ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri May 07, 2021 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington Model 11 The Sportsman 12ga 3 bird roll stamped
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:51 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm new to this forum. I inherited this old Remington Model 11 The Sportsman from my grandma several years ago. I've done a bit of research on it and it appears that it's hard to find these with the 3 Bird roll stamped receiver. This one dates to 1935 (ED on barrel). Serial number puts it at an early production of the 12ga in this model. Modified choke. It is in very good condition - bright, great bluing, beautiful furniture. I'm interested if anyone has an opinion on the value.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Remington Model 11 The Sportsman 12ga 3 bird roll stampe
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

Your very question was answered here:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 5&t=172192

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:29 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the welcome and the link. I’m more curious as to the potential value of the gun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:46 pm 
Crown Grade

It is The Sportsman, a three-shot gun. The Model 11 was a five-shot gun.

The Remington Sportsman was introduced in 20-gauge in 1930 --

and the 12- and 16-gauge Sportsman were added in 1931.

Your receiver was put in work during July 1935. The three-bird roll stamp was used from their introduction. By 1936 they dropped to the one-bird roll-stamping and dropped the S prefix to the serial number. In 1937 the stopped the separate serial number sequence for The Sportsman and began serial numbering all the receivers in the Model 11 serial number sequence, and putting the one-bird roll-stamping on all the A "Standard" Grade and B "Special" Grade receivers.

A plain barrel 12-gauge with a after market recoil pad is going to to be about $200 in the pawn shops in my area. My 12-gauge Sportsman with a solid rib, the quite scarce Imp. Mod. choke and the original butt plate was $275 out the door a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:36 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for the valuable information.