ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hoping to confirm identity of gun maker and engraver
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:47 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently acquired a nice side-by-side SLE that is marked MRA Salvinelli from Gardone VT. The engraving is signed F. Poli. It carries the date stamp of AH (1981). It has the typical Gardone Proof House markings. I understand Giovanni Salvinelli and Enrico Salvinelli both used the 5-pointed star as their maker’s mark, although E. Salvinelli typically included other distinguishing features. One interesting feature that I have picked up on from studying various guns is that this “Salvinelli” has a distinct way of engraving the “V” with an underscore. I haven’t seen any E. Salvinelli guns that appear to be anywhere near as nice as this one (although, admittedly, they may be out there hiding in someone’s man cave).

I greatly appreciate any tidbits of information that one might have to share regarding this gun. Any sense for which Salvinelli might have been motivated to produce a high end gun in 1981 or who might have imported it into the States?

Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Hoping to confirm identity of gun maker and engraver
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:12 am 
Crown Grade

In addition to Enrico Salvinelli and Giovanni Salvinelli, the firm of Mario Salvinelli & F.llo also employed a 5 pointed Star as a maker's mark. Enrico's Star was frequently accompanied by a three line mark consisting of the name E. Salvinelli on the top line, the 2nd line had "X Armi X" and the bottom line was "Gardone VT". Giovanni used the Star as a stand-alone maker's mark. Mario's usage of the Star may be found with the stylized letters "MS" creating a circular shape alongside the Star.

There is, of course, also Remo Salvinelli who became a partner of Abbiatico & Salvinelli (aka: A&S) The firm of Salvinelli & Tanfoglio did not use a Star as a maker's mark.

It would appear that your gun was built by Giovanni Salvinelli but, the letters MRA before the Salvinelli name on the barrels, barrel flats and watertable is a bit of a puzzle. If you're located Stateside the lack of an importer's name and city would indicate that the gun was a personal import.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

Post subject: Re: Hoping to confirm identity of gun maker and engraver
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:39 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for the post. I have also come to the conclusion that the gun is a bit of an enigma. The craftsmanship, fit and finish and engraving are top notch. It presents as a “Best Gun”; most likely bespoke. Have you seen any documented history about Giovanni, F. Poli (engraver) or Giovanni’s relationship to Enrico or any of the other Salvinellis?

Thanks again!

Brett
Michigan’s Upper Peninsula