ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning A5 20 Gauge Belgian Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello everybody! I recently stumbled upon this barrel in a neighbor's home, and she let me take it along with some other gun parts and equipment.

I know that it is a Browning A5 barrel, but I am hoping you guys could tell me a little more about it. I love the history on old guns. The most I can tell from the Belgian Shotgun Identification topic is that it is 70mm long, it is an export firearm, and my best guess at the date of manufacture is 1959, but I am possibly wrong.
It also has the La Perron mark, the provisional proof mark, and another symbol that looks sort of like a diamond ring, along with a couple others. I will attach photos.

I love it as an old gun barrel, but I have no use for it. I intend to sell it, I just wanted to ask the experts on here before I offload an awesome piece of history. Along with that, of course I am wondering what the value is. My educated guess is somewhere around $300.
I am also curious about what info I should include in a listing? What do people look for?

P.S. I can not figure out how to attach my photos, so any help with that would be great.

Post subject: Re: Browning A5 20 Gauge Belgian Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:14 am 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

"70mm" indicates the barrel is chambered for the modern (normal/every day) 2-3/4" long (fired) shell.

The proofmarks sound like normal Belgian proofmarks.

The presence or absence of a ventilated rib would affect the value, as would "condition" as compared to new. (the remaining % of original factory bluing, scratches, dents, rust, etc)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:44 am 
Crown Grade

The most common reason for buying another barrel is to change chokes. There should be one or more asterisks, possibly accompanied by a dash or (rarely) a dollar sign, identifying the choke.

It’s explained here:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 53&t=15122

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Okay, sorry that I haven't figured out pictures yet. By what you said, it is a modified choke. It is also a Matt Rib barrel? Is that the right way to say it? There are also several small dings and scratches, no dents or pitting though. It seems like there are some streaks of some sort in the bore, though the bore is still shiny.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:28 pm 
Crown Grade

The mat rib is no rib, just cross hatching to reduce glare.

Pictures are a PITA. Open a free Imgur account, upload the photos, copy the link and paste between the brackets. What brackets? Go to Full Editor, hit the Img button, and you’ll get them.