All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I herited Browning 16 gauge and Mossberg 12guage
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello,
New to shotgun world recently inherited 2 shotguns
1) 16 gauge Browning
2) Mossberg 12 gauge “Ducks Unlimited”
Wondering year of both and any value. Would also like to know any history behind these guns.
BROWNING
Browning has no gold “sweet sixteen” trigger, just regular black trigger
No “SWEET SIXTEEN” engraved
SN on LEFT side of gun A16430
BROWNING ARMS COMPANY St.LOUIS MO on TOP of barrel
SPECIAL STEEL-16 GAUGE-SHELLS 2 3/4” on left side of barrel
)( TIA (that is what stamp or mark looks like) the mark is at right side base of barrel
L o8o (that is what stamp or mark looks like) the mark is at left side base of barrel
Has a choke (not sure if it was added by my uncle)
POLY CHOKE CO. HARTFORD CONN-PATENTED

MOSSBERG
on left side DUCKS UNLIMITED and SN 183162
on right side it is bare
on left side of barrel 12 gauge and numerous other printing concerning chamber size
on right side is WARNING information

Post subject: Re: I herited Browning 16 gauge and Mossberg 12guage
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:38 am 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

FWIW, your "Browning" isn't a Browning - It's a Remington Model 11 altered with Browning's blessing to apply Browning markings during WWII (1940-47), when the Germans occupied Browning's Belgian factory.

Remington made some 16,000 16ga's, so the SN indicates it was made in 1947, shortly before Browning resumed production.

"Condition", as compared to new, drives the value - with minuses for wear, rust, cracks, alterations, etc.

The current Blue Book of Gun Value numbers run from $350 in 60% condition to $695 in 100% condition (with box/papers).

The DU Mossberg is valued similarly to standard Mossberg 500's, with less values to a buyer that doesn't care for the bling, and a little more to a bling fan.

The BBGV shows that no Mossberg 500's value is more than $350 (w/o an extra deer barrel).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Crown Grade for such a quick response it has very slight patches of surface rust, it was used not collected by my uncle (we went thru ww2) same with the Mossberg “Ducks Unlimited”, there are “chips” gone of wood on the stock (probably from setting down roughly, or falling). I know on collectibles of any kind a patina is desirable and normally shouldn’t be removed, what about those rust spots (most smaller than a pencil eraser head)?
Thanks in Advance
Eric

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

tefloncat wrote:
Thanks Crown Grade for such a quick response it has very slight patches of surface rust, it was used not collected by my uncle (we went thru ww2) same with the Mossberg “Ducks Unlimited”, there are “chips” gone of wood on the stock (probably from setting down roughly, or falling). I know on collectibles of any kind a patina is desirable and normally shouldn’t be removed, what about those rust spots (most smaller than a pencil eraser head)?
Thanks in Advance
Eric

You do not have collector guns. Refurbish as it suits you.