ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Value of Stevens Model 94C
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Tim,

Your gun sounds just like my brother's gun.
It is an older version and was likely a used gun when you got it.
My brother's gun has no checkering either, and the forearm is not fluted.
To remove that forearm, simply pull down on it and it will unlatch.
It uses a little "S" shaped arm that works in a "snap-over-center" fashion.
At that point, if you unlock the barrel (as if you were to load it), it should fall right out of the receiver.
That's how you take those guns apart.
Later guns, apparently, used a screw to hold the forearm on (my H&R is like that).
The buttstock is removed by unscrewing a long screw which should be accessible once the buttplate is removed.
At that point, you can work on the reciever, or really get in there and do a super good cleaning.

DeanMk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:57 am 
Utility Grade

To keep the information highway going......

My hand-me-down is my dad's Pioneer Model 29, marketed by the Gambles Stores Inc, which I understand to be made by Stevens. I always thought that it was his first shotgun,(he was born in 1930) but never knew if he had bought it, or my grandpa had bought it for him. Wasn't as important at the time. Unfortunately, both have passed now. I shot my first rabbit, squirrel, and pheasant with it as well, but with no one to hand it down to, I may sell it, but would like a fair assessment as to the value .

No serial number, color case hardened receiver, blued barrel, which is kinda turning to the brown patina, but still more blue, and typical hunting dings. Over all metal is in great shape with a nice shinny bore. Left side of the barrel is stamped "proof tested 410 bore", under that is stamped "3 inch chamber". Opposite this is stamped "selected forged steel". On the lower right side of the receiver is stamped "-94A-". On the top of the right side is the number 21 in a circle. I'm not sure if the Stevens 94 was the first model, and the "A" added later, or if all 94's were "A's".

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:21 am 
Presentation Grade

aalf,

To the best of my knowledge, your gun is probably only worth in the range of FREE to $100, depending on how badly the perspective buyer wants it.
Unfortunately, singles have a rep for being a "low cost" tool, so resale is not real good.
The only exception to this rule is with competition trap guns.
Not all 94's are"A". There was 94, then A, B, C, T, and BT.
Not sure of differences, but would venture to say that lower lettered guns, or non-lettered guns are older.
Never heard of the Pioneer model 29 or Gambles Stores Inc, but a lot of small hardware stores across the country could have a gun stamped with their name on it, so as to offer a "house gun" which could be sold at a modicum price.
Stevens, Savage, H&R, etc., they've all offered this service at one time or another (not sure about nowadays, though).
Anyone who's read Shooting Times for any amount of time is famliar with the maker "H.D. Folsom Co.". They made a bunch of these "Hardware Store Guns" for various places between the 1880's and the 1920's.
None are worth very much, but some were fine shooters (others were better off as "wall-hangers" even when new).
If I were you, I'd make a provision in my will (when you get around to making one up) that says what is to be done with that gun upon your passing, and in the meantime continue to use it and enjoy it.
...and, one fine day, if someone happens along and just absolutely positively must have that gun, and if you're in just such a mood, well then, Bob's yer uncle!
It does sound like a nice gun and the dark patina will only enhance the look of the gun, AFAIC.
My grandfather's H&R (1900 or 1915) has that patina already and its just the sweetest little gun to look at.

DeanMk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:13 pm 
Utility Grade

DeanMk wrote:
aalf,

To the best of my knowledge, your gun is probably only worth in the range of FREE to $100, depending on how badly the perspective buyer wants it.
Unfortunately, singles have a rep for being a "low cost" tool, so resale is not real good.
The only exception to this rule is with competition trap guns.
Not all 94's are"A". There was 94, then A, B, C, T, and BT.
Not sure of differences, but would venture to say that lower lettered guns, or non-lettered guns are older.
Never heard of the Pioneer model 29 or Gambles Stores Inc, but a lot of small hardware stores across the country could have a gun stamped with their name on it, so as to offer a "house gun" which could be sold at a modicum price.
Stevens, Savage, H&R, etc., they've all offered this service at one time or another (not sure about nowadays, though).
Anyone who's read Shooting Times for any amount of time is famliar with the maker "H.D. Folsom Co.". They made a bunch of these "Hardware Store Guns" for various places between the 1880's and the 1920's.
None are worth very much, but some were fine shooters (others were better off as "wall-hangers" even when new).
If I were you, I'd make a provision in my will (when you get around to making one up) that says what is to be done with that gun upon your passing, and in the meantime continue to use it and enjoy it.
...and, one fine day, if someone happens along and just absolutely positively must have that gun, and if you're in just such a mood, well then, Bob's yer uncle!
It does sound like a nice gun and the dark patina will only enhance the look of the gun, AFAIC.
My grandfather's H&R (1900 or 1915) has that patina already and its just the sweetest little gun to look at.

DeanMk

Thanks for the reply.

I've got other guns that need to be in the will way before a hundred dollar 410.... :D

I guess the Gambles stores are more of a mid-west thing. I bought a couple of guns from a Coast to Coast store way back when, which were made by Marlin under the Western Field banner as well.

I had figured the gun at around the $100 range. I do have a friend that's got three youngsters that hopefully will be into the hunting fields in a few more years, that may be the recipient of me passing the torch, which is worth more than a Ben.

Al

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:07 pm 
Utility Grade

hey everyone, I to have a savage 94 variation.
here's the markings I have:
on the left side of the receiver are: WARDS WESTERN FIELD
below that is: MODEL 10-SB94- B (there is a notable space between the "-" and the final "b")
on the right side of the receiver is: MODEL 94C
also there is a circle with "4E" written in it
the barrel reads: SELECTED FORGED STEEL
PROOF TESTED 20 GAUGE
---- 2 3/4 INCH CHAMBER ----

other things to note are as I've seen on the net, the trigger guard is aluminum or pot metal, the forearm attaches via the lazy S spring (snap on vice screw on).

something nobody has tried yet to date these guns is see if the forearm being snap on verse screw on is year dependant, maybe after a certain production year they changed to screw on.

I do have a few questions about my gun though. The shells do not eject out, the spring loaded ejector is there but the metal piece(ejector hook) that flares out and contours to the groove on the receiver is not present. My first one, is this preventing my shells from ejecting? What will it take to have this part put on, do I press out the 2 pins at the bottom of the barrel and install it? Any help on this issue would be awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:19 pm 
Utility Grade

and another thing. Most places that have new barrels have the screw on fore end style. With a new proper fore end and barrel can one change from 20 gauge to 12 or 410?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:35 am 
Presentation Grade

hiltu,

I suspect your gun dates from the 1950's.
"Western Field" was Montgomery-Wards's outdoor/sports line.
Your gun is a Stevens-Savage 94C and sounds like the same gun that my brother has owned since the mid 1960's.
I know that the 1981 catalogue shows the Model 94C with a screw-on forearm, so my best guess is that the forearm attachment changed sometime between the mid-60's and the early-80's.
There are no serial numbers on these guns and it's my understanding that Savage never kept any kind of "detailed" production records of these guns, while they were being produced.
Nowadays, Savage does not produce any type of single shot shotgun at all.
As far as your mechanical problems go, I would suggest you find a competent gunsmith and have him handle it. Chances are good that the claw for the ejector has broken off and would require replacement of the whole piece. Chances are also good that the spring which attaches to the ejector is pretty strong and trying to R&R that ejector may result in possible bodily harm, if you're not totally sure about what you're doing.
The 'smith would also be able to advise you on whether you can make that gauge change, although I suspect that your choices might be slimmer, if possible at all.

Good luck. Let us know how things turn out.

DeanMk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:44 am 
Presentation Grade

aalf wrote:
I had figured the gun at around the $100 range. I do have a friend that's got three youngsters that hopefully will be into the hunting fields in a few more years, that may be the recipient of me passing the torch, which is worth more than a Ben.

Al

Agreed, 100%
You can't put a price on passing on tradition.
I dd hope you get to go through with that.

Dean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:16 pm 
Utility Grade

as far as barrel change outs, does anyone know if the receivers are different dimensions for different gauges? The only difference I know for sure is that the fore ends are different depending on diameter of the barrel to contour them correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:20 pm 
Utility Grade

I'd like to add a tip here too. For people with the snap on fore end, some may notice its sloppy and maybe even pops off when shooting the gun. I used a neoprene strap to keep mine on. When I got it from my grandpa it had electrical tape around it and the barrel. If you take the lazy S spring out of the fore end and apply a good amount of heat you can straighten it out a bit. My fore end went from nearly falling off just sitting there to being able to shoot without popping off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:14 pm 
Utility Grade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nice!!! {hs#

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:07 pm 
Utility Grade

I went to a gun shop today and they had a newer 16 gauge stevens 94. The receiver for the 16 gauge along with barrel "lug" ( I think that's the right term) are slightly wider than my 20 gauge. The owner suspects that 20 gauges and .410s interchange and the 12 and 16 gauges interchange

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:44 am 
Presentation Grade

hiltu,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this thread.
Just wanted to insert this pic of my brother's Stevens-Savage 94C, for comparison with your shotgun.
My father bought this gun, used, back in the late 1960's for my brother so they could go bird hunting together.

The other gun, an H&R 088 Topper, is mine.

DeanMk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:41 am 
Utility Grade

nice Dean. I just picked up a savage 219 in .22 hornet. Only difference is the internal hammer, otherwise they are identical guns. Gonna throw a scope on it and maybe rechamber to .22 k hornet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Newbie here. I stumbled upon this thread & figured I'd add a bit of info about the Model 94.

I have a Stevens/Savage 94B that has been in my family for as long as I can remember. I assume my dad aquired it sometime in the 40's to teach my older brothers and I how to safely handle a firearm & to hunt.

The gun appears to be a youth model but does not have an y on it anywhere that I can see. It is a 16 ga. that, unlike others mentioned here, has a dark brown hollow plastic stock & plastic forearm making it very light. Receiver is color case harden finish & blued finish barrel. Does not have a serial #.

If there is any interest, I could post pics sometime.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

1940's sounds about like the right time, considering the stock.
I read somewhere about those old plastic stocks. They only used them for a short time, somewhere around the late 40's/early 50's, and (if memory serves), they were used on various brands, so those companies probably bought that stock from an outside source.
If its a youth model, the length of pull should be between 12-13" (common length used by several manufacturers).

Dean

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One of our hunting club members has a Model 94 in 20 gauge. He changes out the barrel from time to time for a 410 when we are rabbit hunting. He sawed the barrels off to 20 inches and that gun is deadly on rabbits. Ain't no good for squirrels though. Too much scatter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:16 am 
Presentation Grade

I know this is an old, old thread but I received my 20 ga 94c as a Christmas present in 1961 +- a year. Recently had it restored.

W

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:22 am 
Presentation Grade

Nice to hear people are still using the singles they learned to shoot with.
That's history!

Dean

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next