ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I just inherited my Grandfather's old 16 gauge - Please Help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello all.

I've recently inherited my grandfather's old guns. One is a Winchester model 67, and the other is an old 16 gauge shotgun.

I'll try to get some pics up eventually, but can't right now.

Based on my research here and elsewhere, I am almost 100% positive the shotgun is a Crescent made "Perfection" model, made for the HG Lipscomb company in Nashville, TN.

The top of the barrel is stamped with "Genuine Armory Steel" and you can faintly make out the word "Perfection" stamped on the side. There is also a "16" stamped near the single hammer along with a diamond shape with what I think is the letter G inside it, obviously indicating a 16 gauge.

There is a serial number stamped on the bottom side of the barrel at the breech reading "302734."

Also of note/question is that the trigger guard looks to be made of hammered copper or brass. I assume this could have been a replacement at some point?

Overall the gun is in pretty rough shape. The breech opens about 1/32 of an inch or "jiggles" when the action is closed (it can be wobbled back and forth with a little "loose" feel.) It also looks like there was a bead sight on the end of the barrel at some point which has fallen out and left a small hole.

Exterior pitting of the metal parts seems pretty minimal, but I see some questionable rough patches on the inside of the barrel after cleaning/oiling. The barrel itself does seem pretty thin walled.

Also of note, the trigger has the shortest pull I've ever seen. You barely touch it and it fires.

The stock and forestock/forend wood is pretty beat up. I don't know that sanding/refinishing could save it. It also has a nice winding of electrical tape at the grip. :)

Long story short, I am looking for info about the date this gun might have been made, as well as any kind of value associated with it. I never intend to sell it, and I'm really just interested out of curiosity/internal debate as to how far to go to restore it, or if I should put it on the mantle as is.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: I just inherited my Grandfather's old 16 gauge - Please
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sorry to hear about your grandfather but welcome to Shotgun World.
You’re in the right place to get info. The pictures will help but you’ve probably got a good wall hanger.

Good luck with your investigating.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

Lots of information here included an estimated DOM
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 5&t=308330

Gently clean the exterior surfaces and place the gun over the mantle. As your grandfather's gun it is of course priceless, but it has no practical value and is unsafe.

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Directions Against Covetousness
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Kingsley Brown "Shoot more, shop less."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:29 pm 
Utility Grade

EricB wrote:
Sorry to hear about your grandfather but welcome to Shotgun World.
You’re in the right place to get info. The pictures will help but you’ve probably got a good wall hanger.

Good luck with your investigating.

Thanks very much! It is an old wound, as he passed in early 2019 at the ripe old age of 102! I'm assuming he had that shotgun for most of his life. It was only recently given to me by my mother, as I guess I'm the "gun guy" in the family and she'd kind of been holding onto them for a while anyway, even when he was still alive.

Drew Hause wrote:
Lots of information here included an estimated DOM
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 5&t=308330

Gently clean the exterior surfaces and place the gun over the mantle. As your grandfather's gun it is of course priceless, but it has no practical value and is unsafe.

Thanks for your reply! I had looked through that thread before I posted this one, hoping to narrow down a date. I am probably missing the estimated DOM part, but I am assuming it is based on the stamped serial number? I figured it would depend on when the "Perfection" model was made for that company in Tennessee, and I couldn't find the specific info on that. Blind horse, water, you know the deal...

I really don't feel the gun is safe, as is, but thought I might try to remake the stock/forestock down the road, and maybe tinker with disassembling and giving it a really good cleaning/fixing. But then again, that would be destroying the wear/memories it has ground into it. It'll probably go on the wall at some point.

Thanks again, and if you (or anyone else) could point me towards a more specific dating if this model/number, I would appreciate it.

I'll try to get some pictures up tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:23 pm 
Field Grade

this site may help https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ub ... ber=373937

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:22 pm 
Utility Grade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

I don’t think you’d hurt the memory of your grandpa by sourcing a used stock and fore end. You could keep it looking original and forego the electrician’s tape. Fun thing to have though. I’ve got a watch that my grandpa owned. Only right twice a day now but I can still see him checking it when we were waiting for legal shooting hours.