ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Value of Stevens Model 94C
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:31 pm 
Crown Grade

FWIW, the 2010 Standard Catalog of Firearms list typical values for Stevens Models 94, 94A and 94C as ranging from $ $25.-(poor) up to $ $150.-(Exc.) depending on the usual condition and demand criteria. The value of one handed down within one's family regardless of condition could be priceless.

Sorry, don't know the differences between the 94 and A, B & C versions. Perhaps Ned Fall and researcher01 can educate us on that.

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:28 am 
Presentation Grade

BOB36 wrote:
Dean,

Dont know . There seems to be several series of the c. Never realy paid much attention to them. I had been subjected to several hand me down shot guns when I was a kid. Then received this one for Christmas just befor my 10th birthday. It still has 90% of the orig finish on it . Typical the triger guard is worn off some , its pot or gray metel. The color has worn off the bottem of the frame. But that is oil coloring as you know and is thin at best. I have a great reverance for singles and what they represent as meat on the table guns. I cant think of anywhere one(single barrel) was not handy and ready to go when I was a kid growing up in southern Ohio. Along with all the others , the 94 Stevens is a goodern. Still just a 100 dollar gun. And thanks for the welcome.

For sure, Bob.
It doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to work.
I didn't know there were several series of the "C".
I've heard of the 94, 94A, 94B, 94C and 94BT, although I don't know what separates one from the other, but I also didn't know there were several series of each variation.
My '81 catalogue only lists a 94-C and a 9478, so maybe the others were already out of production by the time that catalogue was printed.

Dean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Alrighty now! This is my first posting in this forum so bear with me ... 8)

Hello, my name is Charlie. I make this sound like a AA meeting ... :P

My family and I currently have a .22 bolt action Springfield from my daddy that he bought back in '39 or so so he could hunt squirrel, rabbit, and armadillo growing up in South Texas. There is a good story there, ... for a later posting!

I am a newbie to the firearm ownership, but not the idea. I have no worries with or about guns. I believe in the 2nd Amendment and such. I am just new, very new to the inner workings and the anatomy of a gun. I am very interested in learning!

My posting revolves around this Stevens/Savage Model 94(x). I have a "Wards Texas Ranger Model 20" 12 gauge single shot shotgun with a 2 3/4" tube. My understanding is that this "is" a Stevens/Savage 94 model.

The stampings/markings on this one are:
"21" stamped in a small circle on the main frame in the upper right corner on the right hand side
"Proof Tested 12 gauge" stamped on the right side of loading end of barrel

After much diggin' in around the Net I believe the variations of the model have the letter designation pertaining to the gauge and/or major options of that particular model. I have looked for a "94" model and find an SAVAGE/STEVENS/SPRINGFIELD 94, 94B, 94C, 94H, 94Y SER K,M & P ... and such as that.

From what I gather, my guess is:
94 -> 12 gauge
94 A-> 12 gauge, possible different barrel/choke size?
94 B-> 16 gauge
94 C -> 20 gauge
94 D -> .410 gauge

The "Y" seems to be for the "youth" version. Others, I dunno yet. I am sure there will be slight variations within the letters of the model themselves for whoever was the primary seller of that shotgun trying to be different than the "other guy".

All this is my speculation, of course, and if you think I am wrong/right please let me know. I am here for the learning ... :) Can anyone shed more light on this for me?

I also have another SS shotgun, a 16 gauge. I have no idea of this one's model #. "Springfield" is the only name on it.
Other stampings/marks on it is as follows:
"Springfield, Savage Arms Corporation, Chicopee Falls Mass. U.S.A." stamped with no model number
A small arrow or tree symbol just above the forward trigger guard on left side
A "0" or a larger "O" stamped on bottom side of barrel directly under the forearm
"Selected Forged Steel" stamped on the upper right side of loading end of barrel
"Proof Tested - 16 gauge, - 2 3/4 Inch Chamber - " stamped on the upper left side of loading end of barrel
"Patent No. 2288901" raised on the underside of stock just to the side of the trigger

I hope I can find info and replacement parts for these. Thanks in advance for any help/info.

Charlie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:17 am 
Presentation Grade

Charlie,

Welcome to the forum.
The first gun you mention is the same as a Stevens-Savage 94.
The second gun could also be a 94.
Does it have an external hammer?
If not, it may be a Savage 220, which was a hammerless version of a 94.
Some were sold under the "Springfield" name, as well as "Springfield-Savage" and "Springfield-Westernfield".
The letter designation denoting gauge is not a correct assumption.
Case in point - my brother has owned a Stevens-Savage 94C since the mid 60's and it has always been a 16 ga. shotgun.
Hoever, my '81 Savage catalogue does mention that the "youth" version of the 94-C is noted as model "94-Y".
"Y" in the model number for most guns denotes a "youth" model, regardless of maker and/or model.

Dean

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:30 am 
Utility Grade

Forgive me for my errors. I have since found an exploded view of a "94C .410 shotgun" so maybe the number (94) would be the first of a line/model of gun while the letter (C) would be the "style" of that model of gun? Since the 94C now I find comes in 16, 20, and .410 gauges ... :)

Again, forgive my Newbie-ness, hamerless? I would assume the hammer in question is the part that I have to cock back so when I pull the trigger it hits the firing pin, am I correct? If so then is that the external hammer. If this is a correct assumption then how does a hammerless fire the pin? Newbie here .... :)

Thanks for all the help and education,

Charlie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:40 am 
Presentation Grade

Charlie,

Yes, the "hammer" is the part that actually strikes the firing pin, when the trigger is pulled.

I could explain what "hammerless" means, but maybe its easier to show you.

...External Hammer...

See the little tang sticking up near the top fo the receiver? That's the hammer.

...hammerless...

Note that the little tang cannot be seen. This style is known as "hammerless", although it is there. Its just inside of the receiver.

...and what's a receiver? That's the metal box-like structure that the barrel rests inside of and that the trigger and hammer are connected to.
Think of it as the "business district" of a gun. All the mechanisms that allow the gun to fire are located inside of the receiver.

Dean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Dean, thanks for the schoolin'. Appreciate it.

Never knew a shotgun or rifle could be hammerless. I understand the reciever part that it "recieves" the parts. Make sence.

I could use some help with names of parts. Can ya help? I had probs with the lever on the "Wards Texas Ranger", which I think is the same as the Savage Model 94 something, getting stuck and not being able to break open the barrel.

So, ... like a newbie, ... I took things apart, started pounding out the two pins on the side of the reciever, and got one half way out and the other almost out, and now they do not wanna go anymore. I would up taking off the butt stock and found what was wrong. The screw that holds the thumb lever fell out. It was still in the shotgun.

Now I gotta figure out how to reassemble that lever and screw. How do I tighten the screw while inside the reciever??? One tight fit! Do I need a special tool/stubby 90 degree driver? 8\

After that gets done I gotta figure out how to press those two pins back in. Guess my hands were workin' faster than my head! :P

Kinda got myself in a pickle here ....... :(

I wished I had some of that knowledge you guys have here. Love learning. Hate hitting a brick wall.

Charlie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:30 am 
Presentation Grade

Charlie,

A gunsmith, I'm not.
However, that is my suggestion - scoop up all those parts and take it to a gunsmith.
Explain to him (as best as you can) what has happened and what you're trying to accomplish.
The 'smith can do the work and get the gun operating in no time.
He/she will also have the knowledge to notice if anything else with the gun is askew, and let you know about it.
Maybe not exactly the answer you're looking for, but the best advice I can give.

Dean

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank ya, Dean.

I think I will. Gonna need a straight in press if I wanna get those pins in. I found a gunsmith a little over half an hour away. He wants about $80 for labor it seems. How's that sound?

Charlie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:38 am 
Presentation Grade

I guess that's ok.
Prices can tend to change, gegraphically...for pretty much anything.
If the 'smith sounds like a competent person to you, then I'd say its worth it to try him out.
At the very least, you'll get your gun fixed.

Dean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Just wanted to throw in my 2-cents worth. I was searcing the old internet looking for a value of some old guns in my safe and one just happens to be a Stevens 94C (no dash) in 410 gauge. I got it in 1983 from my wife's grand-father when I married her and she claims she was shooting it back in the mid 1960s. So much for dates

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:08 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the .02! Is good to hear from others on the same topic.

From what I understand, the value of these guns is low due to the high volume of produced arms. They are considered just good, used, old guns. I found the 12 gauge Wards Texas Ranger and the 16 gauge Savage from a private person who got them from his aunt after the uncle passed away. She could not remember much about them.

Charlie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:10 am 
Presentation Grade

Generally, singles aren't considered to have much monetary value because of "stigma".
...they ain't got much.
People realize that 99% of these guns sold for a modicum price, when new.
They're all lumped together under the heading of a "truck gun", "hardware store gun", or "workingman's gun".
More tool than art.
The only exception to this rule are competition guns, and then, the price is going to be exceedingly high, regardless of the action.

Tommy-T,

My brother's 16 gauge is a 94C and it doesn't have a hyphen either.
My original comment about that was in reference to how it was printed in the catalogue I have.

Dean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:00 am 
Utility Grade

I recently purchased a Stevens (12 ga?) single shot receiver from gunbroker.com. I knew it wasn't going to be worth much except maybe a little self pride and experience, but I was hoping to restore it back to a functional shotgun. I believe it is also a model 94 but in my limited research I have discovered that there are many variations of the 94 like the 94C, 94Y, etc. My question is how can I figure out which one it is so I can get the proper parts? Does anyone know of somewhere I could use the serial number to figure out my mystery receiver?

Thanks for any help/info.

http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/ad63 ... C08578.jpg

There are also some numbers stamped in the back of the receiver which fits into the stock. The numbers are visible in picture 6 and appear to be 931.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:57 am 
Presentation Grade

shughes573,

Couldn't view the pics (internet is slow here), but the model of the gun is actually written on the side of the receiver.
There were a number of variations to the 94, all designated by letter, not to mention the Stevens 107's, which I understand are essentially the same as the Stevens-Savage 94's.
"Y" does indicate a youth model, but the changes are only in the stock. All receivers were the same.
Try Numrich Gun Parts for replacement stocks.

Dean

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:05 pm 
Utility Grade

My Dad has a Stevens 94C. I can remember when I was about 7 and we went to his step-father's home to get the gun. This would have been about 1966. My Dad always called it a Long Tom and this thread helped confirm that. The only thing I haven't heard mentioned is some odd writing inside the gun. When you break the barrel down, on the bottom of the barrel, near the chamber, there are some a number and some symbols: a "7" and underneath the "7" from left to right, "ZN" and then what looks like a sideways omega symbol and then a leaning heart symbol.

Also, on the inside of the gun, right behind the plate that gives:

Stevens
Savage Arms Corporation
Chicopee Falls, Mass U.S.A.

... there are some very strange symbols. Not sure I can describe. From left to right, the first looks like a slice of loaf bread, then a left-pointing fancy arrow, then an "N", then a "Z".

Anyone know what these symbols are about?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Not 100% positive, but my guess would be proof marks and possibly some kind of "sorting" information for machinists and assemblers, while the gun was being made.
If you look at the innards of any gun, you're likely to find similar strange symbols.
Is that gun a 10 ga. or a 12 ga. and does your dad still have it, or has he handed it off to you?
Sounds like a nice old gun, either way.

Dean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:42 am 
Utility Grade

I have a 94c, no dash in 410 and it seems in good working order, is it safe to shoot it with modern ammo. It belonged to my father-in-law and I kinda inherited it without much info on it. I have know idea how old it is or when the last time it was shot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:06 am 
Presentation Grade

cigman,

To be certain, have a gunsmith check it out. Then you'll know for sure.

Dean

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:04 pm 
Utility Grade

New to the forum...I have a 94c (no hyphen) in 20 ga. with an external hammer but it has no checkering on the grip. I got is as a gift around 1980-81 and I believe it was used at that time. I've seen one YouTube video which shows a couple guys field stripping their model 94 (theirs was a 12 ga., I think) by unscrewing a screw on the underside of the forestock-my gun has no such screw. So I have never had the gun fully field stripped. I also saw another vid of a 94 which had an interchangeable barrel-I'm not sure which gauges. Anyone know anything about that?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next