ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ID help: Black powder SxS heirloom (lots of photos)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:23 am 
Field Grade

This is a shotgun that has been in my family since circa 1835-1840. Our roots are in WV, specifically what would have been western VA in that timeframe.

Has anyone seen a similar shotgun? Just looking for any pointers to what the origins of this one are in order to work up some history to go along with it.

This was handed down to me earlier this year, and I will hand it down to my son eventually.

Don't worry, I do have the other hammer. And some plans for very light restoration to remove the tape, loose bands, etc.

The barrels have a distinct brass/bronze appearance. I tried to capture that in a couple of the photos.

Other than the simple engraving, I do not see any other marks on the gun.

That's it for the photos. Thanks for any info you may have!

Post subject: Re: ID help: Black powder SxS heirloom (lots of photos)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:27 am 
Crown Grade

I bet that old gun could tell some very interesting tales!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:46 am 
Crown Grade

The only value it has is as a family heirloom. If one can't see a name on the rib or either of the lockplates, the only other thing to do would be to disassemble the gun and look for proof-marks on the bottom of the barrels. I wouldn't do that. Best to hang it on the wall and imagine the times it has seen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:30 pm 
Field Grade

I agree completely. Only wondering about where it came from and how it may have ended up in the family. Definitely do not want to disassemble and risk any problems with that.

Would love to hear all the tales! I can't even begin to imagine how much small game was taken with this shotgun!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Given it's a capgun, it was most likely made sometime between the invention of the percussion cap in the 1820's and the introduction of the removeable primer in the early 1870's.

The barrels look like a twist/Damascus construct.

I would opine that it came from Europe (Belgium ? ) as an "economy" model; since the major American makers clearly marked their work. (Many American makers imported the barrels to make their versions.

Some small American makers/gunsmiths bought imported barrels & locks to assemble onto a stock, not bothering to mark their work, except maybe on the inside of the lockplate(s).

The engraved design on the top tang may offer a clue as to origins.

BTW - my opinion's worth exactly what you paid for it...….. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:12 pm 
Field Grade

Hey, now I have a bit more info to use as a starting point for further research. I realize I may never know the full history, but even some hints are fun! Therefore, I got a good deal on that opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:20 am 
Crown Grade

Coo, how interesting.

Does anyone agree that the way the barrels sit in the action looks a bit odd and contrived? It might be a rustic rebarrelling job, or even a conversion of some sort.

I couldn't resist the temptation of taking it down!