ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca Model 87 Deerslayer Value
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:58 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Model 87 Featherweight Deerslayer with non-removable fully rifled barrel. According to the serial number, it was manufactured in 1988. It is a 12 gauge using 2 3/4 to 3 inch shells. I have no use for it anymore so, I am looking to either trade it in or sell it to a store. I have looked online for a value in Blue Book and and Gun Digest but, cannot find it in either. Both say that my model was not manufactured until 1989. The serial number says otherwise. Any help would be appreciated.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Ithaca Model 87 Deerslayer Value
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

The value is driven by the present condition, expressed as the remaining amount of factory-original finish on the wood & metal parts, as compared to new, and the absence of any modifications after it left the factory

Your Model 87 Deerslayer w/rifled bbl is in the latest BBGV (Blue Book of Gun Value)
as:

$185 in 60% condition
$200 in 70% condition
$215 in 80% condition
$235 in 90% condition
$280 in 95% condition
$320 in 98% condition
$385 in 100% condition (with box/papers)

The listed "values", however, are not the true values - which is how much somebody will pay for it today/recently.

IME, the best way to obtain the true value would be to place it for sale where the maximum number of interested buyers will see it (i.e.., not in a local gun shop).

As for selling to a dealer, keep in mind that they are not charities, and will typically offer half it's book value - if they perceive they have a market for it.

The best venue for getting the best return on investment IMO would be to list it in one of the online guns-only auction websites.

Last edited by CriscoKid on Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:29 pm 
Utility Grade

The only bluing damage is what you can see in the barrel picture. The mag tube has “scrape” damage from slide usage. No damage to the stock or forend. The only mod was to mount a scope but, I’m not sure that is considered a mod.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:34 pm 
Crown Grade

IMO (worth exactly what you paid for it), it appears to be in 95%-98% condition.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:58 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for your help.