ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fox Sterlingworth 20 ??
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:20 am 
Utility Grade

Hi, new around here and was hoping to get some help identifying this shotgun that my father gave me. I have done some research but thought someone here would be more knowledgeable and help me out. The finish doesn’t look like any of the other guns that I see posted which leads me to believe that someone had it redone. The gun is very loose and I want to make sure it’s worth the effort/money to fix it up. Thanks in advance for any help. Ronnie

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Fox Sterlingworth 20 ??
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:36 am 
Diamond Grade

Your c. 1923 Sterlingworth appears to have been Parkerized, and possibly restocked.
Please be aware that the original chambers were 2 1/2" and may have been lengthened at some point. Done wrong, the end of the chamber wall thickness could be dangerously thin.
It has no collector value, but after check, clean and repair by a qualified double gun smith, it would make a fine rainy day bird gun.

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Directions Against Covetousness
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Kingsley Brown "Shoot more, shop less."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:18 am 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

If it's as loose as you say, most gunsmiths will have no clue as to how to properly repair it (although they might try to fake it) - why it should be evaluated/repaired by a gunsmith familiar with repairing SxS shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:15 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the information, I was wondering about that stock also.... the wood is nice and doesn’t look any others I have seen pictures of and the limbsaver pad .......

Well I am a little bummed out that it’s basically just an old beater with some lipstick but I am happy that my father gave it to me because I now have a very real interest in older doubles! I recently picked up an LC Smith from a local gun show and love it!

Can someone recommend a good gunsmith to have these older guns checked for safety and possible repair work? I live in south Texas if that helps. Thanks again for the info, Ronnie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

Larry Feland is outside Houston
281- 373-0335
http://felandgunsmith.com/

Phillip Crenwelge is in Emory
http://www.phillips-gunsmithing.com/index.html
210-313-5988

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Directions Against Covetousness
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Kingsley Brown "Shoot more, shop less."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you!