European market. If no importer's name and city appears on the gun, it may have been a personal import by returning military personnel or expat.

Thanks for the photos:

1.) The shield with crossed rifles,bayonets/anvil and hammer under a star within a cogged
wheel is the mark of the Gardone VT Proof House and is stamped on all types of
firearms.
2.) The Letters "PSF" under the star/cogged wheel is the mark for normal proof pressure
of 1.020 bar - 1,080 bar (14,793 psi - 15,664 psi) for a 12/70 (12 gauge 2-3/4"
chamber) gun.
3.) The Roman numeral "XX" = 1964 DOM.
4.) The "Finito" under the star/wheel indicates final inspection of a complete gun ready for
sale.
5.) Acciaio compresso extra speciale = extra special compressed steel, ie: Breda type B4.

The barrels may also be stamped with the bore diameter in millimeters. The chokes may be marked with stars or a millimeter dimension.

I suggest that you post the photos of the frame and sideplates on the SGW Gunsmithing & Restoration forum. There are some knowledgeable folks there that may be able to help you clean up the metal.

Post some before and after pix on the G&R forum when you're done.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Definitely!

I'm going to practice my inlaying technique on some blanks, but I have an idea of what I'd aethetically like to do. I'd like to use this as my kickaround squirrel plunker, but I'd also like to make it pretty :)

I figure since it's not anything special, but it does have really pretty engraving, I may as well clean it up, do some fun aethetic upgrades to the stock, and wind up with a cool looking field gun.

I'll certainly post progress pics of the beautification progress.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:33 am 
Utility Grade

Nice shotgun with the exception of the stamping style-on the metal, the double triggers and the checkering style it appears to be identical to my Antonio Zoli